ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup sound like diesel(sounds like a top end prob) when warm (ok when cold)

172 Phase 2 Cup
Had my clio for a month now, its a 172 cup on a 52 plate. I boughtit as a little project with shot tyres and brakes, and lots of little bits that need to be just gone over with a fine brush. I recently noticed that when it warms up it starts making a XUD9(pre-war diesel engine) like noise, took it to the garage - bad news: sounds like something wrong with the top end. Do not think my policy of driving - like it was stolen helps. It has not had belt change in ever i dont think its now at 53k, has anyone got any ideas what it could be. Thanks a lot

BMW F21 125d
If it only does it on tick over, when warm, its your dephaser pulley.
At 900rpm or so it'll do it, but when you rev it up to say 1500rpm or so, it stops ?
Then its deffinatley your dephaser. Quite common unfortunatley.
Driving style shouldnt affect it, its all to do with valve timing.
Got warranty ? Obvioulsy its over-due a cam belt change anyway as its 5 years old. Two birds with one stone.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Have you checked the plug leads are dry inside. Its possible there's condensation inside if its got wet at all. That will cause intermittent misfire which will make the engine run roughly.

Audi A4 TDi Sport
i think the dephaser pulley is on its way out on mine to. sorry to sound thick but what does it actually do and could it lead to anything more serious?