ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 conversion

1998 1.2 8v mk2 clio
hi evry1 got maself complete lot of 172 runnin gear mechanical is easy is it just plug and play wiring wise anyone done it before thanks lee

Lionel Richie
haha, good luck!!! i've done it, its a nightmare

make sure you under dash loom from your Donor car fits you existing rear loom

Chocolate Bar™
nothing but trouble, adamhodg on here did it and ended up forking out much more than he wanted to, could have bought a ph1 172 for what he ended up spending. However if you want to do it to get some experience with engines etc speak to edde, jon_16v etc

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Doddle matey. Did this one back in 2002 - as Freddy said make sure you get ALL the wiring from the donor car and a complete ECU kit.

cliosle.jpg

172slee.jpg

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i guess its one of them... if you know what your doing things, id pay a company to do it thb

hi evry1 got maself complete lot of 172 runnin gear mechanical is easy is it just plug and play wiring wise anyone done it before thanks lee
Its a pain forget it get a 172 much cheaper.
Its interesting and a challange but you need the tools and the space and the time to do it.
make sure you under dash loom from your Donor car fits you existing rear loom

Just solder the wires up tough not a huge problem.

Lionel Richie
apart from it takes about 4hours to do 21wires! cough MATT!!! the loom you gave me wasn't out of the donor car (understandable!) but some honnesty would've been nice you dodgy northerner!!!

1.2 16v Dynamique.
I would loved to have seen the faces of some people who laughed at you at the lights etc....before you blew them away! Class!

apart from it takes about 4hours to do 21wires! cough MATT!!! the loom you gave me wasn't out of the donor car (understandable!) but some honnesty would've been nice you dodgy northerner!!!
4 hours? Even I can do it in less
I would loved to have seen the faces of some people who laughed at you at the lights etc....before you blew them away! Class!
Theres a thread on Seat Cupra.net wheres someone was raced by him shocked how some old CLio kept with his 280hp or somehting car. That was before Matt realy tunned it and stuck the 1.8T in and tunned it to 425hp or so.
it's a 1.2 sleeper ;)
1.4 I think.

Chocolate Bar™
^ the badge clearly says 1.2 edde, you need new glasses more than me ;) *squints*

1998 1.2 8v mk2 clio
erm not gona bother bin to luck at a 172 today so i now have a engine surplus to requirments and i only have the engine bay wiring loom lol thats same colour as mine :( im a mechanic so crnt really pay another company to do it makes me look like a rite fool thanks for info tho

^ the badge clearly says 1.2 edde, you need new glasses more than me ;) *squints*

They can be removed.

I'm sure Matt said years agao it was a 1.4 shell (not that it matters there all the same)

Car was a crash repair so maybe doors had to be changed.

1998 1.2 8v mk2 clio
as per usual changed mind again i cud do with a wiring diagram on the conversion if anyone has any clues pm'd matt black mite as well do the conversion the car stands me to 1200quid all in n i payed 850 for wat was left of a 172 from simpson salvage just gota go back and get the rest of it next w/e it started to rain so dint bother removing a rite lot of the loom just the engine bay car has my name on it n do not touch hehehe

Lionel Richie
you need the following from a donor car (172/182)

dash wiring loom
engine wiring loom
UCH
ECU
decoder ring
key

i think thats all

as per usual changed mind again i cud do with a wiring diagram on the conversion if anyone has any clues pm'd matt black mite as well do the conversion the car stands me to 1200quid all in n i payed 850 for wat was left of a 172 from simpson salvage just gota go back and get the rest of it next w/e it started to rain so dint bother removing a rite lot of the loom just the engine bay car has my name on it n do not touch hehehe
You need the dahboard as well easy way to remove the whole darn thing only a few bolts etc hold it on there there the connections for the doors there the one on the passenger side down by the bonnet release for the rear looms and one for the airbags from memory.

To get the dash out you'll need to remove the stearing column only 4 bolts hold it in hidden under the dash then pull it out (might need a hammer to release it from the stearing rack under the bonnet but with engine outs easier to get to.

Wiring diagram for the conversion depends what your doing what stearing or ABS your using etc.

you need the following from a donor car (172/182)

dash wiring loom
engine wiring loom
UCH
ECU
decoder ring
key
Uch isn't needed in a phase 1 transplant though Fred.

Radiator is handly to have though.

M

mini-valver

If i wanted to put a cup engine intomy car what exactly will i need? Could i use a standard 172 engine and remove air con pumps to make it effetively a cup engine? sorry for the hijack ;)

If i wanted to put a cup engine intomy car what exactly will i need? Could i use a standard 172 engine and remove air con pumps to make it effetively a cup engine? sorry for the hijack ;)

Cup engine is a normal engine but without air con plus tensioenrs plus the alternators different (more power) and is used to tension the belt instead of tensioner.s

Assuming your keeping the electric rack on your car you'd need to remove this on the doner car so the belt runs only the alternator and the pump as if you run the PAS pump withoutb it being plumbed in it start a fire in the engine bay.

M

mini-valver

im confused. do you mean i have electric PAS? If i was to source, engine box, engine loom AND interior loom, ECU and uch i wouldnt need anything else?

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
hey matt been looking for you, can you pm your number please, I would like to buy a 172 engine from you.

Last edited:
  White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Bump!

I'm intrested in purchasing conversion of you for £1500 (Matt)

You intrested in selling?

Tried to send you a PM a few times but your inbox is full.

Bump!

I'm intrested in purchasing conversion of you for £1500 (Matt)

You intrested in selling?

Tried to send you a PM a few times but your inbox is full.

Ring him

Renault specilast breakers in accrington

(google that) and you'll have there number has 666 in it at the end I think.

And yep its up for sale so hes interested in selling.

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Thanks Edde, :)

Just a quick question and sorry for it being off OP but I have a 1.2 1998 Clio Mk2 PH1 I believe it's the RN model, would the 172 PH2 full dash loom be able to be adapted to fit my clocks. Also can I use my original Ignition barrell/key decoder/plip/key with the PH2 172.

Thanks in advance.
Regards Dean.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
no you cant - you could theoretically but it would mean buying a new blank UCH ( £250 + vat ) so you could synchronise the plip and ECU together. To be honest it would be cheaper buying a spare key on top of the kit i supply.

The loom can be adapted ( anything can ) but would take a lifetime. I will supply you a dash from a 172 with controls for an extra £100. My kits come with a 172 inst panel + plip key / ECU / UCH and decoder with the immobiliser codes and key codes from the donor vehicle. This makes it easier to order a new key or re-code your plip if it ever loses its code

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
surely to convert the clocks would not be so difficult?

Reason I ask is that my dash has a 7" lilliput touchscreen fabricated into it etc.

I need to find some solution without using the 172 clocks that I believe dont fit the PH1 dash.

Regards Dean.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Its possible dean - im sure it can be done, but im afraid i dont know anybody that has done it. It would be a case of finding which wires power which dial and then re-wiring them to suit your inst panel

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)

Holy crap learn to write properly.

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
now now, handbags at 50paces.

you think that's bad. I work for Orange PCS in the call centre you want to see some of the spelling I see on people's account's.

someones account password the other day was "SPACKA" obviously the guy who entered his password wanted to fufill the legacy.

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Matt,

I Will give you a phone (work number) within the next few days regarding purchasing a 172 conversion.

I may purchase a 5GTT first then get that when I have the time.

Regards Dean