ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup, Tow Bar?

Up rocks
I might buy another 172 Cup as the last one was a blast, only problem being i need to be able to tow my trials bike trailer, anyone ever fitted a tow bar to a cup?

might be worth a search as i think there's something to do with the car not being type approved for towing; not sure of the real-world/practical legality of just doing it regardless

Polo + Micra
I dont care if it was certified as it will be towing a modern trials bike which weighs less than a large passenger.

which is more than the 0kg you are allowed to tow.

just remember to tell your insurance about the modification

Up rocks
Have already spoken to insurance company, all they cared about was how heavy the car is and what weight i want to tow so they could calculate the towing weight allowed. All im interested in is fitment, can anyone see a reason why a towbar for a standard clio of the same age wont fit under a 172 Cup bumper?

S&K

182 cup + Elise
This one ? can't find the pics with it hooked up to the 172 though. I had it to do some work on it before it was due on track the following weekend, great car !!:D

trampolinecat035.jpg

trampolinecat034.jpg

trampolinecat033.jpg

trampolinecat032.jpg

Up rocks
Does anyone have contact details for the guy with Atom then? Towbar companys are telling me that 'Clio Sports' (thats right 'Clio Sports') can't tow due to the style of the exhaust, i can see why a 182 would have trouble, but a 172?

S&K

182 cup + Elise
Not a big job to fit it, they aint that different underneath and his car has done hundreds of trips towing his Caterham and the Atoms around the country, in fact the Clio tows the Atom brilliantly.

Mick on here with the van on airbags (see thread in project section named "the daily") had to put the standard bumper back on to his van as the towbar didn't fit with the sport bumper. May be different with other makes of towbar however so might be worth finding out the model he has.

S&K

182 cup + Elise
The Bosal version is the one that comes under the bumper with the electrics hidden, Mikes one is the one that looks like the c**k and balls version with the electrics on the outside

HTH

Simon

S&K

182 cup + Elise
I was driving for Mike and Ben, not done it this last 12 months because of other things going on but there can't be 2 172 Cups that tow Atoms ! I did one day last year at Prodrive for Drivers Dream Days but I only took the car and helped putting the clients in that time with the Atom3, the one pictured is the other Atom they have, the Atom2 245. Mat Wisher was driving that day. I did a lot of dates for 6th Gear driving the Atom and the Caterham for Mike and Ben so it'll be the same guys i'm presuming? Small world eh ? :)

S&K

182 cup + Elise
A few pics from when I drove for them in 2008, this was 6th Gear at Elvington :)

Elvington2008.jpg

Elvington20082.jpg

Me fiddling with the Caterham before taking the next customer for a fast lap and Ben walking towards me
Elvington20083.jpg

Last edited:
  Up rocks
The Bosal version is the one that comes under the bumper with the electrics hidden, Mikes one is the one that looks like the c**k and balls version with the electrics on the outside

HTH

Simon

Thanks will check out the thread, and have a close look at a Bosal towbar :)

S&K

182 cup + Elise
yeah i know wisher! i believe Darren the boss put the atom into a hedge that day

That must have been a different day as the issue with the Atom that day was a melted cam sensor !! never have much luck with the Atom's lol :D