ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v idle

when i slow down and push the clutch in, my revs drop rite down to about 400rpm and it nearly stalls and then it will gradually even out to about 900rpm which is normal idle,sometimes if i boot it and then stop it idles at about 1400rpm and wont stop untill i turn it off and restart it:mad:! any ideas what it could be please,i need to sort it!

Skoda Fabia vRS

first clean your idle speed control valve, as this is free !

if not, try replacing the coolant temp sensor, which is a big cause on clios of this problem

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

As Brun says, clean the idle valve first, with carb cleaner.

Coolant temp sensor could cause this but unlikely.

Bob RTE

clio 20v

mines doin this at the minute, tried the coolant temp sensor made no diff

took idle valve off today an cleaned it wiv wd and its got fukin worse lol, lookin like i might have 2 buy a new one if i cant get it workin

adi

Williams 2, STi N12

Nick Hill once told me on the phone that the cause of this - although not sure if it is for all cases.

It is something to do with a speed sensor in or around the gearbox.

Skoda Fabia vRS

yea, the speedo cable, NOT the accel cable

Renault only part afaik, an the wrong side of £50 i think too !

but if its this, then usually the cars revs will stick high, not go low

You could have two problems ???

Mine revved low when it was cold, but I cleaned out the ISCV and got the potentiometer adjusted and its a lot better.

Revving high is normally the speedp cable like brun says.

If the revs are dropping its the idle potentiometer. I got one from a breakers yard for a fiver and it cured my problem. It is dead easy to get on and off with a stubby phillips driver.

Regarding the idle increase to 1400 rpm or whatever mine does exactly the same. Due to other faults the idle control valve, idle potentiometer and ecu were changed and it still does it. If I drive the car normally there are no problems. If I put my foot down a bit or drive on the motorway the idle increases to 1400/1500 rpm. What part do I need to cure this?

Skoda Fabia vRS

the speedo cable mate, more specifically the sensor it has on the end of it, but its all one part, cant get em seperately afaik...