ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup what spacers/camber bolts to buy and why?

S-Max & Mk7 GTi
Hey guys,

I’ve just purchased a 2003 standard 172 Cup as a bit of a project. My aim is to do a few track days a year but other than that the car will mainly live in the garage with the odd run out at weekends. My aim is to keep it pretty standard but add a few choice mods for both looks and performance. These things seem pretty hard to come by these days and while I bought it simply for something to tinker about with in the garage while the wife falls asleep on the sofa in front of Eastenders who knows one day I might get a good return on it?!

I’ve just bought a full set of genuine Renault Cup Shocks and I’m going to team them up with some CookSport springs.

Would love your advice as to what spacer/camber bolt set up you’d go for if you were me? Links would be ace too. Also what if any advantages/disadvantages of fitting spacers/camber bolts?!

Thanks

Attachments

• 50887B7F-8E03-4AA2-8101-3E85C43053C6.jpeg
    50887B7F-8E03-4AA2-8101-3E85C43053C6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 109

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
A lot of people say spacers ruin the handling. I've got 16mm/10mm and much prefer the looks, but havent noticed a difference handling, but it's a road car.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
15” wheels with an offset of 35 ish.
Camber at about -2.

Should do okay. No spacers too.

monaco 172
Can't say as I've felt a difference fitting 18mm front and 10mm rear hub spacers but I don't track it or drive like a hooligan

PH1 Oddy, M140i
DId you fit spacers and springs in the end ? What's your verdict? Hows life with the car? Mrs wondering where you go at the sound of Eastenders?!

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
The setup on mine is decent, although it is fully polybushed as well as having the Vibratechnics mounts however suspension wise it has Cup shocks and Cooksport springs.

7x15" wheel with a 195/50/15 tyre, I won't recommend anything as tyres are a personal preference I've found but spend as much as you can on the rubber, as that's the important bit along with brakes that make you stop when you need too lol.

Spacer wise, 10mm rear hub spacers (not camber shims) fitted with 16mm hubcentric wheel spacers up front with longer bolts (I don't trust stud kits due to a bad experience on my old 172), handles superb, really takes a lot to get it anywhere close to falling off in terms of handling.

-1.5/-2 of front camber should be fine for daily use.