ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 & 182 Leather - Different Part No

Is the 172 leather interior different to the 182 equivalent ? Are the part numbers the same ?

Really need some help with this.

Cheers for any information,

Dai

Is the actual leather different ? The 182 seems dimpled whereas the 172 leather is smooth ?

Are the part numbers the same for the 172 and 182 ?

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 21 October 2004

different. 182 has that nice perforated alcantra - much nicer.
So do the late 172s, myself and Tom compared them at a bluewatr meet, seams Ive got the perforated alcantra in mine but others dont.

I take it Kobes had a chew on your seats as well as the cables under them? Take him down the chinese mate, hes costing you a fortune! ;)

OK, I will tell you the full story !

I noticed some wear on my driver seat on the side wall closest the door. So I took it to Renault and mentioned it as a passing comment and they said that they would replace it ! Cool I thought !

Well....... I had this done yesterday and it seems to me that the driver side leather is different to the passenger side. The original leather is smooth whereas the new leather is dimpled, the only way I can describe it. Also, it is creased much more than my original seat skin.

What do I do ?

Take it back and complain, either they get it to match the original or replace the other one as well, thats what Id aim for.

Is there anybody out there in a good mood who can show me a close up photo of the side walls of your 172 and 182 leather ?

Please ?

Pretty please ?

ello well yes i had mine replaced after about 20k and it needed doing again after about another 14k it will be more creased as it has been stuck in packet on a shelf then stretched over the seat frame aparantly its not easy to do but it does settle in a bit as for the leather affect mine was the same but it could be just down to a different batch of leather matey

It just feels completely different tho. It is seriously annoying me now. Do I go back to Renault and ask them to replace it all ?

VaVa

Taken some pics mate, but uploader is fooked!!!

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 22 October 2004 at 12:41pm]

Tried again, Still fooked!!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Ive very little idea whats going on here, but curiousity has got the best of me and Im now going out into the car park to feel my seats. Cue strange looks from passers by!

My suspicion is that the 172 leather is very smooth and the 182 is slightly dimpled, that is what I am trying to find out anyway !

I would like to find out if the 182 and 172 leather have the same Renault part no too.

E90

Well seeing as Ive spent the last 11 years of my life making Automotive leather for every manufactuer in the world, I should be well placed to answer:D

The leather in your car will age and deteriate with exposure to sunlight etc, therefore Renault will not be able to replace the leather and make it match completely. The colour of hides is controlled, to below DE 0,3 and at those specs the human eye would be hard pushed to spot a difference, If its a newer batch there is the possibilty it had been produced by a different Tannery, and may use different Pigments to the original, this may mean that the metamerism is different. Metamerism Is how the colour reacts under different light sources, E.G it may look ok in daylight (D65) but when viewed in an artifical light source ( A) one sample may appear a different colour to the other. The creases are due to the leather not being re-fitted correctly to your original seat, and it needs redoing. As for the colour, unless you buy a similar age seat, there is no way that Renault, can allow for weather and light deteriation.

Hope that helps, If you have any other questions please get in touch, LOL

Dave Walker, Key Account manager, leather industry, CPS COLOR.

:D

[Edited by Dutch 172 on 22 October 2004 at 1:42pm]

Quote: Originally posted by Dutch 172 on 22 October 2004

Well seeing as Ive spent the last 11 years of my life making Automotive leather for every manufactuer in the world, I should be well placed to answer:D

The leather in your car will age and deteriate with exposure to sunlight etc, therefore Renault will not be able to replace the leather and make it match completely. The colour of hides is controlled, to below DE 0,3 and at those specs the human eye would be hard pushed to spot a difference, If its a newer batch there is the possibilty it had been produced by a different Tannery, and may use different Pigments to the original, this may mean that the metamerism is different. Metamerism Is how the colour reacts under different light sources, E.G it may look ok in daylight (D65) but when viewed in an artifical light source ( A) one sample may appear a different colour to the other. The creases are due to the leather not being re-fitted correctly to your original seat, and it needs redoing. As for the colour, unless you buy a similar age seat, there is no way that Renault, can allow for weather and light deteriation.

Hope that helps, If you have any other questions please get in touch

So what you are saying is that they should put my old seat skin back on or replace the whole lot from the same batch ?

Nissan Jewk

Quote: Originally posted by Dutch 172 on 22 October 2004

Hope that helps, If you have any other questions please get in touch, LOL

[Edited by Dutch 172 on 22 October 2004 at 1:42pm]
so are they different? :p

E90

Dai,

Yeah, the only way to get no difference is to change both seats, with time, both will level out more anyway, as the light/heat fades your new seat. Back seats arent so important, you wont be able to see the differences between, front and back.

E90

Oh and I forgot, The leather on mine and yours ( l think there about the same age) is Nappa, which means it is milled to give the grain effect ( pattern) you see on the leather, it is possible that on the 182 they Emboss the leather to give it the same effect, that would make the hides different in appearance.

E90

Not sure dude, theyve replaced the dodgy one, which is quite good of them, Is it a really severe difference? or subtle? See what they say, if you have any trouble with them, give me a shout, and Ill put together something for ya, bombarding the fcukers with a sh*t load of technical blurb, that might help.

I noticed it straightaway to be honest but then I am a fussy b*****d ! I reckon that the RenautSport stitching is a slightly different colour too. I will have to get some photos up when I get the chance.

I am tempted to ask them to put my old seat skin back on !

Ford Fiesta

Daipac, Ive taken some high quality close ups of the 182 seats, think behind the alcantara is different, post pics up next...

Cheers mate, it is the leather part I am more concerned about, not the alcantara, I know that is different now, be interested to see.

Ford Fiesta

i cant figure out how to get the pics going vertical rather than horizontal, but never mind.

The alcantara certainly is different something I wa snot aware of, the leather harder to tell really.

what about the V6 what does version does that come with?

as cocopops says if they come as one pack then it would seem you have the 172 covers, I take it this is the case and they dont get the leather and alcantara as different "parts"