ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup help and information

Ollie's Silver Cup
Hey all, I came across this forum while browsing the 'net for information and advice on buying and running RS clio models; specifically the 172 cup and the 182. So, I thought the best thing to do would be join the site, have a look around the tech threads and ask for some help. :)

I've been driving and modifying a SportKa for the past couple of years, which I've been very happy with.

3915476812_f947edd90e.jpg

The long-term plan for the car was to drop a bigger more powerful engine in it. The more I looked into it and attempted to budget for it, the more expensive and less desirable it seemed as an option. The car's become pretty impractical tbh, and I'm wanting something I can just get in, have fun in and ultimately enjoy driving.

Which led me to the Clio RS models; can get the performance I want in what appears to be a very drivable and enjoyable little car! I was initially looking at the 182 models (looking for something slightly newer than my SportKa) however, the more I searched and looked, the more I was interested in trying to find a 172 cup.

I understand the cup version had all the 'toys' removed, such as xenons,leather etc and benefited from slightly lower suspension, lighter wheels, etc. Mechanically though, in terms of the engine and other components, are the 172 and 172 cup the same?

Is there anything I should be specifically looking out for when viewing cars? Seems engine mounts wearing is something quite common, but I imagine this would be pretty straight forward to replace anyway and I've seen that uprated replacements are available?

I've found a couple of 172 cups quite local, which I'm hoping to get to view and hopefully drive sometime this week. Both are on 53 plates, which I guess would make them one of the last 172 cups and both are little under 40K miles. Very appealing, my only concern being that at their mileage would a cam-belt change be expected soon?

Any general advice on what's potentially problematic on these would be greatly appreciated, as well as any comments on running costs, maintenance, etc ;)

Cheers in advance,
Olly.

clio cup 172
fanatastic car the cup. Then again i am biased! You may die driving it in the wet but at least you go like a man... The cambelt should have been done by now - 5 years is the max. Engine mounts are an easy fix. Exhaust is a very tight fit - nice upgrade is the ktec stealth - not to loud but superb sound. I don't miss the gadgets - although abs would be nice in the wet... I take mine for a good thrap after a week of to and fro in traffic and really look forward to blasting up the a34 bypass my way and down some country lanes.

Best thing as ever is to try it. You may like the goodies of the 182 and the difference in perfermonce is minimal. But i just love the wider track, colour and alloys of the 172 cup.

Liking the cossy wheels,
Buying a cup is no different to buying any other car, just use your noggin, if it looks bad it probably is bad.

Dont fall into the same trap and start modifying it.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Not a fan of Ka's at all but that looks mint!

I would have a Cup anyday tbh, best bang for buck minus the ph1's but its getting harder and harder to find a mint one with decent miles.

They are all generally underpowerd from the factory mind you but at least the Cup weighs the least out of the factory to make up for it :)

Tuning wise they arnt that cheap compared with some engines, to get to the 190bhp mark your looking at cams, de-cat, 182 manifold, matched inlets, decent airbox and a live map, so not cheap. For just under 3k you can get a bolt on ITB kit fitted by Jamsport to give you probably just over the 200bhp mark.

Engine wise the Cup is identical compared to my Ph2 172 minus not having ABS fitted which apparently gives an extra couple of bhp, even though ive never seen any evidence.

Hope this slightly helps, happy hunting!

Dan

clio 172 cup
think i seen the ka week or so back, u been in melton?
ive got 172 cup, stripped it, puts smile on my face everytime i drive it:D.
give 1 a test drive see what u think

As above ^^^

Take one for a drive then that way you'll know what driving/owning an RS clio is like. Also if you do take one out for a drive make sure you take it above 5krpm. It's the RSClio's party trick ;)

Ollie's Silver Cup
Cheers for the replies and help! :)

Best thing as ever is to try it. You may like the goodies of the 182 and the difference in perfermonce is minimal. But i just love the wider track, colour and alloys of the 172 cup.

I think I'll give both a 172 cup and a 182 a try and go from there :)

I like the idea of the wider track on the cup, and really like the alloys on the 172 cup!

Liking the cossy wheels,
Buying a cup is no different to buying any other car, just use your noggin, if it looks bad it probably is bad.

