ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup modifications

Im just curious what peoples opinions are on what modifications I should make to my 172 Cup. At the moment, it is totally standard, so any thoughts are welcome!!

Coilovers, 205 tyres, buckets, harnesses, decent steering wheel, cage, itg maxogen custom race exhaust, cams, headwork, manifold work, stand alone ecu etc etc

2005 Impreza WRX STI

full exhaust inc de cat, itg maxogen filter or bmc, coilovers, silvervisions and brakes! then maybe look at cams / manifold/head work and chip

damn that was quick!!! so, bearing in mind im a total automotive r****d, if i was to, as Fred says, start with coilovers and brakes, what recommendations would you have?

[Edited by grae on 8/3/2005 2:49:05 PM]

H&R coilovers are awesome. I had the 1st set in the club and about 7 other members now have them and they all love them,lol.

2005 Impreza WRX STI

H and R coilovers then brembo 4 pots if u can afford it. if not ask fred/yoz about their brake kit

If you are not interested in trackdays then coilovers just have to be a waste of time. Can you really measure the difference they would make on the road? They may make your car stiffer, but that does not always equate to better handling!

Dave

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by davyboy on 03 August 2005

If you are not interested in trackdays then coilovers just have to be a waste of time. Can you really measure the difference they would make on the road? They may make your car stiffer, but that does not always equate to better handling!

Dave
homo;)

Dave

Trust me they arent a waste of time. I had H&Rs on the 172 and they werent a harsh ride infact they were better than the standard suspension on poor roads. I could carry considerably more speed through roundabouts and bends the car had a faster/sharper turn in the bodyroll was all but gone and as an additional plus it looked alot better than the std 4x4 ride height.

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 03 August 2005

Dave

Trust me they arent a waste of time. I had H&Rs on the 172 and they werent a harsh ride infact they were better than the standard suspension on poor roads. I could carry considerably more speed through roundabouts and bends the car had a faster/sharper turn in the bodyroll was all but gone and as an additional plus it looked alot better than the std 4x4 ride height.

youre SUCH a boyracer

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 03 August 2005

Dave

youre SUCH a boyracer

Neon washer jets, Ripspeed stickers, chromer spinners wheel trims, stick on chrome tailpipe

:eek:

The pair of you can suck me off, mike you get the balls Fred youre taking a shot in the mouth. Im sick of people saying dont get coilovers for a road car thats b****cks IMO.

ah yeah but.......if you were driving with another cup owner who had standard suspension and could drive round the same corner faster.....what would be your thinking then?

Youre a crap driver?

Youre new suspension is in fact crap?

I am really playing devils advocate here, but for the most part the cars are great as they are, and you can spend an awful lot of money on them to see little in the way of returns.

Dave :)

I would conceed that the other driver has more skill. If i feel happier with the car travelling at speed and infact can traverse the same bends and roundabouts at higher speeds than with OE kit im sure its down to the suspension and not a massive leap in my driving ability ;)

DC5

Anywhere between £650 and £800 depending where you look.
A bit more than I was thinking. Are all coilovers this expensive?

DC5

I know there is the argument going on above, and I do intend to do the odd trackday in the future, but do they really warrant spending £500 on them when the majority of my driving is on the everyday road?

MERCEDES CLS AMG

PIPER 285 CAMS - HILLPOWER 01530 273633 £170 + vat exchange

VIPER RAM AIR - K-TEC 01202 820800 £200 + vat

GAS FLOWED INLET MANIFOLD - HILLPOWER 01530 273633 £130 + vat

DE-CAT - Any nob with a hacksaw and welder

R-SPORT ECU - R-SPORT UK 0208 540 9991 £280 + vat

I achieved 197 bhp with these cheap mods - all for under a £1k

Quote: Originally posted by Bezza4 on 03 August 2005

I know there is the argument going on above, and I do intend to do the odd trackday in the future, but do they really warrant spending £500 on them when the majority of my driving is on the everyday road?
The man from Del Monte? He say... yes.

i would say out of the mods i carried out on my 172 they were the one i felt gave the best VFM. Car was improved for all types of driving not just fast or track work.

DC5

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 03 August 2005

The man from Del Monte? He say... yes.

OK. So will I be able to get a decent set for about £500? If so what make and where from?

I dont suppose there are any group buys going to take place soon, or anyone is selling any second hand?

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 03 August 2005

you obviously need to spend some time with the Yozzasport cars Davy!!
If it would make me spend money on the Clio then I dont want to! If you want to lend me one I would be happy to sing its praises ;)

Dave

Lionel Richie

yes, you would need to leave you cheque book at home

we have some very interesting stuff under testing, keep your eyes peeled, thats all im saying

OK. So will I be able to get a decent set for about £500? If so what make and where from?

I dont suppose there are any group buys going to take place soon, or anyone is selling any second hand?

I personally would see if you can get a better deal but i doubt youll get under £650.

There was going to be a group buy but it didnt happen. Speak to nickg123 i think he can get them at a good price. Second hand? tbh everyone has been so happy with them the only way theyll come up second hand is if they are changing cars or trading them in and want the car back to standard.

Weeman sucks ****

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 03 August 2005
Coilovers and decat would be first for me...

Thats what I have done to my cup. H&Rs are fantastic and the full prospeed with decat adds to the fun. Not sure I need anymore power but a maxogen would be nice.

From the 2.5 years Ive had mine and done various trackdays...H&Rs>>>then Seats (which I really need)>>>then Exhausts. Get used to those changes then start tinkering with the engine but tbh, theres plenty there...unless youre loaded of course. BUY THE LOT, lol.

Chris add the steering wheel when you do the seats trust me its a major improvement. Next time im near your side of the country (or vice versa) youll have to take a seat in mine.

Weeman sucks ****

Defo mate, Ive found that seats are a must. Especially as Im a skinny tw*t! I swear I was in the passenger seat a couple of times round brands!