ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v dashboards

Hi im kinda new to this forum, so Hi!

Ive just dropped on a 16v interior in a scrapyard, and I took the dash as well. I have a phase 3 1.2 and the dash swapped over surprisingly easy, the speedo and rev counter work spot on but i was wondering if anyone has swapped their dash over as i have a few probs.

1.) Ive connected the oil gauges up, but when I put the sidelights on, only the pressure gauge lights up? ive replaced and checked all the bulbs?

2.) Any ideas how the temp guage works, i know it was cold today but it aint -30C!

finally, If i get a oil sendor unit for a valver, will it fit on my engine and will it get those sexy gauges working?

Sorry its such a long question, cheers, Ian

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

the temp gague u will need the 16v mirrors for or atleast the little temp prob that is on the wingmirror.

MalicE

You have a Mk1, Phase3, and you got a Rev counter which worked?

Well, thats odd - mine wouldnt.. I had to have it all converted cus of the Electronic Ignition Module. 16v doesnt use the same ignition system as the 1996-1998 1.2 Engines.. so I dont see how? :confused:

As for the oil senders, the 1.2 Phase3 Engine (DIET) is a lot different, so I dont think so - if you find a way tho, let me know - I would like them myself!

Daz.

yeah, there were three multiplugs in my old dash (130mph speedo and fuel gauge) I took them out and just matched them up, the temp gauge plug was hidden away in the loom.

My baby is a 97 p reg rl with the 1149 diet engine, dunno why it worked, I just thought id give it a go and i was lucky i guess

Woah. This is weird.. my Rev counter cost me £70 to get working (ontop of the cost of the dials) all because of the Electronic Ignition - the Rev counter just didnt work!

What else worked out of the box? The only things which worked on mine was the Speedo, lights, Petrol Guage and the Coolant Temperature... The Oil Level doesnt work, and as I say, I had to get the Rev Counter working!

Suzuki SV650

Lo m8 could u tell me where u found the bloody temp guage plug?!?! Ive got the main 16v dials (but not the oil ones, as I havent got the senders afaik) in my 91 RT and Ive got everything working except for the temp thingy. Got the passenger side wingmirror with the tempsensor inside it but the plugs are different. Looking at the Haynes manual and the temp sensor apparently goes to the 16v ECU and *then* to the back of the dials/temp sensor. Now not having a 16v ECU I dont think its possible to get this done, but you say youve got a temp sensor plug hidden away in ur loom! You didnt have to cut any wires or anything did you? I was going to give up on the temp sensor thing and try to make something else up with some bits and bobs from Maplins, but youve given me a bit of hope!!

Renault created some weird stuff back in France!!!

£70! bloody hell, After I took the dash top off, there was a blue multiplug hidden in the center which went into the oil guages. The temp sensor is a light green colour and was wrapped up above the normal dials, but it was well hidden under the loom

Daz, have you tried swaping the mulitipugs round and mine, the one that went originally on the petrol guage went to the rev counter, the one for the middle lights went to the temp and petrol guages and the speedo swapped straight over. It all works, apart from the sidelight warning light only comes on when it feel likes!

Well, mine works now.. dont matter - But it cost me about £95 to get a Rev Counter.. arwell.

I take it the middle dials dont work then? I do have the green multiplug, but the dials I have are from a 1998 S model, so they aint Valver ones..

If the Middle dials work.. Ill be well happy! Ive never tried em.

nah the middle dials dont work, but they light up, looks better than the air freshner I had there before! oh btw i tried sendin u a pm daz but youre full up!

hey daz, have u got any pics of your badboyd bonnet. i went back and bought the bonnet off the valver today (im gonna end up buying the whole car at this rate) Ive got two choices to get it to fit, get phase 2 headlights or bad boy my bonnet to fit? Just wondering what itll look like on a phase 3, only seen it on older cars before?

cheers, it looks sweet with the bigger headlights. Have you heard of anyone trying to fit a valver bonnet to a phase 3 car before?

I think the easiest way is to get a 16v Vent and then cut it into a Phase3 bonnet - would be major trouble trying to get a Phase1/Phase2 bonnet onto a Phase3 I would think.

I was going to go for a Vent, but then decided to go for the smooth look. Kinda prefer it without.. but you can blend many in and itll look good - GT4, Evo6...

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

there is a guy on rsc that has a phase 3 and cool louvers have got him a 16v bonnet + bad boyed it and put some of the louvers on it also.

fits well.

MaLicE

Nick Hill also says the 16v dont work with a Distributer-Less Car.. so dunno how you got yours working mate - straight out of the box!

And on the vent thing, it depends what ya go for - I prefer the smooth look.. and I dont want to look like a 16v!

Daz.

i aint got a clue, you dont think it could do any damage do ya? With the bonnet ive decided to buy some light brows for a phase 3 and mould the bonnet to that shape. The only place its a different shaep is where the headights meet the bonnet. I got it cheap, so if I balls it up Im not loosing much

The lights also come out in the middle..

If you go to French Car Show, you can see mine.. and where it slightly touches the headlight. No way round it and keeping the right shape!

Daz.

Dunno how long Membership takes nowadays - either way now, youll have to buy your own ticket on the gate anyway! Wont be a problem tho.. sure if you sent it off, and Jas receieved it, he could give you your card and everything! Hey Jas?! ;)