ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v misfiring/stalling

Just recently my 16v has started misfiring ( i think thats what u call it?) runs ok on idle but sometimes when accelerating it misfires, rev counter jolts back. It wasnt too bad but coming home from the gym tonight it stalled a couple of times.

Whats the problem ? Spark plugs ? Leads ?

Thanks

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

if you mean the rev counter goes to zero and then jumps back up again then its a pre coil problem check your earth wires going to your top gearbox mount, when my mount snapped my car was doing this cos the bolt was just rattling around inside the bracket and wasnt getting a good feed

Dave

Quote: Originally posted by number1 on 31 August 2005

if you mean the rev counter goes to zero and then jumps back up again then its a pre coil problem check your earth wires going to your top gearbox mount, when my mount snapped my car was doing this cos the bolt was just rattling around inside the bracket and wasnt getting a good feed

Dave

No not jumping back to zero Dave, just a bit mate.

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

Clean the tps (remember the position of the screws though), mine was filthy and was a bit hesitant, this seemed to sort it out.

It may not be this, but it is an easy thing to eliminate.

James

Quote: Originally posted by James Clio 16v on 31 August 2005

Clean the tps (remember the position of the screws though), mine was filthy and was a bit hesitant, this seemed to sort it out.

It may not be this, but it is an easy thing to eliminate.

James
what is the tps ? and where is it located ?

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

Throttle positioning sensor.

It is the red thing on the side of the throttle body.

I made scorings around the position of the 2 bolts that hold it in place, as it is factory set and needs to go back in the same place, otherwise it will totally screw things up.

When I took mine off, there was only a small patch of clean metal that was making the contact on the throttle body. Dont know the name of the thing it makes contact with. Cleaned it off with a wire brush and put it back on.

It made an immediate difference.

Also check that youre not getting oil in plug wells. If you are the rocker cover gasket has gone and the oil will be fouling the plugs. Easy job to do, makes a difference on the running of the car. Well it did in my case, cos it had gone round 3 of the plugs. Dont use patent gaskets!