ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup destroys Civic Type R

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Cup kicks @ss!!! :D

Also got that run on video from the opposite side of the track and should be better quality, so once my mate sorts it out Ill post on here too.

Managed to equal the CTR in my "underpowered" 306 too! ;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by TimO172 on 26 May 2003

I think half a second is sufficient to fall into the blown away sector!!
He was toast mate... ;)

clio 20v

ud be surprised on how much half a second is on the strip u cant really see from the vid but the cup wud hav been quite a way in front of the civic

adi

Golf GTI Ed30

I really wasnt expecting you lads to slate me as much as that, come on!

If were going to split hairs then, that was my worst run of the day and his best, for a start. And you can hardly say that counts as a fair CTR vs Cup challenge can you.

If I turned up next time with....

1. Full Magnex system

2. £200 worth of induction kit

3. A chipped ECU

4. Smaller rims on SLICKS for gods sake

And last but not least, half my car stripped out and left at home. I think we all know it would be a different outcome.

If any of you other guys with Cups (standard as mine is) fancy a go next time round and put there money were there mouth is, ill gladly take them on. Ive already beaten a cup at Santa pod ( ask Matt Brown ), but I didnt put a vid on the CTR site ( even though mines standard ) saying CTR WAISTS CUP, like this.

Sorry to moan. Just thought it was a bit of a sh*t comparison thats all. Wasnt expecting it off you lads to be honest....

Renaultsport Clio 200 Cup

Ive just spent the last 5 mins trying to think of a reply too..! I agree, Vtec Abuser has a point - I just guess there are some members (bad choice of word?!) on here who are very passionate about their motors and lets face it, the CTR is just about the only car in the same affordable price range that can touch a Cup/172...

My mate has a CTR and were always having a friendly dig at each other, but at the end of the day have a mutual respect for each others cars; their both quick, both cool and both desirable.

Friends..?! http://www.websmileys.de/liebe28.gif

CTR EK9 turbo

fair points............But.......if you do standard vs standard then you could argue: one costs 2 grand more (CTR) therfore not fair in that respect!........ goes both ways really. And the slicks viper, chip and strip would probably still not equal the price of a CTR.......so.....

Quote: Originally posted by Simon172 on 26 May 2003

fair points............But.......if you do standard vs standard then you could argue: one costs 2 grand more (CTR) therfore not fair in that respect!........ goes both ways really. And the slicks viper, chip and strip would probably still not equal the price of a CTR.......so.....
yeah, but there are some right sheds at RWYB days that put in astonishing times and probably cost much less than a Type R or a Cup/172.....so......!

This is *exactly* my point... no-one seems to be comparing like with like!

I could turn up in a 1977 Fiesta with a full stripped out interior running a cosworth engine, slicks and no MOT and beat everyone in site but personally wouldnt... a) be seen dead in it and... b) waste my money... whether it cost me two grand all in or £20k... you see the same thing at hill climbs.

I chose my 172 for its all round performance, looks and value for money. If Id had more to spend Id probably have gone for a CTR, or an STi Impreza given even more dosh... you pays your money and takes your choice...

...cos theyre similar in performance and buyer profile I guess, my point is lets keep it friendly!

mk2 172

yeah, you cant start comapring prices, the end of the day were comapring how fast the standard cars go, not comparing 1/4 mile + mods throguh saved pounds in list price, to be honest i think a ctr would nail a cup on the motorway from what iv seen, 100 plus, upto the ton there fairly close, but just looking at the standard 1/4 mile terminal speed, with not the best luck in runs, bens ctr seems to really motor over the last 1/8 regardless of how poor a start he gets which says only one thing, against a standard cup it would be game over, but tims is obvioulsy well quick, so its gonna beat a ctr. a standard ctr vs standard cup would be a cool race over 1/4mile, over a mile would be more interesting tho

Golf GTI Ed30

Cheers for the support old boy. There is no way I even want to go down the CTR vs Cup road again, as a few others will agree I think. Just dont like standard vs modded comparisons thats all.

