ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Buying Advice!

BMW 328i
Hi,
Looking for my first RenaultSport Clio. Been to see a few, my favourite is a 172 Cup. It's quite clean apart from some dodgy paint on the front wings, the sills and rear wings look to be pretty rust free and good service history (belts etc done and gearbox fixed). Only thing is that it was previously a track car and so has quick release bonnet catches fitted, the cloth interior is badly worn (seat bolsters etc) and the paint is about as good as you can expect for a 20year old car that's had some track abuse. I'm pretty sure I could replace the bonnet fairly easily but I don't have a clue about the interior - would it be incredibly hard to find a set of seats in decent condition? I suppose it depends if the cloth seats were exclusive to the 172 cup or the same as any old MK2 clio?

Any advice is appreciated.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
The 172 cup seats were specific to the cup, you could get a set of non RS seats from a dynamique that are a similar design but have different pattern on them, or fit RS seats, as they are all a straight swap and interchangeable but obviously its not "original" if that's what your going for. 172 cup doesn't have airbags in the seats so they are lighter, where all the other cars have airbags, that's the only difference other than the patern/colour/material.

bonnet is easy as its the same as all the non RS cars so if your getting paintwork done then its not a problem getting a good condition bonnet and having it painted.

Other than that they are a good car, and id say a good investment now, especially if its at the right price given its needing some work/restored from a track car

Andyano12

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup + more
OK I am biased as I have one, but most of these cars are getting to an age where the paint is starting to deteriorate. Most important IMHO is belts being done and making sure rear arches and jacking points are not rusty. Everything else is fixable without too much cost (at the moment, although with the values creeping up certain model specific things will end up becoming more expensive in a few years).

Great versatile cars, I was transporting an engine in the back of mine at the start of last week and then did a sprint around Castle Combe on Saturday (the car is completely standard). I think if you are looking for a decent all round car to hold its value and be a bit of fun then they are superb. Personally if it was me I'd turn it back into a standard road car and enjoy.