ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v Questions!

Sunshine Bus ph-quick
What things should I look out for when viewing one in particular?
How many miles do you guys usually get to a tank on 'normal' driving?

Ta!
x

Absolutely loads to look out for on them, more so now as they are getting on.

Tbh, if I was looking to buy a valver, unless it was a complete minter (i.e. not a money pit) I really wouldn't bother, i'd go for a 106 gti instead.

Have a search, loads of valver threads on here.

Seriously, decent ones are thin on the ground now. I had one years ago & even then most that I looked at were utter cack, I dread to think what they are like now.

Plus as I said, most are complete money pits.

No other cars you fancy ?

Sunshine Bus ph-quick
Not really lol.

I'm gonna have a look at this one & if I decide its a bin think about something else :)

try www.clio16valver.co.uk a few nice ones for sale too if i remember correctly. As said though, get one with decent history otherwise you'll be spending loads fixing it. Only problem i've had is the gearbox going at 97k, you learn how to fix things lol

^
Not this old one again !!! I won't p*ss over it at all. Try a search, loads of threads on vts v's valver & 106 gto v's valver. A vts will not p*ss over one, it may be a car length in front, it won't pee on it though !

Sunshine Bus ph-quick
Stop it Paul... (how much?) lol.

I'd rather die than drive a Saxo I'm afraid.
I've my heart set on a valver (so you just know I'm gonna end up with a fucked one!) so gonna view some!

*rapidly going off them now.. they're all shite!*

Last edited:
  Valver
As said, your best bet is to look at is clio16valver.co.uk. The general consensus for them on here is one of little understanding!

There is a lot to look out for them now though, most of them are in a bad state. Rust on arches, mashed gearboxes, etc for a start. Although saying that I have 3 on my drive at the moment and have been pretty lucky with them really. All have been looked after with all the history, one of them only had one previous owner who was a retired lecturer and is 100% standard, one is black, and one is green! Only have a few minor cosmetic problems on them. Don't let the battered ones put you off.

Fuel wise I think they're pretty good, driven fairly sensibly I've worked it out to be more than 35mpg sometimes. If they are just maintained properly then they really aren't very expensive to run. I'm hopefully taking mine to university in a few months.

As for this VTS stuff, without dragging it on, unless the valvers I have had/been in are just plain freaky, they are NOT faster by any means. I've known a few people with VTSs and the 106 GTIs which are basically the same and on a direct comparison the valvers pull away every time by a fair margin, and handle better in my opinion - I really don't know where people get that idea from. Besides which they look horrendous, are as common as dog mess and I'd rather be seen driving a reliant robin.

If your heart is set on something then you will probably end up getting one anyway. Mine was and I love it. Now between the family our drive is full of valvers and Saab Carlsson turbos :eek:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
^
Not this old one again !!! I won't p*ss over it at all. Try a search, loads of threads on vts v's valver & 106 gto v's valver. A vts will not p*ss over one, it may be a car length in front, it won't pee on it though !

Sorry mate but an inch or a mile i hate to say the Saxo is always faster than a valver hands down, i had a VTS for a year i tell you what all those valver drivers must have been sick of looking at the rear end of my car:lolup:

IT might be a Saxo but its still fast:rasp:

Valver
^

Sorry mate but an inch or a mile i hate to say the Saxo is always faster than a valver hands down, i had a VTS for a year i tell you what all those valver drivers must have been sick of looking at the rear end of my car:lolup:

IT might be a Saxo but its still fast:rasp:
See now I've had a few proper set up 'races' (privately of course) with two VTSs and one 106 GTI and my valver pulled away from each of them by a fair bit, less so with the 106 as it had a few bits done. The owners admitted that the valver is the faster car marginally too. Valvers' speed vary a lot though - my black one is a fair bit quicker than the blue one, my friends' one is slower than that one, others are faster than them and so on. All quite noticeably. There are definitely 'fast' ones and 'slow' ones.

Then again I've been against a 172 driven by someone off here I believe and he couldn't move away :quiet:

That's true but a saxo vts will not pee on one by anywhere near as much as you say though.
I'm talking standard v's standard here, not my vts is standard but with this exhaust & filter on it etc, etc.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
That's true but a saxo vts will not pee on one by anywhere near as much as you say though.
I'm talking standard v's standard here, not my vts is standard but with this exhaust & filter on it etc, etc.

As am i mate, id never say "i hammered that" without knowing exactly what the person is running, id never race somthing i though "that sounds tuned"

All im saying is that when i had my Saxo Vts i burst 3 Valvers, and i mean by a car and a half length, that too me deems beaten!

