ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 reliability?

Hello everyone, I'm new on the forum and maybe going to buy a Clio 172/182. How's the general reliability on these cars? I would love to here some experiences.

Megane 225 F1
Search?

They are just like any car. Things will go wrong and you will have to spend money. However because they are french, they do tend to rattle a lot.

Seat Ibiza
Look after it and it will look after you.

But when the bits do need replacing they can be expensive.

Other than breaking down after a month, and the cat then exploding a few weeks later, mine was pretty reliable. Loads of 'faults' but nothing that ever needed replacing (apart from the cat) other than consumables.

They're not unreliable as long as they've been treated well.

RB 182
As above. I wouldn't say they are unreliable but I wouldn't buy one if I was solely after reliability. They have been built to a a tight budget and you can tell IMO.

182 ff cup packs
had my 182 5years and only alternator has needed changing....serviced regular with quality parts, look after it and it wil look after you.....;)

S4 Avant
What broke?

After the gearbox, drive shaft and wheel bearings? Well the airbag light, ESP light, ABS light, STOP light, service light, handbrake light, oil light, engine management light and petrol light were all on, then the speedo stopped working, then the car stopped and wouldn't start again.

So pretty much everything is broken. Coupled with the cracked ABS ring I saw the other day, I'm not overly happy with it right now.

SQ5
After the gearbox, drive shaft and wheel bearings? Well the airbag light, ESP light, ABS light, STOP light, service light, handbrake light, oil light, engine management light and petrol light were all on, then the speedo stopped working, then the car stopped and wouldn't start again.

So pretty much everything is broken. Coupled with the cracked ABS ring I saw the other day, I'm not overly happy with it right now.

Weird, I've only done gearbox and shafts on 100k ones, wheel bearings are just wear and tear.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
well had mine yr and a half and the cheeky chappy has wanted for nothing except filling up the tank ;) i see it as you look after it correctly and it will look after you

Renault Clio RS182
You or previous owner probably drove like a c**t then!

I'd say as above if looked after very high reliability, if abused its going to die.

I'd only had it 3 week lol luckily it was still under warranty from the stealer and they just did a straight swap for another which in my opinion was a tidier car :cool:

pimp mobile Zafira
I've had mine for near on 20 months and the only problems have been things needing done due to age. Great little cars really. One of the best cars for the money IMO.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Just done my second trackday and the cars been 99% bullet proof for about 15 months. Like said above, look after the car and it will treat you right.

320d
My 172 was reliable. Only had it 7 months but it never broke down, started first time even in -13 conditions. It did have a few drivetrain knocks though, new engine mounts helped but didn't fully cure it.

Basically the 1*2's are getting on and are generally driven pretty hard so they will need money spending on them to keep them in a good state of repair. Fortunately parts are pretty cheap.

Seat Ibiza
My 172 was reliable. Only had it 7 months but it never broke down, started first time even in -13 conditions. It did have a few drivetrain knocks though, new engine mounts helped but didn't fully cure it.

Basically the 1*2's are getting on and are generally driven pretty hard so they will need money spending on them to keep them in a good state of repair. Fortunately parts are pretty cheap.

Cheap? I wouldn't have used that word tbf. They can be labour intensive expensive toys, but what toy is cheap.

Thank you all for your help!! My brother had a 182 for couple of years and I think one time left him on the road, other than that it was pretty reliable. Seem to be good cars for the money.

535d / t5 caravelle
get a good one and they are reliable, mine is, ignore any french and unreliable comments, i could say the same for vw!

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
get a good one and they are reliable, mine is, ignore any french and unreliable comments, i could say the same for vw!

Exactly. Had mine for over 7 years and other than service items the only issue I've had was a dodgy hazard switch that was fixed under warranty anyway. It's been by far the most reliable car I've ever had.

197 FF Glacier White
14 Months of trouble free motoring. Not even a blown bulb. Although my airbag light is on now, came on about 300 miles after fitting my Recaros. My Volvo S60 though, now there's a story!