Dont fall into the same trap and start modifying it.

I don't think I'll modify to the same degree again; possibly a few little bits and pieces. Main thing is having a car that's enjoyable and fun to drive :cool:

Tuning wise they arnt that cheap compared with some engines, to get to the 190bhp mark your looking at cams, de-cat, 182 manifold, matched inlets, decent airbox and a live map, so not cheap. For just under 3k you can get a bolt on ITB kit fitted by Jamsport to give you probably just over the 200bhp mark.

I think going from 95bhp in the SportKa to the 172/182 of a Clio will keep me happy for a while :D I'm not planning on messing with anything too much if I get one, maybe an exhaust and filter, but nothing major :)

think i seen the ka week or so back, u been in melton?

I've not been into Melton for a while, so I'm not 100% sure to be honest. I've probably been around the area though, so may well have been :D

Also if you do take one out for a drive make sure you take it above 5krpm. It's the RSClio's party trick ;)

VVT I'm guessing? :D

Just going back to the cam-belt issue too, what's the expected life of them and when should they be changed? I appreciate it may be difficult to say precisely, but any kind of rough idea would be great :) The SportKa is chain driven, so I've never had to worry about replacing a cam-belt.

Ollie's Silver Cup
Forgot to mention that I've spoken to my insurance too and the cost of changing from the SportKa to a 172 cup doesn't seem too unreasonable :cool:

£550, which I'm pretty pleased with, as I've still got 11 months left on this policy until renewal :D

Considering that's going from a group 6 with 95bhp to a group 16 with 172, I can't really complain.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
If your after the asthetics of the cup (i.e the Cup spoiler and Speedline wheels) Then why not just but a normal 172 and add these to it?

There IS no difference in real world speed

MCS R56
I think the VVT kicks in around 1.8k rpm, sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. After 5k rpm is when all the power is unleashed, some say "On cam y0" lol. You get a nice little kick once you reach 5k.

It's just a shame it's got sod all before 5000 rpm!

Ollie's Silver Cup
Thanks for the all the replies :)

I went for a blast in a mates 182 last night and absolutely loved it! So I'm completely sold on moving to an RS Clio :D

Still torn between a 172 cup and a 182, but I've yet to drive a 172 cup.

Going to look at a couple around the East Midlands, both on 53 plates, 40-50K miles, FSH, etc. Described as immaculate, so fingers crossed they are! :cool:

Renaultsport Clio 182
depending on your budget why not try and get yourself into a Trophy - it's the daddy of the 182 family with sachs race derived dampers so it handles better than the rest, comes with recaro seats and the same wheels as the 172 Cup.

just a thought.......

Gordini Cliosport 182
Glad you liked driving it Olly, dont discount the 182 FF. The toys are very nice when its an everyday car. I hope i showed you what they are capable of last night!!!!

Ollie's Silver Cup
Glad you liked driving it Olly, dont discount the 182 FF. The toys are very nice when its an everyday car. I hope i showed you what they are capable of last night!!!!

Definitely, cheers for yesterday! :cool:

I was very impressed with it and, like I say, love how it drives!

Heading over to Derby and a silver 172 cup on Friday and if it's good, and assuming they'll take my car, I think I'll be going for it! :D

I know I'll be taking a bigger hit part-ex'ing my car, than I could sell it for privately, but it's certainly more convenient and easier.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
fanatastic car the cup. Then again i am biased! You may die driving it in the wet but at least you go like a man... The cambelt should have been done by now - 5 years is the max. Engine mounts are an easy fix. Exhaust is a very tight fit - nice upgrade is the ktec stealth - not to loud but superb sound. I don't miss the gadgets - although abs would be nice in the wet... I take mine for a good thrap after a week of to and fro in traffic and really look forward to blasting up the a34 bypass my way and down some country lanes.

Ditto.

Except the to and fro...mine just gets country roads and tracks now after 95k of comuting, and it's still lapping it up at 114k.

:D

Gordini Cliosport 182
Well done Oliver! Cant wait to see it tomorrow. We are all going to miss the Ka very much, but your moving on to an awsome motor!!!!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
My old man lives in South Wigston so if I am ever about I don't mind going out for a drive as they're are some great roads by him.

