ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172’s/cups falling apart

I posted a few weeks back for some info on the 172/cups as im looking at getting a cup as a replacement for my golf gti, but looking at some of the posts on here and some reviews, it seems like people are having sh*t loads of problems with them and that the dealers arent too helpful on the old customer service side of things which has put me off slightly.

My golfs been reliable as you like and i dont want to buy a brand new car only to experience loads of problems with it and not have it for weeks on end due to it being at the main stealers being repaired.

Can any Cup/172 owners let me know of what they think of there motors and let me know if theres been any trend in the problems that your coming across, or anyone that can re-assure me that getting a cup is still a good idea!!!

Can you let us know what your ages and insurance is like aswell with it being group 16 insurance?

Dan

You have a 3 year warranty, a few problems arent really an issue in my view. Its part of the Renault experience, its called character :)

172 Cup

Hi Dan,

Ill get the insurance out of the way. Im 25 and pay £625 fully comp with a B76 (Brum) postcode.

As for the cars. I may be proved wrong but Im fairly confident that nearly everyone with a cup/172 on here has had some problem at some point. The vast majority are probably very minor faults but there are also some inherant faults (exhaust rattle) that just keep coming back time and time again.

The dealer issue seems to be down to luck. Some are good and some are disgaceful. I think it would be harsh to say that all Renault dealers are crap.

Problems aside I cant think of any other car for the same money that I would buy over and above the Cup.

The first Cup I had was spot on the second was a complete dog, had second hand cars until this point and they have always been spot on. In fact never had to take one back until the Cup which has now been back three times in a month, will need to go back again. Bear in mind that there are over 1300 Cups on the road, but with the combination of Renault Dealers, Renault UK and CAT I wouldnt risk it. Shame as buying a new car shouldnt be a risk. If you getting one get a second hand one my previous one FG52 ATN is around somewhere in Scotland, loved since new. Wish I never got rid of it (lease car). I am thinking of changing the Cup for something else completely different. Skoda or Scooby.

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 23 June 2003

You have a 3 year warranty, a few problems arent really an issue in my view. Its part of the Renault experience, its called character

Yeah, i know what your sayin fella but in my past experiences with warrantys, dealers try and find every loop hole they can to get out of repairing it.
Might just be me being paranoid and only really taking on board the bad sh*t you hear rather than the good.
Suppose its just look of the draw with cars really in it.

VW Potato

faults are not what gives a car character. Faults are faults and they should not be tolerated.

By saying the faults give character often detracts from the thing that really does give a car character and it debases those qualities.

g

Renault Laguna Coupe

Im sure everyones had at least one little niggle, but in my case none of them have caused any inconvenience, and my dealer has fixed them without any drama.

If you buy one you will get:

SERV and AIRBAG lights coming on due to seatbelt pre-tensioner wiring (5 minute fix)

4k rattle in centre section of exhaust (need replacing or just chuck the zorst and get a Magnex / K-tec)

You may also get things like the odd loose engine mount, water in boot-well, rattles & squeaks etc. Nothing to lose any sleep over.

Id buy another one tomorrow.

only problems ive had were airbag light on sorted within two days and one visit and 4k buzz from cat also sorted in one visit within the week so i have nothing but good things to say about mine, very happy and like mike i would buy another tomorrow :D

Mines been back 3 times in 6 months for minnor problems, sorted quickly with minimal fuss...no problems with the dealer apart from feeling like just another number and the wait for parts. Good service from them but nothing special, service and parts costs on the expensive side.

Fantastic car tho, when you get in and drive it, more than makes up for any problems :)

Quote: Originally posted by 172loony on 23 June 2003

only problems ive had were airbag light on sorted within two days and one visit and 4k buzz from cat also sorted in one visit within the week so i have nothing but good things to say about mine, very happy and like mike i would buy another tomorrow
Nice to hear some good reports there mate.

Does anyone know anything about this company: http://www.new-car-discount.comhttp://www.new-car-discount.com

There doing brand new cups for £10990 with full uk 3 year warranty. If everything seems right with them i reckon im gonna get it from these guys. The price doesnt seem to have dropped that much in the used market either(good thing for new owners, bad thing for me, the potential buyer!)

not sure about them as i bought mine new from a renault main dealer but there are plenty of guys who bought theirs import or from car supermarkets etc that will be able to point you in the right direction and give feedback on their experience and the dos and donts etc

I think that company buy them and sell them to you so they are pre-reg. There is another one, I think it was broker4cars or something where they can get you one for the same sort of price but not pre-reg.

