ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

15" Ultraleggera with 4pot calipers

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Hello guys!
I am finally at the decision of my new wheels..
My car is a highly tuned172 I use as a track toy so I want to stick with 15" x 7j wheels.
Since I am looking for lightness.. I am thinking of OZ Ultraleggera wheels (et37) but I am concerned about calipers clearance, on my car I have 280mm rotors and 4pot wilwood calipers.
Now I have some Sparco Cromodora 15x7j et36 wheels which fit nicely without need of spacers. So I want a wheel I can fit without spacers too. Car's track has been already widened with wishbone camber bushings and also subframe modification.
I've looked here and there in the forum but cannot find a plain straight info about brakes clearance.
Do someone experience fitting 15" ultraleggeras with a 280mm rotor and wilwood caliper or something like that?
I can go with a trusty set of evocorse which I know will clear my calipers but they are heavier..
Thank you

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
The wilwood calipers are quite compact so i would imagine they will fit ok, its only the meg brembos that usually give issues.

I run et43 2118 with wilwoods/reyland rotors and bells and loads of clearance without spacers.

Clio 172 + Clio200T
I did't had so much problems of clearance with wilwoods.. so maybe its ok like you say, but before spending 1000€ on a set of wheels I prefer to be reeeeally sure heheh

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I’ve got the 197 brembo conversion on my ph 1 with et38 ultraleggera’s and 280mm discs. I’ve had to run a 15mm spacer as the wheel is conical and narrows by the spokes. Admittedly the brembo calipers are bigger than the wilwood ones

Clio 172 + Clio200T
I’ve got the 197 brembo conversion on my ph 1 with et38 ultraleggera’s and 280mm discs. I’ve had to run a 15mm spacer as the wheel is conical and narrows by the spokes. Admittedly the brembo calipers are bigger than the wilwood ones
Thank you for your feedback mate!
That's exactly what I fear.
Back in the days I had OZ superturismo and when I fitted 406 brembos they didt fit because of clearance on spokes roots because of same reason.
Yes wilwoods are narrower and smaller but.. point is.. how much!
I'll wait for other feedbacks to hopefully make it more clear.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Thank you for your feedback mate!
That's exactly what I fear.
Back in the days I had OZ superturismo and when I fitted 406 brembos they didt fit because of clearance on spokes roots because of same reason.
Yes wilwoods are narrower and smaller but.. point is.. how much!
I'll wait for other feedbacks to hopefully make it more clear.

You're doing the right thing mate.

Loads of people out there will tell you they or their mate has XYZ wheels on. Then negate to say they have spacers, ground calipers, machined bracket etc etc. Also worth asking those who you know are running the Wilwood kit. Brigsy is as is Thomas Brentnal. Im sure there are a number of others. If you can find a wheel that will fit over the Brembos, you will almost certainly know they will acomodate the smaller Wilwood calipers too.

I can tell you 1000% the EVO Corse X3MA fit without any spacers or mods and are 6.5kg a rim. The Braid Fullrace and Fullrace C also fit but are also 6.5/7.2kg respectively.

Clio 172 + Clio200T
You're doing the right thing mate.

Loads of people out there will tell you they or their mate has XYZ wheels on. Then negate to say they have spacers, ground calipers, machined bracket etc etc. Also worth asking those who you know are running the Wilwood kit. Brigsy is as is Thomas Brentnal. Im sure there are a number of others. If you can find a wheel that will fit over the Brembos, you will almost certainly know they will acomodate the smaller Wilwood calipers too.

