ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Buying Advice

Clio 197

Hi, I have been offered a 2002 172, with 35k. It is a tidy car, but what in particular should I look for?

The clutch biting point seems very high, is this common? How long do the clutches last on the 172?

I was also a little concerned that perhaps there was a loose engine mount, but this could have been my imaginantion. I did drive the car, but not far, and only in a residential area.

I also understand that it will need an expensive service at 36k - what does this include?

Does anyone know how much Renault extended warranty costs for the 172?

Sorry for all of the questions, I am just trying to do my homework!

Thanks in advance!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Hi mate, welcome to Cliosport :D The 36k service includes the accessory belt, but its not too expensive. Clutches are ok on the 172, not heard of any going at this sort of mileage. Loose engine mount (its the one under the battery) is common, and usually gets fixed under warranty. No idea about extended warranty, but the Renault warranty can only be purchased when the car is new I believe.

I p/xed my 172 at 35k. It never missed a beat.

Clio 197

Do any bearings or bushes commonly go early?

I suspect the previous owner enjoyed the car quite a lot, and while I assume these cars are to an extent built for it, I dont want to be buying into a lot of trouble.

I have a 2002 172 with 30k on the clock (Ive had it for 2 years) all the little nigggles were sorted out in the first year and since then its been 100%, Ive had no major problems and its always reliable.

Check the exhaust as standard systems are cr*p and expensive, aftermarket exhausts are by far the best way to go, if it vibrates at 4k revs then its on its way out (common problem)

The headlight washer balls (not the windscreen) tend to fall out on a regular basis, passenger seat rattles are common but easy to sort.. cant think of anything else, apart from service history at 12k and 24k, make sure the book is stamped otherwise warranty is void (you have 3 years)

And you can go into Renault and buy extended warranty.

Quote: Originally posted by FlashBastd on 23 January 2005

Hi, I have been offered a 2002 172, with 35k. It is a tidy car, but what in particular should I look for?

The clutch biting point seems very high, is this common? How long do the clutches last on the 172?

I was also a little concerned that perhaps there was a loose engine mount, but this could have been my imaginantion. I did drive the car, but not far, and only in a residential area.

I also understand that it will need an expensive service at 36k - what does this include?

Does anyone know how much Renault extended warranty costs for the 172?

Sorry for all of the questions, I am just trying to do my homework!

Thanks in advance!

if your not sure about it walk away, there are plenty 172 bargains to be had now, so keep looking if it doesnt feel right

Clio 197

Thanks for all your help, this is just the kind of info I needed.

I have been offered a straight swap for my 2001 Mondeo V6, and on that basis there isnt so much choice around!

The exhaust sounded to be blowing a little on this one - do they commonly go at around 3 yrs / 35k? Assume exhaust wont be a warranty item?

What is best/preferred aftermarket system?

Has anyone had a clutch replaced? Is it a big job on a 2.0 Clio? I heard that the clutches on the Williams models were prone to early failure - was this sorted on the RenaultSport cars?

My exhaust was rattling pretty much from 7k miles (do a search for the 4k rattle, a very common problem)

Aftermarket exhausts are cheaper than the standard and have a life time warranty, I put a Magnex on mine, have a look in the media and pics forum for lots of examples of exhausts.

Ive had no problems with the clutch (my sister has had 2 x 172s and a 182, and my mum currently has a 2002 172) none of these cars has had a clutch problem.

If youre bothered by the clutch on this car then go and test drive another one to compare.