Quote: Originally posted by jonm on 23 June 2003

I think that company buy them and sell them to you so they are pre-reg. There is another one, I think it was broker4cars or something where they can get you one for the same sort of price but not pre-reg.
Iv not heard of that before mate, will you explain what you mean by pre reg?

Dealers pre-register their cars in order to boost registration figures to make it seem that they have sold more cars than they actually have. Just means that on the V5 documentation, you wont be the first registered owner and you wont get the choice of number plates to pick. Its therefore sold as "second" hand even thought they are brand new cars.

I got my Clio172 from motorpoint in derby. It was pre registered and had 3 miles on the clock. The V5 document shows that Im the 2nd owner of the car, the import company being the the first.

Ive absolutly no problems with my car since I bought it in 2001. Had the 4K rattle, but that has now gone. Came back from a 200 mile journey doing an average of 80-90mph and got 42mpg! not bad for a car that get to 0-60 in sub 7 seconds and has loads of equipment.

danr - pre-reg is that the cars are already registered to the company, then you buy from them, so you will be the second owner. when i asked a reno dealer his opinions of such internet companys this was the only thing he could say against them, oh then he started to rattle on about how i would get to know people at the reno dealership and get the customer service i wanted.. my eyes glazed over at this point - not worth paying over 2 grand for the privelidge IMHO.

i put the new car discount.com question to the honest john forum last week and got these replies (bit juggled as was originally 2 threads)

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=11191http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=11191

seems legit and a couple of folks recommend them

also - if you have a trade-in you can ask now about its value - Dave at NCD did a lowish one for me but again, better than reno

hope that helps - be interested to hear of your experiences with them

im thinking of a new 172 and have agreed a price with NCD - just trying to scrape together the cash

Ventilation under dash falling to bits

Brake limiter valcve has been missing since delivery hence clunking noise from rear and rear pads are done after 12000 miles wheras front ones hardly used!

paint coming of under arches

4000RPM rattle still not fixed

tracking/wheel alighment dodgy

General build is rubbish (after all its a clio - nothing more)

Rear struts leaking.................

Itll defo not be another REnault for me when I change!

Lee

BMW M2C

Mine has had minimal problems so far.

Two weeks after getting it I had a new external temperature sensor and seat runners.

Next week its in for the knocking under the bonnet which happens when I corner on a bumpy surface.

Ive not had the 4k rattle yet, but the exhaust has certainly got louder recently. Ive covered about 4500 miles now.

It has its fair share of interior rattles that come and go, but nothing serious.

At the end of the day it still puts a big grin on my face when I drive it. :D

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Erm,

My aircon didnt work when I got it, fixed under warranty (re-gassed)

And my headlight washer ball popped out and I lost it.. £7 for a new one.

I have it for a year and more and the car is really fantastic. Its overall build quality is good. Although I am sure that the cup version has not the built quality of the reagular 172 and that is logical because cups target is not the build quality, but speed.

I am not sure about the the 4k rattle.... But I am accepting this as a general problem and since it is fixed under the warranty is not really a problem. I currently have 12500 miles and the car feels very strong and I am very happy with it. I recomend it to everyone looking for a good car of this category.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Ive had a few minimal promblems, the most major being cambelt pretensioners which were a technical revision. Not had the 4k rattle, done 12k. Got the 12k service for £117 which was less than my mums Ford KA to service!!!! Mosat of my problems i put down to poor pre-delivary inspection, though mine was a demo. Done 7k in the car now.

I would still buy one again, Its awesome to drive, I forget how powerful it is is, and somehow you feel a bit special driving one as they are still fairly rare.

clio sport mk1 golf

oh i was gonna get one of these, seems a little off putting with all these comments!!, and for an area rep to say what he has, im realy put off, no disrespect meant matey. mmmmmm im gonna get a nice 16valve or a nice williams i think. but its gonna be pink me think!!!:D

Renaults... well first of all mine is an oldie so this isnt totally relevant.

Dealers are helpful depending on what you want from them. Plenty of staff want to sell you a car, but the last time I went to the parts desk I had to wait 20mins before anyone came to see me. Labour charges at my local are disgusting... £59 plus VAT, making it around £70... per... hour... For one hour they want £70, which is dearer than my Dads BMW dealership! Why am I even at University when I could be working at a renault dealership and be a millionaire in a few weeks!

As far the cars themselves go... modify it... Itll last longer.

I doubt Ill be buying a French car again...

Andi