197 FF Glacier White

This, I bought a brand new Golf 16v many years ago, always in the garage, terrible experience, put me off VW for life, dealers were rubbish, car was a skip. Only other Renault I've owned was a Safrane, that was also faultless for the 2 years I owned it, despite being full to the roof with every imaginable toy!

Get a well serviced one and you'll probably be ok, they were built to thrash and take it well if you keep on top of the servicing it seems.

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
The 1*2's are enthusiast cars and get a lot of DIY, try and buy one that has not been chopped and changed as this will equal unreliable!

If you want reliable - buy Japanese

If you want a lot of fun buy a 1*2

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
engines are bullet proof, ive done probably 70,000 hard miles in 172's and never been let down with an engine related issue yet! or a gearbox actually!

182 Cup
Had mine since new, so 6 years now. The gearbox developed a ticking noise the dealer could never track down so that was replaced after around 15k miles under warranty.

The dephaser also developed problems in the second year and it sounded like a diesel - again replaced under warranty. Other than those two issues I've had no problems other than the ones I've inflicted upon the car by changing seats and steering wheel - a couple of warning lights on the dash.

I'm sure the exhaust would have fallen to pieces by now if I hadn't changed it for an after market item though.

Za**** & Xr250R
I bought my Clio in 2006 ish the car was around a year old with 7k on from a gent who used it for commuting and i sold it on last month here's a list of the top of my head of problem's i had during ownership:

- 3 engine's
- 3 gear boxes
- Multiple suspension problem's
- Cruise control and Speed limiter stopped working and never found the problem.
- Aircon stopped working
- 2 lot's of rear bearing's
- seat adjuster's broke on both seat's
- rear wiper motor
- exhaust rotton
- manifold needed replaced
- Cat needed replaced
- rear window had to be resealed as was leaking

I'm sure there were more problem's but this is all i can think of atm i serviced the car at Renault had the belt's done before the correct time and never ever thrashed it as many member will confirm on here and i only covered 40k in 5 year's. Oh and it turned out the car was an import lol. Goes without saying i won't be buying another.....

JAP OR ford for reliability for sure
Beg to differ. Japanese cars might have the repuation but realy its not a huge jump in my experiances. does depend on brand though.

As for Ford even if they were more reliable build quality isn't upto it.

F56 MINI Cooper S
depends what you compare it to, maybe not "upto it" compared to an aston, but compared to similar price cars eg vauxhall they are leagues ahead. For the price they are built well enough and as for reliabilty mine has been top notch

F56 MINI Cooper S
no but I've not mentioned anything about them, the clio I had was good although I only covered 30k in the two years i owned it. i was meerely pointing out that reliabilty wise ford has to be up there with the best

depends what you compare it to, maybe not "upto it" compared to an aston, but compared to similar price cars eg vauxhall they are leagues ahead. For the price they are built well enough and as for reliabilty mine has been top notch
Each to there own.

As for Aston err we are talking about relaible cars they arn't exactly bursting with a good history.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
JAP OR ford for reliability for sure

Bollox imo

Gf has a 2006 ZS just like yours. Thats had intermittent miss firing issues, and it rattles like f**k, more than any Clio ive owned (now on my 5th RS) Quick search on any Ford site shows they eat Coilpacks. Infact just got a 2008 1.4 Fiesta 'blue' for my mum, 1 owner, fsh, 18k and that idles lumpy as f**k

F56 MINI Cooper S
Bollox imo

Gf has a 2006 ZS just like yours. Thats had intermittent miss firing issues, and it rattles like f**k, more than any Clio ive owned (now on my 5th RS) Quick search on any Ford site shows they eat Coilpacks. Infact just got a 2008 1.4 Fiesta 'blue' for my mum, 1 owner, fsh, 18k and that idles lumpy as f**k

Mine hasnt. I have done just short of 60k in 18 months in mine (bought it on 16k, now on 73k) as hasnt missed a beat, all i have had to do is fill her up with fuel. Had it serviced a few times, brake discs and tyres but in terms of reliablity its been spot on. Wasnt really fond of fords in general but the reliabilty of mine has made me think perhaps i will next buy a new mk7 zetec s...