ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cambelt change

Clio 172
ive been looking through the forum to find the answer to my question but cant find it, when changing the cambelt on the 2.0 engine, why is it necessary to lock the camshafts and the camshaft sprockets? could you not just lock the camshafts?

ITB'd MK1
this has turned into very long discussions on many occasions. I'm shocked you couldn't find the info, it's on here many times over

the cams will not stay in the right place once the locking tools are removed unless the correct procedure of slackening the pulleys is followed

Lionel Richie
as danny says, its not a simple tipex cambelt swap job, if you do it that method the cam timing will be off (99% chance)

when you set the cambelt tensioner, you set the belt tension between the exhaust pulley and the crank pulley, the rest is unaffected, so if you do it the "tipex method" as soon as you spin the engine over by hand it'll move! You MUST back off all three main pulleys, set the belt tension, spin the belt over backwards thrice, recheck and possibly adjust, THEN and ONLY then lock it all and re-torque the lot and THEN spin it all over by hand and recheck!

if you do it without backing off the inlet/exhaust pulley you have done it wrong, no argument, FACT

the renault manual has been translated wrong, so before some clever dick pipes up, the method listed for NOT backing off the pulleys is related to the non VVT engines, confirmed by the man who looked after all the r-sport race engines

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
^^^
Listen to this man, deffinatly has to be done this way. The manual for my cup racer only states 1 cambelt change procedure and you HAVE to back off both cam pulleys.

Some garages may have the horse shoe cam locking tool and the crank pin, but alot will not have the pulley locking tool. All 3 tools are necessary for changing the cambelt on a 172/182 engine. I even had this argument witht he parts guy down at renault when ordering my tools, he said i didnt need the pulley locking tool. t**t! lol

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I just know im going to have my car booked into you for a cambelt change in the next few months Fred.

The Arnold Clark garage i bought it from were far, far too quick to tell me that the cambelt had been changed as per "Renaults" guidline..... frightening prospect that, absolutley frightening.

Lionel Richie
that raging homo chic is sending his car back to me again, the wee jessie has put a big hole in the gearbox, even maureen from driving school wasn't that bad!

Clio 172
sod it then, by the time i get the tools and have it sorted the thing will cost me a fortune, its the 172 cup so no aircon makes it much easier right?!

think ill just get it booked in.

cheers guys