ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup - oil capacity?

172 mk2...with clima
scary....now who shall i believe? I reckon the moderator who can spell is a better bet, though who knows? I might go with the wild card illiterate fella and just fill it until it comes out the top :D

just kidding :rasp:

thanks guys

SLK 350
The book quotes 4.75L so....its 4.75L

Amazes me how people wouldn't know how much oil to use after a change..tut tut.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
ozzyo99 said:
The book quotes 4.75L so....its 4.75L

Amazes me how people wouldn't know how much oil to use after a change..tut tut.

Amazes me too . Five and a half letters ,lol . 4.75 litres as ozzy said for a 172 / 182 .

J

Jim NM

The book does say 4.75ltrs however the dip stick is the best way to ensure that you have put enough in init LOL :) 5 w 40 Valvoline very good oil and 100% synthetic not too expensive either.:approve:

172 mk2...with clima
I just went to the Renault dealer to get a filter (and the washer, a special one with a rubber ring in it that should be changed every time) and they said 'book says 4.9 litres when you do the filter as well'

Andy

Anyone know the torque setting for the drain bolt?

best way ..............4.75litres and check ur dip dude , is about right ;)
had some back from my 5litre tub after service :star:

SLK 350
Papercup said:
Anyone know the torque setting for the drain bolt?

You'll need an 8mm (3/8" old money) square drive fella, its a cooount to get out too so be careful you don't skin your knuckles.

As long as your dipstick reads correct levels then 4.9L is fine as some will reside in the filter itself. Remember for your dipstick oyu need to be on level ground, and also your engine shouldn't be warm as expansion won't give you an accurate reading. You can also press in the trip reset button when your car is displaying 'OIL OK' to get a metered reading:

000000 - full
------ - empty.

And remember to take off the sump guard totally, otherwise the oil drips onto the sump tray and then leaves all over your drive for months after, i know from experience lol :)

SLK 350
Your car won't just die if you put 5L in, but Renault states 4.75L witohut filter change, and 4.9L with. Theres a buffer within what they tell you and the MAX level on the dipstick, but putting significantly to much oil in can cause your pistons to flood, a little overboard though and it will just burn off.

Knowing what Renault are like with warranty though, if you tell them you used 5L, they will void your whole warranty :)

172 mk2...with clima
ozzyo99 said:
You'll need an 8mm (3/8" old money) square drive fella, its a cooount to get out too so be careful you don't skin your knuckles.

As long as your dipstick reads correct levels then 4.9L is fine as some will reside in the filter itself. Remember for your dipstick oyu need to be on level ground, and also your engine shouldn't be warm as expansion won't give you an accurate reading. You can also press in the trip reset button when your car is displaying 'OIL OK' to get a metered reading:

000000 - full
------ - empty.

And remember to take off the sump guard totally, otherwise the oil drips onto the sump tray and then leaves all over your drive for months after, i know from experience lol :)

8mm allen bolt with 3/8 drive? I just saw one in Halfords (along with a 10mm) and wondered if it was one of them.

Just bought a 3/8 drive torque wrench; you know what nM or foot pounds drain bolt should be done up to?

Andy

SLK 350
As long as theres no oil seeping from it, then its tight enough. Just rub some grease onto it once you've tightened it up to stop anything ceasing/corroding - non-essential, but a good idea all the same.