ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16V breather pipes

clio williams, Ph1 172

Hi I mentioned a while ago about my 16v cuttin out every so often. Its not done it for a while but it did it again today.

I have a K&N filter on it (I know they are meant to be sh*te) it came on the car when i got it. I noticed that one of the breather pipes is not attached to it. I tried to get it on but the b*****d is so tight I cant get it on. Do you think this could be causing it???? I want an airbox if anyones got one on the cheap

Cheers

Paul

Make sure it is attached as youll be drawing unfiltered air into the car. Im guessing with that the K & N itll be the hose that bypasses the inlet manifold. Just think of all the crap itll be drawing in!!

To put it right, take of the whole induction assembly off the throttle body unit. You do this by unscrewing the tightening screw on the circlip.

When its off, youll see that the main unit has the big hole (that the circlip goes around) and a smaller hole. The smaller hole should have a small length of pipe in it, about 1 inch long, and protruding about a half inch either side of the bottom of the unit. If it doesnt, this bit of pipe might still be stuck to the small flexible hose that was loose in the first place.

When you replace the unit youll have to mate the pipe with the flexible hose, usually before youve fully tightened the main unit into place. Use some Vaseline or Fairy Liquid if the flexible hose wont slip over the little pipe. It also helps if the two are warm (use a hairdryer to help if needs be!!).

Good luck!

172 exclusive no 172

Paul, my valver is having the same problem, does it mainly happen when the engine in warm ??

When it starts happening it usually cuts out when it drops down the revs to idle. then starts to idle irratically.

looking at some past threads people have suggested that it could be the coolant sensor.

hope this info is good for you.