ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 'bobbly' ride

That's the best word I can come up with to describe it. Maybe it's just my imagination, but the ride quality seems to be slightly strange recently. The rear of the car feels as though it's always jiggling around, almost as if the tyres are mis-shapen.

It's most noticable at low speeds (anything below 40mph) and seems to occur even on roads smooth looking roads.....

I know that's not much to go on, but does anyone have any suggestions. Oh, and the tyres have loads of tread, inflated to correct pressures......

Cheers all,

Greg

RX7, 172, mini & van
I am having the same problem. As the car hit a bump or pot hole it steps out.
Any ideas plz

172 Cup
deffo worth checking the rear shocks as they tend to leak. but then 25k is pretty low mileage.

Paul

Yeah, tracking was kind of top of my list anyway. Don't think it's too serious - I suspect I'm just being too obsessive about little things. Whilst we're on the subject of tracking, and this might seem a really stupid question, do the rears get 'out of track'? i know they don't steer as such, but is there any passive rear steer that could be out?

Thanks all

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i'd say rear shocks, mine O.E ones went, and the back end felt loose as f**k, felt like it kept wanting to swap ends

£40 for shocks each. You can chnage them in 10 minutes no need to even jack the car up or remove a wheel.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
had same problem, also rubbing in rear arches(on 17's) back shocks had gone check for leaks or a lot of bounce when you push back end down.two new shocks and my back end sticks like glue.

Turbos.
Edde, isn't in the rear springs that can snap? I read that water can settle on top of them over time leading them to snapping...

Clio 172 mk2
That's the fronts mate....check the drainage holes in the spring cups

Also worth checking it the top mounts....prone to cracking and bearing failure...mine went on both sides in my old Renault but it had done quite a lot of miles.

cliobuyer said:
Edde, isn't in the rear springs that can snap? I read that water can settle on top of them over time leading them to snapping...
Any spring can fail yep the front ail quite a bit though as there a batch out there which had impurities in and so cracked and failed. Not just Renault have been affect the same factory made Mercedes springs and the're failing now.