Ollie's Silver Cup
Cheers guys :D

Well done Oliver! Cant wait to see it tomorrow. We are all going to miss the Ka very much, but your moving on to an awsome motor!!!!

Should be good! I'll give you ring after I've heard from the garage in the morning :D

I think now was the right time for the Ka to go and the Clio is the right choice :)

Had fun with that headunit in the ka on the way home, I don't think there's any way to to skip tracks on it!! :cry:

My old man lives in South Wigston so if I am ever about I don't mind going out for a drive as they're are some great roads by him.

Would be cool, yeah! :D They're some pretty good roads for a fun drive!

Ollie's Silver Cup
Picked up the 172 cup earlier today!! :cool:

Totally loving it!! :D Left the garage with it around 2:30 and just got home after having a bit of fun in it!! :evil:

Going to give it a good clean; it was valeted, but I'll give it a proper going over tomorrow if I have time. Very impressed with the condition though, especially the interior which is near enough immaculate :)

Best was my insurance though; I was quoted a price of £570 to change from the SportKa to the Clio. When I rang this morning to change it over, they told me as I was on a modified car policy, I'd get a hefty discount if I was to modify the Clio in any way! So one performance filter later and I was given a £340 discount on insurance change-over costs! Making it £230 to switch to the 172 cup :D :D :D

clio cup 172
Result!! Did you end up with a silver one? They are quite rare! I love that kick higher up the rev range. Just be a little more tender in the wet as it is a little quicker than a Ka! Keep a close eye on the tyre pressures - check the manual for the correct ones - it is sensitive if one or two points out. ALso tracking is always worth £20 notes.

Ollie's Silver Cup
Result!! Did you end up with a silver one? They are quite rare! I love that kick higher up the rev range. Just be a little more tender in the wet as it is a little quicker than a Ka! Keep a close eye on the tyre pressures - check the manual for the correct ones - it is sensitive if one or two points out. ALso tracking is always worth £20 notes.

Yeah, got a silver one! :D

It's got climate spec'd on it too! Didn't even know it was available as an option on cups! :S

Ollie's Silver Cup
Cheers :D

Been driving it as much as possible today and I really am very very impressed! :D

It could do with a service soon, which I'm hoping to get done next week, along with the timing and accessories belts! Although it's not done the mileage, the car's now almost six years old, so really don't want to take the chance of cam belt going! :)

The front splitter's missing, so I'm thinking of getting a carbon replacement. Just a little concerned with the durability of the carbon item; I'll have a search through the forums as I'm sure there must be numerous threads on this!

Similarly, the wheels could do with a refurb; bit of curbing and pitting on the rear. Again, thought I'd take the opportunity to maybe change the colour of them at the same time! :)

Other than those couple of things, I'm genuinely very impressed with the condition of the car and it's clear it's been pretty well cared for and looked after! :cool:

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

Been driving it as much as possible today and I really am very very impressed! :D

It could do with a service soon, which I'm hoping to get done next week, along with the timing and accessories belts! Although it's not done the mileage, the car's now almost six years old, so really don't want to take the chance of cam belt going! :)

The front splitter's missing, so I'm thinking of getting a carbon replacement. Just a little concerned with the durability of the carbon item; I'll have a search through the forums as I'm sure there must be numerous threads on this!

Similarly, the wheels could do with a refurb; bit of curbing and pitting on the rear. Again, thought I'd take the opportunity to maybe change the colour of them at the same time! :)

Other than those couple of things, I'm genuinely very impressed with the condition of the car and it's clear it's been pretty well cared for and looked after! :cool:

I have a k-tec splitter on my 172, it's lasted over 30k and had 2 meetings with low kerbs. No different to a Renault jobbie IMO.

clio cup 172

Get the timing belt etc done asap. They should be done at 5 years. The aircon was only an option in the last run of cups, so well done, you wont sweat like a lardy sod in the hot weather (about 3 days a year!):S

ibiza cupra
i hate ka`s but i have to say mate that yours looks well nice. as for the cup. you wont regret it if you get one.