ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup or 182 Cup, what would you do?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
the 182 you were looking at was mine till april this year, was maintained regardless of cost etc. Never had any probs with engine, electrics etc (no problems at all actually). Driven a lot of clio's, def a good one, one of the strongest engines I've driven. Friend of mine bought one with lower mileage, but the gearbox feels rough, doesn't feel as strong throughout the rev range. Mine never had anything but optimax, never ragged from cold, would never have sold it had I not needed to.

Actually had one prob, cruise contol packed up due to loose switch on brake pedal.

Last edited:
  Mk1 1.2 & Mk1 172
172 Cup... great car to strip out... no air con or ABS brakes to mess around with... car is good track car without stripping it tbh! Less than a ton, kerb weight.

clio 200 F4Rt
the 182 you were looking at was mine till april this year, was maintained regardless of cost etc. Never had any probs with engine, electrics etc (no problems at all actually). Driven a lot of clio's, def a good one, one of the strongest engines I've driven. Friend of mine bought one with lower mileage, but the gearbox feels rough, doesn't feel as strong throughout the rev range. Mine never had anything but optimax, never ragged from cold, would never have sold it had I not needed to.

Actually had one prob, cruise contol packed up due to loose switch on brake pedal.

which one was that? been looking at a few recently!

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
182 cup, newer and nicer looking than the poverty spec 172 cup and cheaper than 182 FF.

Get a 172 cup if you want to track it or like the rest of us who use it everyday go for 182 cup.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
lol same here..? Heavy 'bin lid wheels', not as light etc etc. 172 cup all day long. you wont miss aircon, easier for engine mods without (smaller alternator, more room in the bay) summer has gone too ;) 172 has thinner glass. Also with out the aircon no power sapping pump to drive :)

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
182 cup, newer and nicer looking than the poverty spec 172 cup and cheaper than 182 FF.

Get a 172 cup if you want to track it or like the rest of us who use it everyday go for 182 cup.

For ''poverty spec'' read lighter & faster.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

Owned both and the 172 is not faster at all, in fact i think my 182 cup handles better (maybe because of 205 PE2's).

To me the 182 cup is the 172 cup that you can live with everyday.

Besides if you pick an 05 plate 182 you still get one year warrenty, so you can't beat that!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
But you can live with a 172 cup everyday? :S

its not a westfield or something!

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Reduced sound deadning ring a bell? or should i say ears? lol

Anyway I liked both of them but give me the newer just as fast warrntyied car anyday. :p

I will buy another 172 cup again but it will be for track.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
A bit of foam makes fook all difference to cabin noise imo, my 182 with cup-packs sounds no different to the Cup imo. 3rd year warrenty is probably not worth the paper its written on from Renault any how :)

Mondeo TDCI 130

Owned both and the 172 is not faster at all, in fact i think my 182 cup handles better (maybe because of 205 PE2's).

Besides if you pick an 05 plate 182 you still get one year warrenty, so you can't beat that!

the 182 cup i drove let me down, felt so different than my 172!, seemed to lack the rawness!!

Peddled device
For track/stripped out racer evryone would say 172 Cup

For everyday use 182 Cup

I went from 172 Cup to 182 Cup and the 182 is just as quick...and the RB colour is better IMHO

172 Cup
pfft too many 172 Cup pretenders on here, get a 172 Cup and make it into a dirty *****.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Mine would have been, cams were next, but milage was high, didn't fancy it on 75k. Wouldnt have had me moneys worth ;)

182BG
what the hell is all this "everyday use" they are the same car pretty much.
I didn't think my 172cup was any louder inside than my 182cup was, performance wise there wasn't much difference, though the 182 felt a little more solid when driving (think that was because it was newer) but in turn made me prefer the 172, dunno why, hard to explain.

If you plan to mod it loads, then the best option would be to go for the 172cup as they are cheaper.
and imo the better colour, i always found the racing blue was a tad bit girly for my liking ;) *runs*

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

the 182 cup i drove let me down, felt so different than my 172!, seemed to lack the rawness!!

lacking the grp n inlets and another probable 50kg in weight. There is only ONE Cup, and it doesnt have 182 in the title. It was a marketing ploy ;) ;)

runs*** :rasp:

Nippy white cup
I think the interior is worse in the 182 Cup isn't it? The 172 seats are just plain but aren't the 182 ones a bit garish? And doesn't the 182 cup have a 1.2 steering wheel?

Also it is pointless comparing the performance as we all know how much they vary..if you have a bad cup and a good 182 then obviously it will faster..

Chris

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
I dont want to argue as we are all clio lovers on here, so lets just all agree that the 182 cup is the better car he he.. (kidding).

At the end of the day its entirley up to personal preference. Choose the car that is right for you..

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
172 cup would be my choice... less crap to throw out to loose weight, plus stealth zorst

clio 200 F4Rt
i am pretty sure i will go with the 172 cup, as it is lighter and cheaper etc.

and i do plan to do alot to it (chassis, suspension, brake wise).

Anyone wanna photoshop a few colour schemes??