ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

15" or 16" wheels on a 182 Cup?

PUG 106 RALLYE
Would there be any benifit in fitting 15" wheels to a 182 Cup for track work or handling?

Thanks.

Silver Clio 172 Cup
I'm currently thinking of going for some cheap 15s on my 172 cup. In theory handling could be improved by reduced wheel/tyre weight, particularly as the weight is rotating. But, assuming the same type of tyres and same pressures you will have a slightly smaller contact patch so this improvement in handling would theoretically be at the expense of outright grip.

Personally I think all this is BS and you won't really notice it. The main thing you'll notice is that 15" tyres are loads cheaper than 16" and you'll have a set of track rims which you can stick stupid rubber on which you don't have to use every day. I'm quite keen on the idea.

But does anyone here know the offset and PCD for 16" turinis as fitted to my cup and what would be suitable cheap 15s which I could swap to? Looks don't bother me, I just need some cheap and nasty (but not outright minging) wheels for track work.

Apologies for thread hijack, but since we're both talking about the same thing I hope nobody minds...

Vauxhall Combo!
My fiesta has 15"s It costs £35 per corner for yoko's and £45 for yoko advan's they're fitted prices!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've run two different sets of 15's on track, and don't know the offset of either.

What tyres I run on them makes far more of a difference.

15's are worth it in that not only is the rubber cheaper, but you also get a wider choice of track rubber than you would for 16's.

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
I used to run on 15s until just recently... I was running the mk1 172 oz f1 cup alloys (et42) with 195/50/16 goodyear f1 eagles. Compared to the standard cup wheels theres alot of difference! Turn in is quicker, which caught me out in the beginning. Acceleration is quicker, you feel this as being a little more torquer when accelerating. Slowing down is better. There is slightly less grip and I believe that this is down the smaller contact patch.

the standard alloys weigh 18kg with tyre and the oz f1 cups are 16kg per tyre. The rolling radius is slightly smaller but not by much.

I would recommend anybody that goes for 15s should go for 205 width and not 195s. Thats what I am getting when these wear out.

I've got 15s on my cup, its much more fun to drive, i think due to the 50 profile tyres. Not tried them on a trackday yet but i've enjoyed plenty of roundabouts and feel much more confident to slide the car about a bit.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Its a problem, because you can only buy tyre sizes that are available.

There's a good range of tyre sizes for 16" wheels, but they're expensive.

And tyres for 15" wheels are cheaper, but that's at least partly because people usually buy larger wheels for performance, and smaller wheels for cheapness, so there isn't the range of good tyres.

15" wheels and low profile 205s, ideally 205/45s or 205/40s, would be good on the track. It'd reduce wheel weight. It'd reduce tyre diameter which would lower the car and improve handling. And it'd lower the gearing a bit and improve acceleration. You don't need as high a top speed. But you can't get road tyres that size. Its just not what anyone needs on the road.

If its just for the track, what about a set of hardish racing tyres on 15x7 wheels? There are a couple of different one-make classes that have tyres about the right size. And racing tyres are fun.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  GTi 7.5 pp/Mx5 nd2
i have gone to 16" from 15" but still 195's width.
dunno why but feels a bit less chuckable with the 16s and i cant put finger on it exactly but did feel better with 15s. but they just looked like pram wheels. so its a compromise.