ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup vs standard 172

is there much in it?

Im not one for caning it around bends....i like to go reasonably fast (ish) around bends, but just like to go quick in a straight line etc....say for example I was behind a 172 cup in a standard 172 and he floored it, would i keep right up to his bumper in a sraight line, or is there a massive difference between the two and hed blow me??

Thing is, im a bloody sweaty little bugger, and absolutely LOVE air con and the cup doesnt have it.

what to do??

Matt

Go for the 172 mate, all the toys, then if you want more grunt/handling you can do an ITBs conversion (individual throttle bodies) and stick on some well setup coilovers... job done :)

they are the same car, although one has the extra weight that almost amounts to having a passenger in for difference sake. TBH it will depend on the car itself as to which is faster and if you get the Ferrari killing option pack added to the cup that makes it the fastest car on the planet... yet slower than the Williams down the 1/4 mile ;)

For similar money you can get a Scooby, Evo or M3, older I know, but these will be MUCH quicker if straight lines are your thing, the Renos are about handling and quick turn of pace imo.

been and done the impreza wrx sti and M3 etc but they use too much petrol and the impreza is £1400 for insurance and the clio is £400 for insurance...massive difference..hehehehe.

Im 28 yrs old, 10 yrs no claims and zero points, so insurance on the clio is cheap, plus I only have 6k to spend and i want something new (ish) so a nice 02+ clio will do nicely over a 10 year old impreza or m3.

Matt

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 25 July 2005

For similar money you can get a Scooby, Evo or M3, older I know, but these will be MUCH quicker if straight lines are your thing, the Renos are about handling and quick turn of pace imo.

Too many people do that and then afterwards realise they cant actually afford to run them. Buying it is one thing, replacing tyres brakes and anything else thet breaks or wears out not to mention sevicing/insurance and petrol costs is another. Its sad when people with dellusions of grandure buy these cars and ruin them by barely running them on a shoestring budget.

Quote: Originally posted by scoobytyper26 on 25 July 2005

would a 2003 52 plate be a mk1 or mk2??

Mk2 Phase 2

also, is the clio 172 quicjer than a williams clio?

Dont even go there lol.

Matt

ITR UKDC2

Clios 172s are great and with those NC you have insurance should be very kind to you.

i would go for a 172 sport not the cup as you will find as the poeple have said above nothing really in it. down to the driver

so is the williams quicker or not than the 172???

Matt

Sore Point, both owners will argue theirs is quicker. Published times always quote the 172 as the faster.

published times like Loony says quote the 172 as being quicker... and people harp on about the 0-60 all the time, although look at the Santa Pod figures and you will see... ;)

ITR UKDC2

so is the williams quicker or not than the 172???

Matt

when i was following RAJK back from a meet in essex his williams was REALLY nippy!!!

i was in my standard Mk2 172

Ziel Nurburgring

Do you ever do track days?

172 full fat, is an ideal compromise. Has cruise, climate, 1/2 leather & Alcantara, ABS, ESP and Spare alloy wheel and has plenty of go and still handles great in corners.

172 has none of the above and is slightly quicker round a track in the hands of a competant driver.

Not being boastful, but my chubby 172 out performed 182s V6s and cups (not Evogone) at the oulten park day. Yes i have Vid evidence, and shows that they are very capable of holding up against supposed quicker cars.

It comes down to whether you want a car thats raw and all about speed, or one thats got pace and luxury (i use luxery in the loosest possible sense).

A good standard 172 with a few miles under its belt "should" be marginally quicker than a clean well looked after willy. Both 2.0 and both similar power to weight ratios. End of the day a numpty driving a 172 will be shown a clean set of heels in the same way a the reverse is true if you put the numpty in the willy and the more skilled driver in the 172.

172cup

cups are faster than any other clio...

get over it you silly jealous 172 drivers....

lol only jokin!.... i like my cup... lots. I have been up against standard 172s and i have to say i did have the edge, and not just by a wee bit. From braking to handling to power delivery... the cup continually feels more of a sports car. However, upon having the cup... i wish i had gone for the air con and toys. I prefer the way a cup looks though. So to buggery with the 172s... get a V6 lol.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 25 July 2005

Do you ever do track days?

172 full fat, is an ideal compromise. Has cruise, climate, 1/2 leather & Alcantara, ABS, ESP and Spare alloy wheel and has plenty of go and still handles great in corners.

172 has none of the above and is slightly quicker round a track in the hands of a competant driver.

Not being boastful, but my chubby 172 out performed 182s V6s and cups (not Evogone) at the oulten park day. Yes i have Vid evidence, and shows that they are very capable of holding up against supposed quicker cars.

It comes down to whether you want a car thats raw and all about speed, or one thats got pace and luxury (i use luxery in the loosest possible sense).
Cheers Blink ;)