ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172’s available for less than £7900

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

went to have a look at one in fords of winsford today, just recieved, and i have to say compared to the mk2 they are nothing much. The interior is a lot smarter and refined in the newer car, this one was a W with 18000 miles for £9,500 and was in sh*te condition it has to be said.

Gaz,

well obviously, we are all entitled to our own opinions, but i just much prefer the MK1s....

to the extent that i could have bought myself a brand new MK2 , got all the warranty etc. but instead have bought a second hand Mk1....

but then again, im only just getting round to accept the Mk4 golf ....so maybe i just like retro styling or something !!!!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

dont get me wrong the mk1 172 is a fine car, it just seems to be capable of a lot more than renault have given it, the mk2 certainly seems a more refined and sophisticated vehicle.

there are plenty in trader..

look at 10-15 % above the figure you actually intend to pay.. so, for £7900, you would add £790 = £8690 to about 9k..

now go find the best.. tell them you will pay , say, your max - 300.. when they stop coughin they will come back with a price or tell ya to piss off.

the degree of pissoff is inversely proportional to the circumstances in which the sale is taking place..ie- what you treasure now and feel insulted by the mere mention of realistic values.. is suddenly a has-been.. it has to make way for the new mega-turbo-firebreathing-max power with taste - vehicle... it sorta lost its charm huh ??.. or, they may be skint.. whatever...

the key is to like the car but not NEED it... that can wait a few weeks lol..

Joe...

Renault Laguna Coupe

Yeah thats the secret to buying privately - convince yourself you dont really want the car before you even get these. But how hard is that to do when youve been saving for months, and youre presented with an opportunity to buy your dream car...

Compared to the Mk2s they are nothing much !!!!!!!!!

Are you on crack ?? Sorry, but I areee with VR6Man on this... the seats in the MK1 are far nicer - colour RenaultSport Logos (no teabag effect grey seats), brushed ally gear knob, white dials (a must IMO for a fast car!!) to mention just a few.

The layout of the centre console in the MK2 is better thought out IMO, but overall I much prefer the mk 1.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

the bluey tinted dash and the same on the seats is pretty yucky, no colour coded strips or door handles, 14" alloys, yucky silver surround around head unit, i was quite dissapointed to be to tell the truth, i saw a mkii the weekend before i i think it is a much more refined car.

(PS. Im not causing sh*t, just stating my opinion), i agree about the coloured Renault Logo in the seats (does look better on the MKI, dont know why they didnt do the same in the MKII)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

the bluey tinted dash and the same on the seats is pretty yucky, no colour coded strips or door handles, 14" alloys, yucky silver surround around head unit, i was quite dissapointed to be to tell the truth, i saw a mkii the weekend before i i think it is a much more refined car.

(PS. Im not causing sh*t, just stating my opinion), i agree about the coloured Renault Logo in the seats (does look better on the MKI, dont know why they didnt do the same in the MKII)

Joe, please give me a ring, Im collecting the bits for my V6 build tomorrow....could use some info.....and the latest on the Laguna wheels...
Paul

im pretty sure it is 15s on the mk1 clio .... i think personally that they made 172 look more grown up and less agressive with the mk2.... the mk1 defo looks more hardcore (well from the front anyway) in a way it is good that the 172 can be bought to cater for both needs .... some people prefer that old skool, hardcore agreesive look (mk1) and others like the grown up, refined hot hatch look....but remember it was the mk1 that put 172 on the market as the hot hatch king b4 the CTR and the Cooper S came out......

Jock