ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v verses 8v

j plate 91 449 valver,
hi. i am looking at a 1.8 clio, and i am wondering what is the differance between the two engines and the differance in the models? any advise would be welcome. thanks

Harvy

1.2 Clio
Ermm.... one has 8 more valves than the other. Lol...
I assume we're talking mark ones here... i looked on wiki and found that clio 1.8 8V has 110hp.... i found that...... clio 1.8 16v has 137hp.
Not really that much around on 0-60 or tops mate, sorry.

Suzuki SV650
I'm sure there is a big thread or something about it on here.

Can't remember too much about the two, but the 16v has a few cosmetic differences over the 8v RSi, bonnet bulge/vent/grille, bigger front and rear arches, also had 15 inch alloys but the RSi had 14's. They share the same seats, the 16v had oil/water/something else dials not sure if the RSi had these. Also the 16v was available on the Mark 1 phase 1 and phase 2 cars only, so from a J to about an N plate, whearas the RSi ran from a J/K to a phase 3, so about R plate. The RSi, although it shared the seats with the valver, looked exactly the same as the 1.2/1.4 models. Phase 1 RSi's were very rare, but when they stopped doing the valver and William's they made more phase 2&3 RSi's. Seen lots of modded valver engines but I've only ever seen one or two heavily modded 110hp 1.8 8v engines. If there are any still left, there was also a 1.8 RT, which could have been called a Baccara(?). Sometimes had leather(and heated??) seats and also perhaps with an auto-box.

16v is a fair bit quicker than the 8v.. Obviously! Good standing start from the RSi but thats about it. Not sure if the RSi had the same brake setup as the valver?

There was also a Mark 2 phase 1 RSi, which was a 16v. To confuse things even further.

None
The RSI takes about an extra second and a bit to get to 60mph iirc compared tho the 1.8 16v standard vs standard. 1.8 8v are cheaper to run (usually) and maintain

FIAT PANDA 100HP!!!!
8v engines usually have more torque low down dont they? or thats what i thought...

8v engines usually have more torque low down dont they? or thats what i thought...

suposedly, but no top end. aome engines its worth the trade off for an 8v (think the nova boys prefer the 8v's in their motors because the power gained by the 16v is outwayed by the weight) IMO the 8v isnt as fun to drive because it doesnt have the same "4k kick"

as J6 pkp said 8v engines normally have more low down torque.

However that appears to not have been your question. The Clio 16v (1.8 16v engine) is the 'sport' model of the mk1 clios. It is what the Williams is based on. The Clio RSi (1.8 8v) is a sportier standard model. It is the same engine as used for the 'volvo engine transplants' but with a 1.8 displacement rather than then 1.7 used in the volvo turbo variant.

Which is the better car? The 16v. Which is the better for moddifications? The 16v, as its a more tried and tested beast. The RSi you could add the turbo to, but tbh, I would stick with the 16v route.

j plate 91 449 valver,
thanks for all the help guys. you have jsut confirmed what i thought. i agree that the phase 3 model isnt as nice by a long way. and i love the wider arches on the 16v. next question.... what is a 16v engine worth very roughly, assuming it is in working order and has done less than 100,000.

thanks for all the help guys. you have jsut confirmed what i thought. i agree that the phase 3 model isnt as nice by a long way. and i love the wider arches on the 16v. next question.... what is a 16v engine worth very roughly, assuming it is in working order and has done less than 100,000.

50 to 150 quid depending on whats included.

oh and the previous post about turboing a 8v, the 16v will be easier as the tuning parts are easier to come by and the amount of people doing tubby conversion means getting help is easier.

50 to 150 quid depending on whats included.

oh and the previous post about turboing a 8v, the 16v will be easier as the tuning parts are easier to come by and the amount of people doing tubby conversion means getting help is easier.

i only mention it because the volvo parts are easy to come by and its the same engine.