I can tell you 1000% the EVO Corse X3MA fit without any spacers or mods and are 6.5kg a rim. The Braid Fullrace and Fullrace C also fit but are also 6.5/7.2kg respectively.
Thank you!
I think its the only way to spend money right (if buying car parts can be intended as right spent money lol) and avoid big big problems.
I always do modifications to my clio myself.. from fritting the new engine, to machining /welding parts.. so if there is then a problem I am the one who will need to sort it out.
Also spend 1000€ on not fitting wheels will be a huuuge problem.
So I am glad you understood my point of view.
Speaking of X3MA they are my first choice.. even a friend got them and let me try them.. I was tempted by ultra because my new target is to move from my 950kg to the lightest possible..
@Coops Mk1 runs wilwoods on his valver with 172 hubs iirc, i think he runs superleggeras.

That's interesting! I hope he will reply with his experience!! Thank you for addressing him

Clio 172 + Clio200T
@Coops Mk1 runs wilwoods on his valver with 172 hubs iirc, i think he runs superleggeras.
I update this thread so it may be useful to other people looking for Ultraleggera fitting info..
I chatted with the suggested user, he confirmed wilwood but with 295rotors, no spacers, only thing he is running superleggera which was the model before ultra.
There should not be many differences but.. not sure.

Yesterday I had my mom's twingo here so I took one of her wheels to have a check.
They are 15" x 6j (so.. being narrower the spokes are more near to the caliper than a 7j would) and same ert (et38).
They bolt fine and have a pretty clearance.
May I assume that with a 7j ultraleggera clearance would be way more? Caliper is pretty far from hub so the spoke inner radius should not be a problem (lile I had with 406 brembos and superturismo).

Attachments

• IMG_20221002_165620.jpg
    IMG_20221002_165620.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20221002_165648.jpg
    IMG_20221002_165648.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20221002_165614.jpg
    IMG_20221002_165614.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 44

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure where youre based but is there a local Clio group where you could put out a "wanted" post to see if someone has an Ultraleggera you could just test fit?
Maybe even email OZ in Italy to see if they can send you a template you can print, cut out and test fit?

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Not sure where youre based but is there a local Clio group where you could put out a "wanted" post to see if someone has an Ultraleggera you could just test fit?
Maybe even email OZ in Italy to see if they can send you a template you can print, cut out and test fit?
I am based in Italy!
Already asked to friends but no one got a ultraleggera in that size to try.

That's a good suggestion!
Even tho I tried to contact OZ in the past without success.. I'll try again!
I'll keep you guys updated!
Thank you!!!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
i would say should be fine looking at the clearance on that twingo wheel

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Ok guys.. after researches, chats and tests.. I finally decided to go and buy them.
I just received a nice message from my dealer that they are there.

I am planning to get them next week (since he is not so near where I live and I am super busy theese days).

As soon as I will fit on the clio I'll update this thread so that it may be helpful for others.
I'll have them with some nice fresh AR1 tires.. can't wait!!

Attachments

• IMG-20221006-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20221006-WA0003.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-20221006-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20221006-WA0004.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 39
  Clio 172 + Clio200T
Hello guys.. as promised I am back with the results! It took me a while because super busy with work, and also been a bit ill.. anyway here we are.
Today I've picked up the wheels and fitted my new AR-1 tires... fitted on the clio as soon as I come home obviously!
I can definitely say that Caliper clearance is not an issue They really have lots of space around the caliper and also between caliper body and spokes.
I was talking with my friend of the garage and when those rotors will be over... we'll check if we can stuck a bigger rotor (will be something more "pro" with brembo or AP bands with custom ergal bell).
So.. pictures time!

p.s. Last pic is a bonus because I love how fat those wheels look with AR-1!

Attachments

• IMG_20221029_180224.jpg
    IMG_20221029_180224.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20221029_180431.jpg
    IMG_20221029_180431.jpg
    877.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20221029_180352.jpg
    IMG_20221029_180352.jpg
    940.5 KB · Views: 89

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
That looks great👍

Exactly the same wheel/tyre combo I'd like to get at some point.

Do you know how much smaller the Wilwood calipers are than brembos? Do you think 197 brembos and 280mm discs would fit under these as well?

Clio 172 + Clio200T
That looks great👍

Exactly the same wheel/tyre combo I'd like to get at some point.

