ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup dangerous in the wet

Clio V6 255 (Acid Yellow)

I bought a 172 Cup a few weeks ago. It handles like a go-kart in the dry but in the wet Ive been finding it a little too playful. Im very used to being able to go into roundabouts at high-ish speed and be able to control the understeer by lifting off the throttle. However, in the wet, it appears that you have to be really careful when trying to correct the understeer as when the front finds grip it really digs in and unsettles the rear end. I have had to catch the rear end on a few occassions. Is anyone else having similar issues, or is it these Yokohoma tyres....

Quote: Originally posted by dazraffan on 11 March 2005
yokos are crap in the wet had them on my Z3 and try slowing down a bit when its raining

they are not crap in the wet.

I think you will find the pressures are too high.

try 30/32.

/y0z

try slowing down a bit when its raining

the best bit of advice you can give

enthusistic driving in the wet on the roads will kill, learn quickly, you dont want it to happen to you

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

I find my Cup as quick in the wet as the dry... whether thats a good thing or not Im unsure. I do drive mine very hard though. lol.

I have run A539s on road and track and think that they are the best tyre out there for the money.

GSD3s & Pilot Exaltos are the more expensive option.

I would agree with daz tho slow down in the wet?

/y0z

Quote: Originally posted by Bryan on 11 March 2005

try slowing down a bit when its raining

the best bit of advice you can give

enthusistic driving in the wet on the roads will kill, learn quickly, you dont want it to happen to you
Couldnt agree more. What annoys me most is when drivers dont amend their driving to suit the conditions.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

a539s by any chance???? oh n the lack of abs n traction controll dosnt help but hey thts you bought a cup, its hardcore like mien lol

fat 182

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 11 March 200

they are not crap in the wet.

I think you will find the pressures are too high.

try 30/32.

/y0z

thay are on a RWD car trust me i had a set for 4 months before i had to get rid of them and go back to contis

got sick of the back end trying to step out all the time which never happened on contis

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Before everyone jumps on me - my comment above was in jest. Read Evos summary of the Cup.. the only negative aspect was "nervous in wet".

Treat it with the respect it deserves and the Cup can be an enjoyable drive in all road conditions.

cock mobile.

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 11 March 2005
Its all relative. ALL cars are dangerous in the wet/dry, its how you drive them thats important.

Agreed!

Liquid yellow R26 F1

Quote: Originally posted by _Tom_ on 11 March 2005

I bought a 172 Cup a few weeks ago. It handles like a go-kart in the dry but in the wet Ive been finding it a little too playful. Im very used to being able to go into roundabouts at high-ish speed and be able to control the understeer by lifting off the throttle. However, in the wet, it appears that you have to be really careful when trying to correct the understeer as when the front finds grip it really digs in and unsettles the rear end. I have had to catch the rear end on a few occassions. Is anyone else having similar issues, or is it these Yokohoma tyres....
Just make sure you wind the lock off, before you lift... That way when the weight transfers, the wheels will be straight.. then you may lft off, but therll be no oversteer.. Irrespective of what tyres you have..

Liquid yellow R26 F1

Quote: Originally posted by CupCake on 11 March 2005

Before everyone jumps on me - my comment above was in jest. Read Evos summary of the Cup.. the only negative aspect was "nervous in wet".

Treat it with the respect it deserves and the Cup can be an enjoyable drive in all road conditions.
Si, Imho.. i havent realy found it to be that nervous, but maybe that because i learnt in 205 1.9 GTIs.. Now, thats nervous in the wet on standard 185s, when youre caining teh tits off it.. used to be able get some fantastic angles... LOL.. have calmed down a lot now tho..

[Edited by James Bushell on 11 March 2005 at 5:19pm]

Si.. Just read your 1st post.. Oops..

MERCEDES CLS AMG

cars are safe in the wet - its the driver pushing it to hard thats dangerous. Keeps me in a job anyway :D

The Jinx

I found the 172 to be a bit twitchy in the wet, but that was on contis. My dci on F1s was very progressive.

The valver though, has a far less twitchy rear IMO.

The Xsara I used to own was a right b**ch. Really snap oversteer. Caught me off my guard once or twice even when not pushing it.

i found my 172 very bad in the wet, sliding all over the place, the 182 seems to be much better tho.

got to agree slowing down in the wet is the best way.

