ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 advice

Looking to swap my zetec Focus for a Clio 172 Cup or a 172 Sport (was there a sport model?) as the Focus is just too slow(I had a G40 before it).

Anyway the point of this post is for any advice on what to look for on the 172 as I have spotted 2 locally:

Cup 16k miles £8995

Sport 29k miles £8295 (new 182 alloys on it)

[Edited by Mr Woo on 02 June 2005 at 6:56pm]

Cheers:) I have only just started looking around for something new and so far the Clio has stood out as being good value/performance for the money. I had thought about the Civic Type R but they are a bit more expensive for the kind of mileage I was looking for.

The cup is an 02 52 and the Sport is an 02 02.

Am I in for any surprises on servicing or parts as Ive always thought of Renaults as a bit pricey in that respect? I have also had someone say they thought the interior was a bit rattley on a mates car, maybe a one off? My G40 had a dashboard rattle that drove me insane so any comments on the interiors would be welcome

Titanium ph1 turbo

If you want a more basic ride, but a bit of a more raw feel in the car go for the cup.. if you want gadgets and more comfort go for a normal 172...

Reliability seems to be good on the 172s, you should be able to get a 10k milage cup for about £8000-8500 with about a year or more warranty left on it.. make sure its a UK supplied model as the imports only have 2yrs warranty as opposed to 3 years on UK ones...

Also, check that theres no mods been done to the car, as this invalidates any warranty too...

Are you near the north east? Youre welcome to give me an offer for my cup, 03 plate 18k miles, warranty, mint condition, totally standard, FSH etc.. my girlfriends pregnant so were selling either her car or mine.. ive got a renault 5 turbo which im going to use instead.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

If you want to go just as fast as a cup on your average road but have aircon, nicer seats, ABS and a choice of colour get a 172. If you want a car to take on the track and the rest dont matter get the cup.

Sounds like the 172 rather than the cup might be less of a shock to the system, I must be getting old but Ive kind of got used to having aircon although I dont have ABS atm

What kind of insurance premium are you all paying? Just got a quote for 33yr old full no claims no convictions, parked off road, 2002 car £8000 value with £200 excess. Premium quoted was £600

Depends on the area of course, but your quote sounds high mate; would have thought you could halve that with a bit of shopping around. Try Confused.com or elephant etc.

Z

Tried Elephant and came up with £529, that is fully comp with protected no claims. I reckon Harrogate must be a high claim area, probably all the Ferraris and Porsches getting nicked!

try aidrian flux,

30 yr old with mods (decat, exh,viper, 182 cup alloys,spoilers ect )fully comp, claims protected,not garaged ,(import BTW)

479,quid!!!!

nth yorks

:D :D :D

Just to give you a quick model run-down:

172 Ph1 (often called "Mk1 172") 2000-2001: pre-facelift hot version of Mk2 Clio. Some say it looks meaner; most are silver; has all the toys bar xenons. Said to be the fastest, although no significant weight advantage... probably due to mileage sensitivity of engine; early ones have alloy bonnet. From about £5k upwards.

172 Ph2 ("172 Mk2") 2001-2004: facelifted hot version of Mk2 Clio. Subtler than original 172; adds automatic xenons and auto wipers; 6-CD stack on some; much improved dashboard and interior plastics; bigger 16" wheels (later 15" version of same wheel used on lesser models, to much annoyance!). No power change, but more torque developed at lower revs. Is the most common model on used market: from £7k upwards.

172 Cup 2002-2004: stripped out version of Ph2 172. Deletes air-con, climate, leather, ABS, auto xenons, auto wipers - but adds stiffer suspension set-up, different wheels and blue interior touches. Loses 80kg, taking car down under 1000kg (same as old Mk1 Clio 16V and Williams). Only available in Mondial Blue, bar 75 late silver ones. Climate/air con available as option on later models. No other mechanical changes (unlike old Williams). Approx £7k upwards.

182, 182 Cup and 182 Trophy: 2004 on. Hot versions of Ph3 Mk2 Clio. Another 10bhp from 172 engine, twin rear exhausts, new wheels and colours. Otherwise same in looks and details to Ph2 172. "Cup" suspension option available on 182; Cup model loses equipment as 172 Cup, but keeps ABS; Trophy is run-out special edition. From about £9.5k upwards.

Thanks for all the responses, certainley a busy forum!

Just found another 02 car 172 sport "Metallic Panther Black" £7,995

Making enquireis about the mileage...should have a few examples locally to look over on Saturday :)

"Panther Black"? Lol! Traders do think of some very imaginative names for paint colours. Itll be Pearlescent Black.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

Black mk1s rock but then I am biased :)
Im paying 550 with protected no claims at 24.

Yep, Im amazed that they dont get it right. "Panther" sounds more like a Ford thing to me. A quick check of the Parkers guide I printed off confirms the "Pearl Black" name.

Just need to go and test drive a few and see what all the fuss is about!

Anyone driven a G40 and a 172? Interested to see how they compare in the go department, no contest in handling as the Polo wasnt too great but the engine was fantastic.

Titanium ph1 turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Mr Woo on 02 June 2005
What kind of insurance premium are you all paying? Just got a quote for 33yr old full no claims no convictions, parked off road, 2002 car £8000 value with £200 excess. Premium quoted was £600

Try directline...

im 25, full NCB, 3 points, parked on drive, just outside newcastle, no accidents... paying £430 fully comp with £1000 excess (I dont mind the excess because I know im a safe driver!!)

Me and my gf are insured on the car. I am 23 she is 25, I have 0 ncb she has about 8 years NCB.

We pay £510 fc on a 172 and thats through Diamond. I found this the cheapest. I got quotes of £2000 because of me having 0 ncb.

So I was very happy :D

Imports: they DO have 3 year warranty (not just 2 years, FFS), so dont be put off if its an import. Imports lack an alarm (still have immobiliser), locking wheel nuts and window etching - thats the only differences. Sorry, get a bit protective about imports cos Ive got one ;).

Insurance: shouldnt be a problem for a 33y.o. as long as youve got a decent history. I just got a renewal quote as follows...
26y.o. male with 3yrs NCB plus 27y.o. g/f as a named driver
no claims in past 5 years
1 conviction (SP30) in past 5 years
lowered springs <5cm
not garaged
Business class 1 cover (for work)
£662 with admiral (elephant wanted £740 for exactly same quote)

Not driven a polo let alone a G40, so cant help you there! Welcome to the club.

Didnt want to start a new thread for this.......

Am due to purchase a Monaco Blue 172 Sport, 52 plate with 45,000 on the clock off a good friend. Havent found anything to suggest otherwise but believe that at £6,000 I am getting something of a bargain (he is emigrating and I am paying off the finance).

Am I right?!

[Edited by Slummer on 03 June 2005 at 12:40pm]

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 03 June 2005

Get a 6k loan and pay the settlement figure.
Thanks.....query is not with the finance though, but the price generally. Although high miles everything I have read suggests this is ok?

(Apologies....have read the above and the answer is there from your other posts Badinvincible....)

[Edited by Slummer on 03 June 2005 at 12:52pm]