Do you know how much smaller the Wilwood calipers are than brembos? Do you think 197 brembos and 280mm discs would fit under these as well?
Thank you!
Good Choice! it will look great!
Thats a good question.. I never had some 197 brembos on mine (even tho I dreamed of them for a while) So I cannot give you a certain answer. I can say Wilwoods are very very compact calipers especially width wise. Being brembos a "longer" calipers.. they would surely be very near the inner surface of wheel.. But they may fit. Whats doubts me more... is the width. I'll attach a picture took on the inside of spokes. Here can be clearly seen the clearance (I only have a small 5mm spacer) with my calipers. Clearance near pistons axis center is good, so they may fit, but if you lookat lower caliper edge.. shape of spoke comes very very near.. thats where it could hit the brembo. Best would be to have some measurements...
Unfortunately my friend's garage is not near me so I only go there once in a while.. because he has a racing clio with brembos. a fit test could have been made!!
I'll try to keep in mind, if some day I go to his garage I'll try to bring one clio wheel to have a check.
Look great (y)
Thank you mate!

Attachments

• IMG_20221029_144515.jpg
    IMG_20221029_144515.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 52

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for taking the picture, that does already look tight, might work with bigger spacers but was hoping to get away with 5mm max myself.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Good work, been running same setup for years on my 15" superleggeras. The original Speedline Maracanas also fit over them so loads of clearance with the Wilwoods

IMG_20210411_102410_751.jpg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
That does look close to the barrel though! No issues with cooling?

Do wheel weights fit?

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Can get a steel rule between the barrel and caliper. Did a couple of races on them no problem. But did have to mount the weights on inside of the wheel.

Reactions: MLB

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I got my kit second hand but it's a Jamsport setup and they still sell them direct

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Thanks for taking the picture, that does already look tight, might work with bigger spacers but was hoping to get away with 5mm max myself.
No its not so tight as it looks! If you need.. I can take more pictures with a ruler to give you better idea! Difficult to say.. on mine I have 5mm spacers and I got that clearance.
Good work, been running same setup for years on my 15" superleggeras. The original Speedline Maracanas also fit over them so loads of clearance with the Wilwoods

View attachment 1618259
Your experience is what made me decide to jump the leap! As you pointed out in our chat.. ultra and super are tight Brothers so.. they have also kinda same fitment!
They do fit over Brembos but need a spacer. I used 10mm probably get away with a little bit smaller though.

View attachment 1618299
Hey! This is not a good news.. hahaha now the brembo thing would start to dig into my mind!! Hahaha
Looks mega!
Where did you buy wilwood calipers ?
If you interested.. my kit was for 280mm oem rotors and I bought it from KTEC

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I use a 15mm spacers on my ultraleggera’s so they fit. I’ve also had 5mm taken off the caliper and using 285mm discs. Normally do 3 or 4 trackdays and road blasts a year and never had a problem even though they look pretty tight to the wheel

0BE20D97-1F42-4E34-9E8D-36BB53030390.jpeg
37A1D44C-A1CB-4EE9-B69A-0CE1671F6E32.jpeg
3A9CC36A-A19C-423E-9DCC-8FF8178FEF0A.jpeg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Brilliant, is that the PMS 285mm two piece disc?

Do you know what the space is between the caliper bolts and the wheel barrel? I'd like to fit BYC cooling plates so they'd push out the bolts 2 or 3mm.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
@MLB there not the Puremotorsport version. I got the bells off eBay a few years ago and had Hi spec make the rotors to suit the bells. If I was doing it again I’d definitely go for puremotorsport version.
There’s definitely enough bolt length to fit those BYC plates as I was going to get them but I found that ducting air into the wheel well cooled everything enough on track that I can do 20 minutes and over with 0 brake fade. Only thing stopping me now is the tyres going off! :rolleyes:

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for confirming. Sounds like I'll be needing better tyres soon 😂