ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup vs BMW (unknown)

Titanium ph1 turbo

hey all,

right Ive had my cup a week now, done 500 miles in it so its probably just broken in.

Anyway, came off a roundabout tonight onto a straight stretch of dual carridgeway about 3 miles long, not a car on the road except for a BMW which came tearing round the roundabout and sat on my bumper just as I was about to turn off. Sensing he wanted to "test" me, I thought id give him a run for his money so I accelerated off the roundabout and he pulled out as if to overtake, but I kept my foot down... anyway, i dont normally do this as im not really a boy racer, but I guess the child in me got the better of me.. I kept my foot down and just went for it and so did he... side by side we sat level all the way upto 120mph, not an inch in it.. I backed off at 120 as my girlfriend was in the car screaming at me to stop (sigh)... and the BMW went past, but I didnt manage to see what model it was.. from what I remember it was a new shape one, and convertable .. anyone got any ideas ? I checked on the net, and found the 330xi which has 225bhp and looks roughly the same sorta figures for 0-60 and 0-100 as my cup... all the same I was quite impressed as I always thought BMWs were slow cars due to their weight, even though they had some bigger engines in them than most cars....

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

WHAT WAS IT? lol, i stayed with a 328 to 90 then we had to slow for the roundabout so I hope it was a quicker one? lol

Titanium ph1 turbo

I hope it was a 330 and not a 328, id be dissapointed if it was a 328 :p ....... whatever it was it sat exactly parrallel to me upto 120 before I backed off coz of my girlfriend going crackers ! there wasnt an inch in it at all. I thought it was great, partly due to the fact he pulled into the outside lane coming off the roundabout as if to say "move over" before wed even got there... to have him sitting approx 2 car lengths behind me chasing me all the way was enough to make me smile.. its just a shame my girlfriend was in the car, as I would have pressed on instead of backing off.

wont have an x in it mate the x designates its 4x4 and bmw never released 4x4 models in the uk, plus to my knowledge they have never ever made a convertible 4x4 but ill double check at work, wouldnt be surprised at you keeping up with a 330ci convertible tho as its heavier than the coupe and if it was an auto that knocks almost a second off the 0-60 time

Titanium ph1 turbo

yeh I have no idea what model it was, at the point i backed off i was too busy trying to calm my girlfriend down, women just dont understand... I wish id looked over to see.

lol, depends on the woman, some i know are always encouraging me to drive fast where as others are the type that either b*llock me and tell me to slow down or they go very quiet and start holding onto the side of the seat base or the grab handles for dear life, lol

Titanium ph1 turbo

we had an argument for the duration of the journy home where she said she never goes over 85 in her Ka .. I told her that my cup at 120 was probably safer than her Ka at 85.. blah blah blah ...... all the way home until I finally gave in and told her I was in the wrong .. ;)

Titanium ph1 turbo

p.s. before anyone says anything about me driving at 120 and being wreckless, I want to point out there was NO other cars on the road at all, just me and the BMW, and no I dont drive like a nob jockey most of the time, only when I know its safe.

BMW X5, Exige 260.

dont worry mate this aint scoobynet where you get all that sanctimonious, pious, PC bolleux.

Sounds like you gave Mr. Rep a nasty surpirse hehehehe

The Cup is a bit of a Q car, not many roiad users realise its potential, especially not t**ser reps on BMW s etc.

i work at a bmw dealer and lowly reps dont get 330cis they certainly dont get convertibles, they are normally in base models, saloons and tourings, i would say even if it was a company its unlikey he was a rep

I had a new 325i from 1992 to 1994 and its the crappiest car Ive had (apart from a Fiat miriafiori at Uni, but that doesnt count...) Heavy, useless build quality, felt like I was driving a barge surrounded by cotton wool. Ive never owned a BMW since (oops I lie had a new Mini cooper for 6 months). You can take any BMW in your cup, except anything with an "M" badge at the back ;), and even then youll know that poor sod has spent four times as much as you, only to gain half a cars length on your cup. On a proper twisty track, youll leave any bmw behind.

CTR EK9 turbo

i think (hope) i got toasted by a white M3 the other day up a long hill. He had a massive run up and i could see him coming and i started to go for it, unfortunately the momentum (and the matter of 321 bhp) meant he came past and then changed gear and kept going. I held in in fourth for a while (him in 5th probably!), then when he slotted into 4th it was goodbye simon. The only thing im a bit concerned about is: it didnt have an M3 badge on the back, but everything else on it was "M3", and it looked pretty genuine. Maybe he took the badge off to make some people like me think - oh no iv been slayed by a kitted- 316i

S2000

Must have been a 330 nothing else (other than an M3 obviously) would have had a chance. Wait til its loosened up ;)

Golf GTI Ed30

Totally agree, although a 325CI dont go bad when they get going. M3? you wouldnt even get chance to see the badges. My old mans got one (E46) and he makes mincemeat of me.

Just wait till the old Cups got a few thou on the clock and go hunt him down again mate....

Titanium ph1 turbo

I wonder over the next few years what sort of performance mods will be available for the 172. If I could stick neck and neck with a 330 up to 120 with my bird in the car, then im sure that on my own with a few bhp more with some mods would see me safe. Im not modding it for the next 3 years though because of the warranty, plus you wont see me with any "max power" style mods like body kit or big wheels etc, firstly I think they look crap, I prefer my cars to look standard and unsuspecting, its bhp mods I want !! :)

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by chris79 on 24 May 2003
i dont normally do this as im not really a boy racer, but I guess the child in me got the better of me..

Welcome to the wonderful world of the 172. I was aretired boy racer till I got my 172. Im now saving for nitrous.

Bearing in mind the 330 has 231bhp (i think) making it almost 60bhp better than a Cup. Mid range and top end it should have no trouble beating a Cup, sorry guys. Id say it was probably a 328.

-Rob

Here are the performance figures (normal mk1 172 so maybe i stand corrected)

Vehicle
Year
BHP
0-30
mph
0-60
mph
0-100
mph
1/4 Mile
Seconds
1/4 Mile
mph

Renault Clio Sport 172

BMW 330i

S2000

Well stand corrected then Rob ;)

My old car stuck to the back of a 330 clubsport from about 50-120ish and the one i am on about on the motorway was a 330 ci.

So I would say the one chris is on about was also a 330.

S2000

The 330ci weighs 1505kg unladen so is 153bhp/tonne

Cup lets go on 172bhp and 1021kg so thats 168bhp/tonne ;)

Yes slugger but once momentum is overcome it will start to swing the other way me thinks, over 100mph by the looks of the stats :p

Why is everyone forgetting the most important fact that the guy in the beemer paid over thousands more for his "moment of glory". And it aint always the horse power that counts - its who has the biggest b***s....