Nippy white cup

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 11 March 2005

I found the 172 to be a bit twitchy in the wet, but that was on contis. My dci on F1s was very progressive.

The valver though, has a far less twitchy rear IMO.

The Xsara I used to own was a right b**ch. Really snap oversteer. Caught me off my guard once or twice even when not pushing it.
Was that when you were a spin king apprentice Mike? ;o)

Alfa Mito 155TB

My 172 was twitchy in the wet....it is sure footed now with

Vrdestein Sportrac 2s as best in group test rated by Autoexpress for dry and wet driving with 3 stars for snow driving too...they are made of silica rubber...

They are £46 fitted, ive tried lots of other tyres and these have limpet handling on bends in the dry and are superb in the wet....in the middle is the V Groove but each side is a Monsoon rain groove...

They are category one tyres, I now feel we pay too much for Exaltos and GSD3s etc when they cost no more to make.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Tyres make a massive difference to a cars performance in the wet compared to the dry, but pressures can also have quite an affect!

Slowing down in the wet is always a good idea though...

RB182cup&golf gti

I know what Tom is getting at, when i first got my cup the conditions were a little greasy and i was drving according to the conditions, wasnt going fast at all and i felt the car slide going across a roundabout as though the tyres were made out of solid plastic, possibly cos they were new but non the less a little scary!

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Just give the car a little more respect in the wet.... i do, still can go round at silly speeds, just expect to give your arms a work out with all of the light steering movements

172 cup

Ive had my 172 cup for 3 weeks, and the week i got it there was a lot of snow, so for the first week i had to get used to it in the snow and also wet roads. I have to admit it was a bit scary at first as it does have a lot of power for its weight/size, but now i dont find it any worse in the wet than my old pug, in fact with the exaltos on it grips the road much better, you just need to show it some respect and know when to slow down etc.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Get a set of PE2s 205/45 16 and in the wet it feels as good as Yokos in the dry !!!

Yozza i really do think you should get some and try them they are in a different league. Yokos are really cheap but if you want the best you have to pay for it...

For me Yokos Vs PE2s are like...

EBC pads Vs PF pads....

You get what you pay for...

Quote: Originally posted by EVOgone on 12 March 2005

EBC pads Vs PF pads....

And you get what you deserve if you dont drive as conditions dictate. Also a friend of mine who has had many performance cars (scoobies, porsches, m3s) gave me some great advice when I got the v6. He said he never tries to push a car to its limits in the wet or dry until hes done at least 3000 miles driving in it. He says it takes you that long to get to know the car and what its going to do in certain situations. There will be people that disagree with me but a few weeks doesnt seem a long enough time to get used to the idiosyncracies of a car.

My life is spent putting people back together after accidents (Im an intensive care doctor).

Slow down in the wet/snow/fog

Arriving late is very different from being dead...

[Edited by ChrisM on 12 March 2005 at 5:16pm]

Quote: Originally posted by ChrisM on 12 March 2005

He said he never tries to push a car to its limits in the wet or dry until hes done at least 3000 miles driving in it. He says it takes you that long to get to know the car and what its going to do in certain situations.

this is such a good bit of advice, espacially for the V6.

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by EVOgone on 12 March 2005

Get a set of PE2s 205/45 16 and in the wet it feels as good as Yokos in the dry !!!

Yozza i really do think you should get some and try them they are in a different league. Yokos are really cheap but if you want the best you have to pay for it...

EBC pads Vs PF pads....

i tried them (std 182 on track) they were good, but not worth the extra £££ IMO

especially if youre going through a set every 5K - 8K miles (yes a SET)

clio 172 cup

my cup slides all over thats why i love it but it only does it when i lift off the accelerator so dont do that and it just grips. if your front end is sliding you shouldnt be off that fast in the wet and you wouldnt need to lift off. i think its part of the reason why its such a good car i love going side ways in it even in the dry if provoked enough!

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

cup has the better handling but i felt it was a bit too easy to get carried away in it when i test drove one yesterday. Liked it, different to my full fat one, but i think the susp in mine is bad/poor i get alot of rumbles from pot holes, need to get her checked out

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

For me i would pay for the extra performance every time. Example why have PF brakes (which are the dogs mailto:B@llox">B@llox) and the most expensive and not use the same logic with tyres.

Emergencies happen :-

Old people pulling out on you.

Something runing in the road.

For me get the best it might just save your no claim or even your life.........