I expected the vid to be on here in no time really. Just thought it would of been put a bit better thats all. Anyway heres to next month, when I turn up with my 100000000000000000000000bhp Nos kitted CTR to waist you all, MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Cheers, Ben.

Yeah but a Cup is 12995 a Civic is over 15000 grand, PS the Cups tires are road legal and the same rolling radius as the std 16" except for 1%. I think a Cup with air box from old car, 249 pound chip, 175 magnex, is fair game. At the end of the day a Civic with the same mods would cost Impreza money, and then it would get wasted. Sorry not slating CTR as they are very fast but on the day the Cup was faster. Some cars are better suited to the strip than others. But looking at it in the way of listing mods is ridiculous, that would be like saying that my car would waste Adis if I had done the mods he had done to his engine. 1/4 miling is about what you bring with you on the day and not to refer back to what might have been if mods werent included. Ben with the Civic is a cool guy, and he was fair game for a race. But you cant look at it in the modded v std way as if you do this you just need to quote list price. Cheers Tim.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

If we wanna play that game...

All I have done to mine is fit a replacement air filter element that cost £15 +VAT and apart from that its boggo mods wise. Then all I had to do was undo 2 bolts and that was the rear seats removed, so minimal time & effort there too.

Yet my best time was idential to the CTR today!

v-tec dude it does look a bit on the wrong side if your car is standard,
and the cup is loaded to the eye balls, and also like someone said if you took half of your cars extras off
and you upgraded the type-r then you would have a rocketship in your hands
i like the type-r well cool car, 195 bhp , i would love one, the rev limit is like a motor bike
i think you should give the type-r some goodies and show these renault clio cup/172 guys a good roasting

U LOST - admit it, get over it and move on! if u are prepared to go down the strip you have to acknowledge the possibility of loosing? Enjoy ur car for what it does do well!

Well done Tim mate!

Anyone see top gear where they fited theyre stripped out Jag with 200BHP of Nos giving 500BHP and it toasted the worlds fastest production cars - Ferrari 360, Porsche 911 Turbo etc!!!!!

Golf GTI Ed30

Quote: Originally posted by CUPSIZE? on 27 May 2003

U LOST - admit it, get over it and move on! if u are prepared to go down the strip you have to acknowledge the possibility of loosing? Enjoy ur car for what it does do well!

Mate! I have never at any point not admited defeat over this. I knew from the start I was on a loser but Tim asked me for a dual so I did out of sportsmanship. If I had declined, all I would of seen on this site would have been.... CTR CHICKENS OUT TO CUP.. or CUP HAS CTR RUNNING SCARED.

Tim beat me fair and square. Theres no denying that.

What I dont like is some of you guys using ths as a fair CUP vs CTR comparison. Like the first post on this thread suggests...

I quote "Arguement settled, CTR will get blown by a 172/CUP".

Its not what your car looks like -

its not about comparing it to other cars -

its not about how much youve spent -

At york its all about winning. getting through that finishing line first. if someone has modded there car - good for them - if they beat you - tough - you go out & mod yours - go back next week & beat them - thats what the qtr mile is all about - theres nothing to stop you modding your cars so get out there & do it.

Golf GTI Ed30

So just answer me this then mate. If your run that you did yesterday was against Tim, and you lost (which you would of done going by the times), im sure we wouldnt have seen this thread starting off saying... "V6 Clio will get blown by a 172/CUP" Would we......

So if Ive got this right... the CUP was chipped + zorst + filter + stripped out and the CTR was bogg standard....

... and the CUP won over a 1/4 mile... what a surprise.

Everyone on this board is into cars and as such knows that there is very little difference between a CUP and a CTR in terms of performance... and that is an absolute fact.

Saying that one destroyed the other is always going to be a bit of rival car banter... the truth is that they are both too close to call.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

I swear santa pod times out so much more than york, not disputing your times lads, they are very impressive, but santa pod seems to be always less times than york with similar cars..............maybe the start line or something?