ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup engine mounts

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
How i ran my old cup! Worked well imo, a touch of vibration on idle, but meh!

clio 172 cup
Appreciate the answers, pro's and cons of standard and uprated please?

also any links/contacts etc?

Much appreciated, ta

I'm gonna agree sort of with both Tom and Fred

My standard mounts were FUBAR and everytime I accelerated the exhaust was hitting the subframe

I got an uprated dogbone mount for the bottom of the gearbox (powerflex) - but it didn't solve it

So I fitted a full set of K-Tec group N mounts

I have to say they do vibrate their tits off - the dashboard rattles while driving along - I need to go round putting some foam padding in places to quiten it down
I've fitted them properly - followed everyones suggestions - and they still do it

However the car feels more responsive with them on and theirs virtually no engine movement

My car is a weekend toy - so the vibrations don't bother me too much - if yours is a daily driver I think I'd go with Fred's advice and get some new standard mounts but swap the lower gearbox dogbone mount for some powerflex ones

It's a very nice middle-ground compromise with less engine movement and not too much vibration in car

Dodgy one
Got to say my Group Ns were on brand new last week,

Only vibrates the dash when its cold on idle, Driving along you wouldnt know they were different as a passenger. Everything is so much tighter I did the dogbone too

Pikey solution! lol

Got to say my Group Ns were on brand new last week,

Only vibrates the dash when its cold on idle, Driving along you wouldnt know they were different as a passenger. Everything is so much tighter I did the dogbone too

Mine were ok when they were first fitted - but my dash vibrates now between 2-4k rpm

Saying that I had the top of the dash off to fix the alarm a few weeks back - and I think it's rattling about because it's been removed and refitted a few times

I'm just gonna put some thin foam strips where the top part of the dash touches the bottom part - and then refit it

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Pikey solution! lol

Mine were ok when they were first fitted - but my dash vibrates now between 2-4k rpm

Saying that I had the top of the dash off to fix the alarm a few weeks back - and I think it's rattling about because it's been removed and refitted a few times

I'm just gonna put some thin foam strips where the top part of the dash touches the bottom part - and then refit it

Pikey soulution eh !! how much did all your solid mounts cost you AGAIN ?
and still dont sound like your happy with the end result LOL !
Fitting solid mounts only transfers movement of the engine to other parts ie creating stress on other places on car .Your engine needs to be able to move slightly, aint saying my soulution is the best just that it works for me (I have tried vibratechnics and powerflex dogbone too ) and works well and NO my dash aint vibrating LOL !! :D

Pikey soulution eh !! how much did all your solid mounts cost you AGAIN ?
and still dont sound like your happy with the end result LOL !
Fitting solid mounts only transfers movement of the engine to other parts ie creating stress on other places on car .Your engine needs to be able to move slightly, aint saying my soulution is the best just that it works for me (I have tried vibratechnics and powerflex dogbone too ) and works well and NO my dash aint vibrating LOL !! :D

LMFAO - ermmm you clearly don't have a clue

Turning the bottom mount around - your loosening the mount in the casing and reducing some movement on the bottom end which puts more stress on the top end mounts

The engine doesn't "NEED" to move at all - the cup car engines have mounts welded straight to the chassis. The movement in the engine is simply to reduce vibration in an ordinary road car

My mounts are solid top and bottom and I'm very pleased with them. Increase in acceleration - and the throttle is more responsive

The vibration I don't care at all as its a weekend and track car - I was simply saying that if someone was using the car every day of the week it might annoy them

mine's a daily and is fitted with the Vibratechnics/Powerflex - depends what you're used to i think; for the control they have over engine movement, i don't think they vibrate that badly at all, but others'd probably think it awful

if you're even remotely turned off by the prospect of increased vibration, just fit OE + the Powerflex, and accept that you'll be doing it again some time if the car's a long-termer

172 cup
This is probably a very 'noob-ish' question but how can I tell if any of my engine mounts need replacing, and if so which ones? I don't have any knocking noises or anything but sometimes under hard accelleration in 1st and 2nd I get what sounds like a harsh metallic vibration noise, sounds like it's coming from right in front of me.

It's almost as if the exhaust is just nearly touching something and when I give it some it vibrates against whatever it is it is close to. I had a feeling that this might be to do with the botched on exhaust fitted by the previous owner but could it be an engine mount issue?

If it is an engine mount problem am I damaging the car by driving it like this? I only get the noise under really hard accelleration in the lower gears, most of the time it's fine.

Any ideas would be much appreciated, thanks!

That's pretty much the first sign that the mounts are going :)

Mine was the engine top mount (drivers side) - if you get hold of the top of the engine you could move it back and forth about an inch lol

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
LMFAO - ermmm you clearly don't have a clue

Turning the bottom mount around - your loosening the mount in the casing and reducing some movement on the bottom end which puts more stress on the top end mounts

The engine doesn't "NEED" to move at all - the cup car engines have mounts welded straight to the chassis. The movement in the engine is simply to reduce vibration in an ordinary road car

My mounts are solid top and bottom and I'm very pleased with them. Increase in acceleration - and the throttle is more responsive

The vibration I don't care at all as its a weekend and track car - I was simply saying that if someone was using the car every day of the week it might annoy them

no need to Dismiss a soulution as "pikey" when you have not tried it .
By turning the top mount round you are not causing as much stress on the other mounts as a powerflex or uprated bush the oe engine mounts are rubber for a reason engine needs to move a small amount not JUST to reduce vibration its also to reduce stress on other components too maybe you dont know as much as you think you do !!

I know cup racers run solid mounts but you dont have to drive one to work every day !!

errrrrrm -Then again why should I comment I clearly HAVE NOT GOT A CLUE I didnt realise fitting uprated mounts would increase acceleration of my car !!!:D

You are saying what I am saying in your last paragraph track or weekend car soild uprated mounts fine not really a good idea in a road car. Your happy with your soulution I am happy with mine so we will just leave it at that let people make there own choice .

Last edited:
What the f**k are you talking about - reduces stress on what?

Driveshafts? Clutch? Gearbox?

Course it increases acceleration - energy isn't wasted in the engine rocking backwards - its applied directly to the driveshafts and the wheels and forward motion of the car

I just don't get why everytime someone asks about knackered engine mounts (and let me be clear here - he is asking where to get replacement mounts - so his standard ones are shot) you jump up linking to your thread about spinning the dog mount round

If his top mount is fucked (like mine was) your solution will put loads more stress on it, cause more movement and probably knacker the exhaust manifold

I'm out - I can't argue with people who have a basic understanding of newtons third law and then come on here acting like they've been a mechanic for 30 years!