ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16's or 17's?

BG 182
Im debating on wether a 16 inch wheel would look better under a 30mm drop front and back than a 17 inch wheel.. What size would you choose?

Thanks,
Danni

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
17's for looks, but you would need a bigger drop than 30mm. coilovers ideally. and it WILL handle worse, trust me, i've been there.

16's are the perfect balance imo, they look great and are the same size as OE

BG 182
I was thinking that if i went for 17's then the gap between the arch and the top lip of the tyre would be bigger than if i had 16's?

Black-Gold 182
I'm running on 16s on my 182 at the moment, but apparently if you're after a better handling car, then 15s are the way forward. If you're after looks, 17s will give the best, but will be crashy as hell on all the bumps. 16s is a comprimise of the two.

BG 182
Me and Clio_Craig are fitting his 17'' kei force 10's this afternoon to see what it looks like so I will get a better ideal on how they are going to sit under the arches.. Im starting to think 16's would be a much more sensible and wise decision though..

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The only plus point in terms of driving that 17" will give you, is slightly better motorway cruising.

I went from the standard 14" on my PGGT up to 17" - and while they looked the t1ts, it totally destroyed what little form of handling that the Punto had in the first place.

Granted, there's little difference between 16 and 17 compared to 14 and 17, but I doubt I'd ever go there again. Handling all the way! :)

D.

Mk4 .:R32
I've recently changed my 17's for 16" turinis, much better. 17's look slightly better, but seeing as the clio is a small car which is based around performance and handling, I'd go with 16's ;)

Clio MK 4
16" for performance 17' for looks.

Which do you prefer? I have 17" and they don't look that big on the clio.

My last car I had 16" wheels with low profile tyre (40 - same as 17") and lowered 60mm and it looked awsome! Whoulod do that with my clio but the arches are a lot bigger than when I had the corsa.

I would go 16" with a lower profile tyre, if you go any bigger it will affect the speedo.
17" could rub too..and in my opinion will look like dustbin lids.

Mk2 Ph2 1.4 16v Dynamic
christophe what wheels have you got on your clio, look HOT from the pic lol, getting wheels myself, had TSW 16inc droped 55mm on clio mk1 and it handeled amazing, now have a mk2 ph2 1.4 16v dynamic and im debating 16inc or 17inc, think 16 as a freind has 16s and look the sex ..

Clio MK 4
TSW multispoked ones not sure what called exactly. I had 16" on my corsa and looked awsome wouldnt have changed them at all.

I find 17" wheels look smaller on clios than corsas.

I got 17" wolfrace street mantis wheels for sale fitted with flush fit valves and 205/40/17 toyo T1-R tyres with nearly new tread. £300 if anyone interested pm me.

mark

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i had 16" turinis on my 1.2 16v..... for a week! then went back to 15's. it handled pants on 16s.

after having my 172 on 15s for a test, im already saving up for some speedline 2118's in 15"!!!

clio sport 172
My first post and this thread is just what im looking for. I guess from the pics on the forum that most of you know your stuff about cars and i also noticed that most of you go for 16's.
I dont see that many out here but all the 172's come with 15's as standard (dont know why?). I was at the local Renault garage the other day and an identical red 172 as mine pulled up but it was lowered with 17's on (it also had an engine re-map and exhaust). Anyway ,straight away i wanted 17's but am aware most of you have 16's. Is there a definite reason for this?
Is the handling really that shocking on the bigger rims? Ive had other types of cars on 17's and 18's with lowered suspension and the ride was actually improved (albeit on bigger cars) .
Even though ive had bigger rims i do like the look of standard 16inchers on 172's and 182's.

advice is welcome

cheers guys:)

My first post and this thread is just what im looking for. I guess from the pics on the forum that most of you know your stuff about cars and i also noticed that most of you go for 16's.
I dont see that many out here but all the 172's come with 15's as standard (dont know why?). I was at the local Renault garage the other day and an identical red 172 as mine pulled up but it was lowered with 17's on (it also had an engine re-map and exhaust). Anyway ,straight away i wanted 17's but am aware most of you have 16's. Is there a definite reason for this?
Is the handling really that shocking on the bigger rims? Ive had other types of cars on 17's and 18's with lowered suspension and the ride was actually improved (albeit on bigger cars) .
Even though ive had bigger rims i do like the look of standard 16inchers on 172's and 182's.

advice is welcome

cheers guys:)

IIRC the reason you only get the 15s even on phase 2 172's out in Aus (and in several other countries) is due to some sort of type approval on the 16" tyres not being met so they continued to use the 15s. I've tried 17s on a 172 before and while they didnt seem bad when they were fitted the car felt noticeably better when i took them off and reverted to the 16s. You will find alot of people on here feel the same way once they go back to 16s for whatever the reason, yet those who have still got the 17s fitted dont seem to notice.

I put 17s on mine and it looks fantastic...... however ride quality suffers, handling suffers etc etc. Do I regret it hmm... sometimes definitely, I kept my old turinis and they may well end up refurbed with quality tyres ready to go back on soon.

If you bought the car for the image and you tootle up and down highstreets for cred then 17s work. If you bought it for it's sweet handling and performance then no bigger than 16s imho.

BG 182
Just thought id give a bit of feedback, I went with the majority of people on this one and got the 16's as some of your may know, I believe you were all right that said 16's would suit better for handling, its perfect! Lowered 30m too now, and it handles brilliantly! Im really pleased I decided to go for 16's and not 17's now. Thanks everyone! Much appreciated ;)

Danni Boy