ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup front shocks on phase 1

Iceberg PH1 172
Can anyone confirm if cup front shocks will straight swap to a phase 1.

I've got a broken spring on the front, it's time to replace and I am gonna do both front legs at same time with new top mounts.

I've intially placed an order via renparts on eBay, and seller is saying they won't fit. Please help.

Iceberg PH1 172
So little update to this,

had the shocks, springs and top mounts fitted yesterday. Car now rattles less but handles like the ARB is disconnected and has started squealing tyres during low speed cornering...

My first thoughts are the alignments out now, but in fairness, the cars ready for a complete steering/suspension refresh too. So are new shocks and top mounts now showing how bad everything else is ? Thoughts anyone? It's a ph1 2001.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Probably just needs the toe setting properly. Check the inner tie rods and track rod ends for play before getting it set up and replace if necessary.

Iceberg PH1 172
@Brigsy - Tie rod and Tracks rods. Will look into it. Thanks.

@James - Thought as much! Mechanic said this wouldn't be needed!!

@Daniel - The rears a mismatched pair of dampers for sure. Won't be helping anything I bet!

So In conclusion.
- check replace tie/track
- new rear dampers and paint springs
- get full alignment

Is it worth doing ARB and rack bushes? Wishbones? Rear beam bushes? I've never replaced them in nearly 4 years and it's a 17 yr old Clio... Hang on think I answered my own question....

MOT is due mid Oct. Times to plough some cash into it me thinks. I've already got brakes all-round on my list. Looks like I'm gonna have to find a full suspension refresh too.