ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup feint tapping noise

172 Cup
I can hear a feint tapping noise at idle on my 172 Cup if I'm sat in the car.
i would best describe it as tappet noise. It's goes away once the revs rise.
Strange thing is if I listen for it with my head in the engine bay I cannot hear it.
Anyone got any ideas?
i did dip the clutch to see if the noise stopped but it was still present. This hopefully rules out any gearbox issues.

Mine does this too but only when the engine is warm and been running for some time. It's only a slight noise but not sure what it is.

172 cup
i get the same mate, when sat in car thin there's a tapping noise, get out and no tapping lol. Fred what does the carbon cannister actually do and why would it tick?.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It's the carbon canister like Fred has suggested I'd imagine. Mine does it as well! The solenoid on the canister clicks and sounds like a tappet.

The carbon canister is there to vent the fuel tank and direct the vapours back into the inlet manifold to be burnt in the engine when the cylinders refill with air/fuel. It will be some directive by the eu for emission control I'd imagine.

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Its always the Cups that are noticeable to... deffo gonna be the canister.

172 Cup
i get the same mate, when sat in car thin there's a tapping noise, get out and no tapping lol. Fred what does the carbon cannister actually do and why would it tick?.

Lol it's not me going mad then. I couldn't understand why the noise went when I got out the car .

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
My cup does the exact same thing, i thought it was in my imagination but the belts and dephaser were done in november!

Its very very faint though!