ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v 7.7 to 60mph

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Im more than happy with the performance of my 16v as i kept with clean16vs very fast vavler after his immediate leap 3 yards ahead due to coilovers and 195 tyres in a 1st and 2nd gear change drag race at a certain Thursday nite cruise in south Manchester. Altough im sure his extra power would have made a bigger difference through 2nd & 3rd gear.

My unfair testing of 0-60 times in my 16v wouldnt result in me to break the 8 sec barrier, althougth im sure with tyres/petrol/surface/temp it would do it comfortably. But in all my previous cars i can break the book 0-60 time without all factors being perfect.

NO FIBBERS! Can most people actually get a genuine 7.7 0-60 sprint time from there 16v?

Some people have got low 7s (including Autocar in 1991). But cars and conditions vary so I wouldnt worry too much. Goes to show that driving technique can net you speed gains without any dosh.:D

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

My driving is nothing for anyone to worry about, but your obviously Michael Schmacher . So whats your time? Honestly?

Can everyone whos had a passenger stop-watch your time just post the result concisely? Cheers.

LOL! Im no street racing guru - ask Craggy about that! It took me ages to get my starting technique perfect, but then I rarely find anyone wants a traffic light grand prix.

Ive never timed mine, but Id hope its in the low sevens as the car is tuned.

When your talking acurate readings, a passenger with a stopwatch is not going to even get close to accurate.

Just think about it. It needs to be in a completely controlled enviroment to be able to find the accurate 0-60 time. And Renault probably either take the mean average of a bunch of 0-60 times or the best one they managed to get. But if they did just use a freak 0-60 time (ie a very low one that never got reproduced) then they would get complaints. So its probably a average. Which means that there are going to be 0-60 times to both ends of the 7.7 claimed response.

Thats my pov anyway.

Paul

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Tell me something thats not blindingly obvious. Not that u havent got a point but its as good a way of timing your 0-60mph as any other that doesnt involve expensive equip.

None of you have even submitted a time yet. Come on.

My 16v on a good run can manage 8 sec dead with PiperX IK, Scorpion exhaust & de-cat pipe. Although like i said it will do 7.7 under perfect conditions im sure.

All I was mainly meaning was this:

If your mate is sitting next to you there is really only 2 ways of them knowing when you hit 60. Its pretty odviose when you start rolling (even though they will probably be a few hundreths out and then a couple more to realise that your moving and take the required response of pressing the stopwatch start button). But the main part is when you reach 60. They could look at your speedo from the passanger seat, but from the angle they are at it looks like it hits 60 before it actually does. They could sit behind you but it will be difficult as your accelerating hard and so they will have to hang onto your seat to be able to see the speedo. Inpractical that way really. The only other way is for when you reach 60 for you to shout out and they press stop watch stop button. The problem there is the time it takes you to say stop, the time it takes for the sound to travel to there ears, the time it takes to proccess it and command the stop button. So a 7.5 time could quite easily be timed at 7 or 8 seconds. Its only really good for giving a rough time.

So when someone says they got 8.2 doing that way, your going to have just remember how they recorded it.

But saying that, its a good guide.

Paul

mk2 172

i can get an indicated 7 secs flat with wheelspin in the vts, from video footage timed using the software

on an AP-22 i managed a best of 7.45sec. but that was before i realised my lethal take-off techniques;), and you have seen em Mike, i would hope that knocks a good .45sec off?

Trophy

My Valver will do it in 6.69s timed with a Racelogic V-Box and was in last months PGti but mine is not standard.

Trouble is, it is hard to get an accurate reading of a 0-60 time even with an ap-22, would be useful if they timed it on the 1/4 mile.

Mat.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Cheers, if uve got 17s on it takes aprrox .4 longer to 60 as i found out, but then with 15s 185s youve got insufficent grip in my opinion, as i have to spin a little to get the best drag start. Im positive when my 16s arrive and i catch a dry day with me new Yokos on ill be doin 7.7s for fun.

My aim is flat 7s to outrun any VTS i come across. Little more tweaking here and there and theyll be history. :D:cool::devilish:

Plus a point to add is that ive always had a passenger to operate the stop watch which will make a difference soon as 16vs have less torque than a VTS i think.

8.5 seonds in the wet, round a corner(gentle but noticable) with 1 passenger and a tonne of stereo, lots of wheelspin. Clearly not perfect conditions, i was just bored one night. Reckon i could definately get below 8, not sure about 7.7.

silver valver/hybrid

i did two runs, using a stopwatch, got 7.44 and 7.52, just myself in the car, hill power chip and ik, scorpion cat back exhaust.