LY 200
If i downgraded id find another 16v hybrid or Williams over a 1.6 ;) Pug or Paxo as looks, sound and engines are superior in my book so if you like them go for one but just make sure its a good one.....Make sure it has bags of bills, a good recent service log (over say the last 2 years) and things like the cambelt, water pump and even gear box dependent on age (say around 100k) have been replaced.........Any of these going could cost a shed!!!

Few things

-Might wanna check the sunroof works aswell as the electric windows too.
-Check theres no damp or stains around the inside of the sunroof and as above check it works smoothly.
-Check for bubblin on the outter and inner arches aswell as around the rear wiper and door seals.
-Check the guages work, i.e the pressure guage, temp guage, oil level (make sure you take it for a spin for 15 mins to see these in action)
-Creaky power steering shouldnt be a problem if its just rubbing on some turns of te wheel (mine did through two years of ownership) but if constant you best be prepared that a new pump maybe needed in furture.

I wouldnt say its essential to find a real low miler but i wouldnt go much above the 100k mark. Best be on the ball to all the above and like i say ask the owner to take you out first and see how he drives it. Ask him for at least 15 minutes in it to see all is running smooth and then you should make your mind up by the end if its a duff or not.......Try and take somebody who knows these cars or who has had one in the past to any viewings! and ONLY buy one that has been looked after!!

Last edited:
  Mondeo TDCI 130
Seriously hayley, unless you really really want one, don't do it! They are not an everyday car at all in my opinion these days!, more of a toy! I had one, did sh*t loads to it, always had the feeling it was going to break though!!

You will end up spending an absolute fortune on it, i can pretty much guarantee!

But if it's what you want, go for it!!

Yellow 106 GTI would suit you!!:rasp:

LY 200
Why if it was a good one would she end up spending an absolute fortune on it though?

I had mine for a two years and another fella i know had a Naples around the same time and both were as good as gold........We did buy these cars 4 and 5 years ago and at a price but surely theres still a few that are in good nick out there!? I know mine was in better condition when it left me than when i bought it so if you get one come up whos had the right owner then i dont see a problem really!!!

Mondeo TDCI 130
Mine was in very good condition! There probably are some good ones around, there old arent they!! Mine was mint when i sold it, i spent a fortune on it, about 3 months later the headgasket went. don't think it ever got put on the road again!:(

I paid £700 for this, had s**t loads of history!

000_0687.jpg

000_0690.jpg

000_0689-1.jpg

Sunshine Bus ph-quick
Umm.. lol.. bit late guys!!
picked her up this afternoon.

150k :( but has FSH from Reno up to 132k...
Shes not the cleanest I've ever seen, could do with a few bits & bobs tidying up cosmetically.
Mainly used for m'way driving & stuff...Guy used it daily.
Paid slightly more than I was hoping to, but still got her for less than advertised/budget.
If it dies/needs work.. it dies/needs work.. I'll deal with that if/when it happens. I wanted one pretty badly.. so bought one lol.

Need to get my white wheels sorted & on her now, swap the fabric for the leather, switch head-units, sell the Poppy (RT) (*cries*) & take her out for a play.

I've driven Revels' 106 & don't really fancy one right now, they are very girl-y drivers thou! Would DEFO have to be yello! May well be quicker than the valver, but.. I don't really need to race around proving my car is the quickest.

I don't really do huge amounts of miles at the min & have other things to drive so will be cool on the 'everyday' driver front.. can't see me not using her thou! She sounds sooooo pretty! lol

*excited*

Thanks for the advice though :)
I'm sure I'll cry to you all when I've broken her!

Last edited:
  Tungy
All this 16v slagging off lol :p. Fair play Hayley. Look after it, and get some pics up. Anything you need to know then drop me a pm, had mine a couple of years now and there's not too much I haven't messed with.

ValverInBits
IMO
They are excellent cars and just so so exciting to drive.

The engines are good but require looking after (like all engines really)
If I had to buy a high mileage one, I would replace all 16 tappets and the valve seals in the head, and may as well do the cambelt while your there - sounds like ben_p wants to to it for ya ;) take him an afternoon.
The higher milage engines, and the ones with more engine wear TAP on the top end badly. It's not a problem, but It's not "nice".
I'm selling one ( but i don't want to) but it's a fair few miles from you (northants) with an 80k engine.
They make a CRACKING induction noise (better than 1*2) and the initial turn in is grippier than 1*2 also.
good luck

edit: I used mine as a daily driver no probs. You just don't need air con. It's not all that