ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 / 182 Turbos

K-Tec Racing said:
We will soon have details of some individual turbo kit components on our site along with prices.

Dunc did a great job putting his engine together and this was done in our workshop with Mike (our head machanic) on hand for guidance. It took a while from start to finish but part of that was due to us finishing development on certain parts but I think you will agree it was worth the wait.

David.

Thanks David.. its something I am deffinitly interested in doing next, it sounds like the kit wasnt put on as easily as it sounded as a d.i.y (bolted on in someones garage for e.g) I wouldnt want to tackle this myself but not experienced enough either, I know my limits and prefer it to be fitted professionaly! :) Please keep us posted with this info on the seperate kit price tho when its available, I may still be interested in this and being fitted by a experienced tuner I know whos closer to me. I would be looking at doing after Crimbo/new year as I am summing up what options are there and already done the V6 thing, cheers.

Grant

Last edited:
  -172 Cup Turbo-
Will have to get two cars on a rolling road together running the same psi, similar set-up etc to see if there is any major difference.
There are pros and cons for both set-ups depends on what works for you. There is allways the option of running a small amount of Noz to keep inlet air temp down, depends how far you wanna go.

-172 Cup Turbo-
Zonda said:
Thanks David.. its something I am deffinitly interested in doing next, it sounds like the kit wasnt put on as easily as it sounded as a d.i.y (bolted on in someones garage for e.g) I wouldnt want to tackle this myself but not experienced enough either, I know my limits and prefer it to be fitted professionaly! :) Please keep us posted with this info on the seperate kit price tho when its available, I may still be interested in this and being fitted by a experienced tuner I know whos closer to me. I would be looking at doing after Crimbo/new year as I am summing up what options are there and already done the V6 thing, cheers.

Grant

I don't think i would of taken on the build if i had to do it home!!
The main factor being the access to the ramps, the amount of times my car went up and down in the air.

Mike is a good lad and an awsome mechanic, glad he was around for the advice. Cheers buddy!!

As Dave said there was quite a bit a waiting around for parts, trial fittments and testing that went on before i finally got it on the road but it's what i enjoy doing and very pleased with the final result, well i say final i'm sure there will be some additions.

172 Exclusive... For Sale
CUP TURBO said:
I just get traction in third when running 12 psi. I fitted a boost controller which enables me to program the boost dependant on gears and revs, so i can run low boost in 1st and 2nd limiting the wheel spin.

The Cup doesn't come with equal length drive shafts, i guess to save weight but i had to change it over to the equal length, coz i had a few scary moments when accelerating, the car wanted to pull me across the road.

I don't think the gear box is gonna last too long with the power im putting through it so im gonna look for a new box which i can get strengthened and slap an LSD in that.

Sounds like quite a plan. Boost controller seems like a God send!

All the best...

r5 gtt with 172 turbo eng
im runnin a 172 turbo engine in my r5 gtt, was at pod weekend and ran 1.8 - 60ft , 12.537 @ 107 mph, serious headwind down the strip (blew our tent over sat) tho so defo can be improved on, cars running 255bhp, 242 lb torque @ 7 psi

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
steve r5 gtt said:
im runnin a 172 turbo engine in my r5 gtt, was at pod weekend and ran 1.8 - 60ft , 12.537 @ 107 mph, serious headwind down the strip (blew our tent over sat) tho so defo can be improved on, cars running 255bhp, 242 lb torque @ 7 psi

What happened to your car...I was next up to run when is blew something/shed it's oil??

Notorious said:
What happened to your car...I was next up to run when is blew something/shed it's oil??
some how the flywheel shattered thus causing the bolts that clamp the pressure plate to the flywheel got smashed around in the casing smashing the gearbox causing it to shed its oil everywhere, was a huge bang, thought a conrod had gone thro the block at 1st :(

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
i well want a cup turbo i know its £6200 for it all in at k-tec but how much were just the parts to do it

CUP TURBO said:
Will have to get two cars on a rolling road together running the same psi, similar set-up etc to see if there is any major difference.
There are pros and cons for both set-ups depends on what works for you. There is allways the option of running a small amount of Noz to keep inlet air temp down, depends how far you wanna go.

Did you have to cut the front bumper to allow better air flow to the fmi? any pics? Thanks.

-172 Cup Turbo-
Zonda said:
Did you have to cut the front bumper to allow better air flow to the fmi? any pics? Thanks.

No cutting what so ever, the FMI sits just behind the lower grill, looks stealth that way.
K-tec have gone for a larger option on their car which requires some cutting, but they are running a bit more boost and use their car mainly on the track.

-172 Cup Turbo-
steve r5 gtt said:

Is that a high compression conversion, with std pistons?

CUP TURBO said:
Is that a high compression conversion, with std pistons?
std pistons just dished to 9.5:1cr at the mo, will be goin the forge route soon but still gona stick to the same cr as its still got sum get up and go with no boost tbh ;)

-172 Cup Turbo-
steve r5 gtt said:
std pistons just dished to 9.5:1cr at the mo, will be goin the forge route soon but still gona stick to the same cr as its still got sum get up and go with no boost tbh ;)

I noticed you were getting a pretty good BHP figure from little boost, i went the low compression route and still found the car to be quicker before the boost kicks in than a std 172.

Lionel Richie
steve r5 gtt said:
some how the flywheel shattered thus causing the bolts that clamp the pressure plate to the flywheel got smashed around in the casing smashing the gearbox causing it to shed its oil everywhere, was a huge bang, thought a conrod had gone thro the block at 1st :(

your clutch let go then, same happened to Roamer (EXACTLY the same thing)

what clutch were you using???

FredYozzasport said:
your clutch let go then, same happened to Roamer (EXACTLY the same thing)

what clutch were you using???
after inspection when the box and pressure plate were removed it seems it wasnt the clutch, the bolts holdin the pressure plate against the flywheel have ripped out smashin the pressure plate against the box, theres a nasty score mark and i mean nasty, all the way round the inside of the gearbox where is just ripped apart.

the clutch was a helix 4 paddle and all was lookin good till you look at the springs in the centre and see its nicly bent out of shape, where the pressure plate bolts to the flywheel it has completly ripped 2 off thm out the side and 1 of the locators is half was out and bent to f**k.

at least it wasnt the conrods goin thro the block tho, like i thought it was with the huge bang :eek: