ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v Ph1 & Ph2 Differences

as the topic states

what were the main differences between the two phases?

interior, exterior, engine (if any?), suspension

looking to get one in january as a project, if all things go well, and would prefer the one that offers the most attractive package

Not a Clio
only differences were exterior with minor interior differences IIRC

rear lights
boot strip
wing mirrors
front grill
different coloured dialls
not sure what else.

silver valver/hybrid
phase 1 has different bump strips, mirrors (non electric i think) different grill, different coloured dials, cloth interior different patern.
no side impact bars, seperate rear washer jet/wiper where as the phase 2 is combined. dont thing there is any difference in engines other than the very early ones had no cat. thats all i can think of at the mo

Willy2
some early phase1's have manual sunroofs all have electric mirrors apart from the willy 1, different style seats, more bucket type. Also some limited ph1 have abs.

320d
Phase 1's have a flush angled fuel cap key position

Phase 2's have an angled key position on the fuel cap

Yellow fogs on phase 1, clear on phase 2

Wheels - turbines on phase 1, Speedline Vega's on phase 2

Phase 1's have non airbag steering wheel same as williams, phase 2's have airbag wheel

Not a Clio
clio16v1996 said:
Phase 1's have a flush angled fuel cap key position

Phase 2's have an angled key position on the fuel cap

Yellow fogs on phase 1, clear on phase 2

Wheels - turbines on phase 1, Speedline Vega's on phase 2

Phase 1's have non airbag steering wheel same as williams, phase 2's have airbag wheel

Not all ph2's have airbags. Mine was a 94 and didn't.

I think airbags came in 1995, mine was a '94 Mreg & it didn't have one, my mates had a '95 M reg & his did.

thanks everyone, so all in, the ph1 has less driver protection and a couple of cosmetic differences over the ph2

think i'll go for a ph1, if i can find one without too many miles

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Mine was phase 2 with no airbag. Now have a phase 1 with phase 2 goodies! :)

These side impact bars...does not having them help the whole weight situation? I'm guessing phase 1 is lighter?

that's my thinking tom, if i don't plan on crashing, then surely they are useless to me ;)

save a little bit more weight, and improve the performance marginally