ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 clio electricals

BMW M135I
Put a refundable deposit down on a clio 172 last week on a good example of a clio but it needed a new battery but now the bloke says its in at the renault garage because of electrical problems, supposdly the car waint start or unlock and its had a new battery and an electrician out so what could be the problem and should i stay away or hope that renault do a good job.

Also on that note can i ask renault somehow about if the car has any other problems etc? like a report

Nissan 350z
If the seller is having the work done by Renault then dont worry! Renault will charge the guy an arm and a leg on a problem like this because they know they can make potentially a small fortune!

Just wait and make sure you see an itemized receipt :)

BMW M135I
If the seller is having the work done by Renault then dont worry! Renault will charge the guy an arm and a leg on a problem like this because they know they can make potentially a small fortune!

Just wait and make sure you see an itemized receipt :)

ok cheers, think i might make sure i get some warrenty aswell on the vehicle from the dealer

if he does offer you a warranty make sure its the gold/top one & check to see what it covers... i got 6 months when i bought mine last year but it doesn't cover you for diagnosis & will only pay up to a certain hourly rate - which rules out renault & the majority of garages. To fix the auto headlight leveler, renault wanted 2hrs to diagnose & 1 hour to fix so it would have meant me paying the first £180 for a part that costs £40 & takes 10 minutes to fit!

RS 172+
Is this 'diagnostic fee' a new sort of con?

I've had a company car for 20+ years or so, and only just back into private ownership (hence the 172), but I remember the days when if you had a problem, you took it to a garage, told them what wasn't working and got a price to fix it.

IMO a 'Diagnostic' fee seems little more than a stealth tax.

the diagnostic fee is a complete con - its the warranty peoples way of trying to stop you putting a claim in.... thats why i would be particularly careful with anything electrical - if it goes wrong you might be liable for "diagnosis" & theres still no guarantee the fault will count as valid. The terms & conditions of my warranty are several pages long outlining pretty much every way they can get out of paying the claim.