ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup - Oil leak to top of rocker cover

172cup & 182cup pk'd
Hello
I was changing my spark plugs on my 172 cup yesterday and i noticed oil had been leaking over the top of the rocker cover, seems to be coming from a gasket between the rocker and as what i could describe as being an oil breather on top of the rocker.

Spark plug 1, 3 & 4 contained a bit of oil round them but spark plug 2 was clean/empty as should be.

I've read on here that its the rocker cover gasket but the oil leak appears to be leaking on to the top of the rocker cover from another part bolted on top of the rocker.

Anyone have any idea what this could be, any onelse had it diagnosed and repaired?

Cheers Griff

Lots of Alfas
Most of them do it, more so when they are new. As long as its not excessive. Try cleaning it off and see how long it takes to get oiled up again..

Mondeo TDCI 130
Piece off piss to do mate, remove the top part of the inlet manifold, then theres around 12 10MM headed bolts, remove the breather plate, give it a good clean up, should be a metal gasket, so a nice smear of sealer each side and re - assemble it all! be careful not to overtighten the bolts! they snap fairly easily! think the torque is 12NM (dont quote me)!, eventually it will start running onto the manifold and smoking!

same as mine after 6 months of ownership , took it back to the stealers as it was still uber warranty , does seem to be common thing on the cups iirc

TDI tyre shreader
Piece off piss to do mate, remove the top part of the inlet manifold, then theres around 12 10MM headed bolts, remove the breather plate, give it a good clean up, should be a metal gasket, so a nice smear of sealer each side and re - assemble it all! be careful not to overtighten the bolts! they snap fairly easily! think the torque is 12NM (dont quote me)!, eventually it will start running onto the manifold and smoking!

EEEERRRRRRRR and the rest the rocker cover holds the cams in!

Clown Car
^ I was just thinking that, don't those bolts hold the whole cam cover/cam assembly down, i have noticed oil weeping around the heads of those bolts, which suggests to me that the cam cover seal has failed or was never done properly in the first place and is allowing oil into the bolt hole and up and out under the bolt head.

Some dealers quick fix was to remove 1 bolt at a time and apply loctite under the bolt head then re-fit the bolt, in effect sealing the bolt head to the cover which stops the oil weeping out but is not really the proper fix.

172cup & 182cup pk'd
So is there an oil breather on top of the rocker cover that also has a gasket and if so will removing it affect the cam's ????

CB600FS
So is there an oil breather on top of the rocker cover that also has a gasket and if so will removing it affect the cam's ????

No SBV and BMH are both right in what they say. Once you've removed the top half of the manifold, at the back (roughly under Renault Sport bit on the manifold) you'll see a small piece bolted on again, thats the bit you'll want to remove.

This bit...
MarkMEngineBay.jpg

*MarkM's Photo*

172cup & 182cup pk'd
“you'll see a small piece bolted on again, that’s the bit you'll want to remove”

This is the part I described as being an oil breather - any ideas of what it is because I’m certain the oil leak is leaking from this part and not the rocker

Megane
It'll be the breather gasket, as has been said its fairly common, had mine done under warranty, and its started leaking a little again I think...

CB600FS
“you'll see a small piece bolted on again, that’s the bit you'll want to remove”

This is the part I described as being an oil breather - any ideas of what it is because I’m certain the oil leak is leaking from this part and not the rocker

Yeah see the red bit on the pic above.

Mondeo TDCI 130

EEEERRRRRRRR and the rest the rocker cover holds the cams in!

Where do i say to remove the cam carriers?:nono: