ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Originality/recommissioning

02teasda

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 172 Cup
Hopefully in the next week or so I’ll be back in a 172 Cup after 9 years since I swore never to buy another French car [emoji2357]
Hopefully this time around will be a completely different ownership experience.
All being well I’ll be picking up a 54k miles, 2 owner, in Mondial blue with original Turinis and original interior, air box etc.
The car has been in storage for 3 years so I will be bringing it home on a transporter and it will be going to Andy Harland in Darlington for belts etc, fluids, gearbox oil, and general recommissioning.
I hope to get the car as original as possible, it will be by no means a restoration but just tidying up as much as possible.
Now I have 2 questions,
1. Any things I should look at/change/renew when recommissioning?
2. What original features should I be looking to renew that only a keen eye would spot? For example things like the battery terminal cover missing?
Look forward to getting the car back to its best hopefully and chatting with you all.
All the best
Sam

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds cool!

Hard to say without seeing photos, but 172 Cup Badges on the doors sometimes fall off and can be picked up on Renault Parts Direct. Cup splitter is an added bonus. Easy to spot apart from other splitters.

Probably worth refreshing the suspension with some OEM Cup dampers and perhaps some fresh bushes for the arb, wishbones, rear beam etc. Mileage is low, but I suspect if it's been sat for some time it's still worth doing.

Either OE or aftermarket such as powerflex. That's all these cars need to be brilliant. Looking forward to photos.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Get some nylon steering rack bushes, and tie rod ends inner/outer in there too, if they've never been looked at.

Steering wheel will probably be melted, but a nice retrim shouldn't detract from originality too much.

I've got a standard 172 Cup, as above likely original bits needed are door badges, mats, sticker for gear knob, splitter, belts, dephaser, big services, new brakes, ps3 tyres, and original springs, dampers, bushes, engine and exhaust mounts, detailing and go enjoy.

Hopefully in the next week or so I’ll be back in a 172 Cup after 9 years since I swore never to buy another French car [emoji2357]
Hopefully this time around will be a completely different ownership experience.
All being well I’ll be picking up a 54k miles, 2 owner, in Mondial blue with original Turinis and original interior, air box etc.
The car has been in storage for 3 years so I will be bringing it home on a transporter and it will be going to Andy Harland in Darlington for belts etc, fluids, gearbox oil, and general recommissioning.
I hope to get the car as original as possible, it will be by no means a restoration but just tidying up as much as possible.
Now I have 2 questions,
1. Any things I should look at/change/renew when recommissioning?
2. What original features should I be looking to renew that only a keen eye would spot? For example things like the battery terminal cover missing?
Look forward to getting the car back to its best hopefully and chatting with you all.
All the best
Sam
I've spent the past year doing pretty much what you are planning.

First thing to check is how much rust there is on the shell? All the points worth checking are well documented on this very forum. Im thinking Sills, rear arches, fuel filler etc.

If the car has an original interior then you are already doing well. Cup interior isnt necessarily expensive but in my experience, its very hard to lay your hands on seats etc in good condition.

1, Shocks, springs, brakes, bushes, exhaust, tyres should all be checked and replaced where required.
2, Battery terminal is a cheap item from RPD, Cup 172 Door stickers are expensive for what they are in my opinion and are very low quality. The black bumper inserts are something ridiculous like £40, Gear stick sticker, Elf Sticker on rear window, Grill stickers, Renault Sport badge on tailgate, Spare wheel and or Tools.

Looking forward to seeing pics!

Also want to check for leaks too, boot grommets are only a few quid to replace and likely culprits to let water in.

I forgot to mention splitter and boot struts, another two expensive items.

02teasda

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 172 Cup
I think the original door stickers and splitter are present, it’s getting new rear springs this week to get it through it’s MOT.
As it’s going to be a second car I’ll be in no rush so I’ll probably take the rear beam off completely and clean everything up and get it painted, renewing brakes, suspension etc as I go. Then I’ll move on to the front. The engine bay will be getting tackled first as it’s pretty clean already, obviously I’ll be getting work done and will have the inlet manifold/plenum and cam cover etc off so may get those blasted before sealing.
Not sure how good the hidden areas are yet as I haven’t had chance to get underneath it yet so will see about that but it looks good so far.
Good to know a lot of the original stuff is still there and I’ll be keen to get things like the gear knob decal and elf window sticker.
Already spent loads of time reading through the wealth of knowledge on the forum and getting inspirations from some of the dedication from some members!
I’ll get some pictures up and maybe start a project thread as soon as possible

02teasda

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 172 Cup
You also need a slight selector seal leak for it to be truly OEM too [emoji6]

Funny you should say that... [emoji849]

59d897b6c5cd17f6a379414de1c3556c.jpg