ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Centre pipe rattle, Help! :(

Clio 172 Cup
Hi,

I don't post in here often, but hopefully someone will be able to help me.
I have an aftermarket exhaust fitted on my 172 cup (was fitted when I bought it), and it has developed a rattle in the centre pipe. I have searched on here before, and I have tried all the common problems (heatshield, etc) and it is none of these. It is definately not the cat or any loose bolts around the centre pipe. I have put a video below of the rattle. It only happens at low revs.

Does anybody have a solution? Or will it be a new centre pipe if you can buy them seperate?

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
  172 Cup
I had the same thing in a mk5 golf with a miltek system, get it up on a ramp, and I'm not sure if they're the same but... There was like a supporting brace coming off the manifold just before the cat/centre section which was bolted into the subframe, this had broken so I welded it back together and the rattle/banging stopped, it was more noticeable when pulling away from junctions/complete stop.

Clio 172 Cup
Cheers mate, I can't remember seeing anything like that, but I will check again. There are bolts/bracket coming from the cat, but I checked they were all tight. I was just wondering if anyone had a similair problem with their clio

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
It will be the centre silencer itself the insides will hve come away.. I had it happen on the system i had in my old 172

Clio 172 Cup
If i could just raise this thread again, is anyone aware of anywhere you could buy a centre pipe? I understand you can only buy standard centre pipes from reanult/GSF etc.
But i thought i would need an aftermarket centre pipe due to the bore size being 2.5''? Or am I just completley wrong?
Any help would be appreciated :)

monaco blue 172 ..
had it on mine a month ago ,,, very loud rattle ,,,,, turned out to be a loose cat to manifold bolt and the lambda sensor wire just touching the centre section lol strange but sorted these and now quiet as a mouse ..... hope this helps mate

Clio 182 Silver
I am having this same issue right now on my 182 .. cant wait for the weekend to get under there.. its driving my batty