ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v vs 106 gti prt 2 !!!!

well, im gona get a valver! considered the GTI for about 10 mins the other day, but valvers look better imo!

Renault Clio 1.6 16v Rsi

hahahaha @ the end of the day if the 106 gti was alot quicker we would say but it aint so end of we r biased neway :D

Quote: Originally posted by 172 Cup_Dude on 14 October 2004

Just wondering why we cant post anything about street racing?

Cheers
Its not allowed on this forum - it may have escpaed your attention but its also illegal.*

*not that i dont do anything illegal but im sure not stupid enough to post about it on a public forum LOL

oh no the police will monitor this site and nick anyone who speaks about - yeah course.

Most forums allow this, strange this ones does not.

BTW I am not a street racer and er I do know its illegal. I think you have been watching too much of the fast and furious films.

No, thats the point, most forums do not, and after a while the "we wanna talk about street racin" guys calm down, see the light and make it much better for everyone.

CLIO

i think ppl who street race r fookin idiots,its not only there life they are putting in danger,they need shootin

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I can say ive honestly never been beaten by a GTi or VTS but its not ot say it wont happen one day........

When i first got my 16v it was a 106gti which, due to my pride caused me to blow up my clutch. Theyre very under-estimated.

Agree the Valver definately looks better, no doubt about it. But performance wise i think there really isnt much in the two, nothing youd notice on the road anyway.

Id still buy a Valver tho...;)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

When the performance is almost the same you gotta look at other aspects like looks!

Mmmm Flaired Arches and a lovely bonnet!

Sorry guys, i havent been on here for a while. What do you mean by talking about street racing? does this mean no talk about races with other cars?

In this case, whoops cause i did it not so long back on here about a 106 GTI.. I wasnt told about this.

I very much doubt anyone could get done for talking about it cause they would need proof!

Anyway, i could tell you that when i had an experience with a 106 GTI it was a challenge. This had a superchip, pollished ported head etc but never the less he still didnt get away.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by PJVTS on 15 October 2004

Very underestimated the GTI - safe money on the gti standard vs standard
Standard Vs Standard its too close to even talk about.

Its all down to driver skill.

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

well the misss has a 106 gti - im insured on it plus i had a vts which attended many santa pod days - id be more than willing to agree there close but the 106 does have the edge its down 200cc as well

ilove both cars i really do im not being byast - but i spose you get good ones and bad ones so its the luck of the draw really!

nearly bought a valver minter 60k in metallic red i loved it on test drive!!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Thats the thing though. Valvers vary so much! You get sh*t ones and you get good ones.

Im not gunna argue but when good valvers run low 7s to 60 i cant see how a GTi can be quicker? Unless they do it in the 6s.

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

from experience - i notice that the pug seem to pull better after 60 perhaps the gearing?

Im not arguing just stating my opinions to the question asked.

Dont agree that the 106s are faster. yes they are quick for what they are but i (i can talk about this cause it was legal) there was 2 106 GTIs down York Dragway and they were both beaten by 172s, it was close to 50 but then the 172 pulls away..

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by PJVTS on 15 October 2004

from experience - i notice that the pug seem to pull better after 60 perhaps the gearing?

Im not arguing just stating my opinions to the question asked.
Yeah thats fair enough bud! Ofcourse everyone has different views.

With regards to being better after 60 - thats where in my experience the valver can pull. I had duel with one down a motorway slip way and it was 80+ where i felt my valver had the advantage.

insignia

Quote: Originally posted by SOOTY on 15 October 2004

Dont agree that the 106s are faster. yes they are quick for what they are but i (i can talk about this cause it was legal) there was 2 106 GTIs down York Dragway and they were both beaten by 172s, it was close to 50 but then the 172 pulls away..
We are comparing the gti to the valvers not the 172

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by liamrsi on 15 October 2004

put an RSi gearbox in a valver and youll beat a gti every day of the week to 60!!!
Wouldnt you need 3rd for 60 then?

Can you get them for similar money then? I do like the valvers look, but theyre also quite dated, inside and out. The Pug is hardly a revolution but it is better in that respect, i guess if you got one it would be newer too and theres better tuning capability as well. I imagine being 1.6s theyd also be cheaper to run?

-Rob

[Edited by RobFenn on 15 October 2004 at 11:53am]

Whoops, misread... sorry guys.

Well then i dont know then cause i dont know what Valvers are like although i think the body on the Valver is alot meaner looking than the 172/182.

The engine out-put on the GTI seems to vary alot, ive seen near standard ones make 130+ on the rollers where as ive seen them also make the quoted 120. Rumour has it that the later engined ones do make 130 standard due to a different ecu, sensors and a slightly different exhaust set-up(cat now in the manifold) but there is no hard evidence.

Having had my gti now for about 3 years i think i can give it a fair review.

Its a quick car off the line and will pull up to the end of third gear really easy, and top out at about 130 ish on the clock, about 62 in 2nd, just make sure you keep above 4K, it loves to be revved but get caught out of gear whilst on the move and youll be screwed because there is hardly any torque to pull you along. Handling wise its superb, can really throw it about and if you fuk up you can easly correct it, just plant that foot and point it where to go. Cant really say the brakes are that good but a set of gti-6 brakes would make a good upgrade. The cabin is right enough, i quite like it though the leather option would have been better as i have the cloth, does make a few rattles though, especially the sun roof. Driving position is good for me but the peddles do get a bit of getting used too, the throttle and brake are really close to gether, i never used to beable to drive in boots when i first got it but ive managed to adjust and am quite happy to now.

Over all a good little car that has never(touch wood)brokedown on me, responds well to tuning and can be driven hard.

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

Handling you say your not wrong!!

i was dring round a back road 60 limit doing 45 a bend decided to get sharper and greasy, rear went and it was just a case of more throttle and steer in to it!!

Absolutely fantastic!! handling is just brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

106 is better car all round

its faster and handles better,maybe the valver is showing its age a little

On the other hand 106s cant be had for 1500 quid

Each to their own on this one for me

ian

EP3 Civic Type R

just to add... ive owned 2 106gtis... first one made 140bhpwith just an exhaust and decat ... current one made 134bhp standard.... ive raced a 150bhp valver in my first one when it was standard and there was ZERO in it all the way up till we backed off... dean from ere can vouch for this... this was conducted on a runway I might add