ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/Cups with EibachSprings

If there are any of you out there, who use them, could you tell me what you think and any phots if poss, thanks Tim O

They are superb - really transform the car. try doing a search - theres been loads of posts on the subject

Ive found that since lowered with eibachs, the balance has shifted towards a little bit more understeer than before as the rears just grip perhaps due to less body roll, where as before it was abit more neutrally balanced. Ive yet to unstick the rear, even when atempting brutish lift off oversteer. Having said that, the yoko tyres are very grippy. However, Id say its still an improvement over the standard.

got em on me cup, the drop isnt great, althgo once settled you defo can see the diff, the front sits more agressively, and both ends sit nicely the same height above each wheel, rather than before when the rear was okish but you could fit a bus under the front arches!
Handlin has defo improved, the handlin was great before, but i feel so much more control, esp on roundabouts! bodyroll is reduced, and yet the ride is not affected, if anything its better! dont ask me how!

If your lookin to make your car look really low, these are not the srpings for u, but there are the daddies in my eyes!

Yes there is slightly more understeer, however, overall, the ride is better, theres less body roll, more stability on fast bends, turn in is more sharper. might try and increase the pressure on the rears to see if that will reduce the understeer, trade off is there may be more tyre wear and may make the back end more "snappy".

Whilst driving the 172 at brands i liked the way the rear end can be played with, the Cup is a bit more snappy because its harder to lose grip. The vibe im getting from you Jon is that characteristic has been lost with the 172 on Eibachs, but thats not suprising as thats what lowering springs generally do to a car.

-Rob

Im not saying that understeer will occur more than the standard setup. Given the same bend taken at the same speed, the eibach setup is more composed and you have the option of taking it at a higher speed. It just the back is less likely to step out to help you round the bend. So yes the progessive nature of the standard setup is slightly reduced, but the cornering limit is higher. Ill stick my neck out and say its probably not as fun and playful as the standard setup. But there are pros and cons and I think the pros out weigh the cons.

Cheers for the advice guys Ill probably order some!! Performance over looks anyday, just want to slightly sharpen an already awesome piece of kit.

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 09 May 2003

Whilst driving the 172 at brands i liked the way the rear end can be played with, the Cup is a bit more snappy because its harder to lose grip. The vibe im getting from you Jon is that characteristic has been lost with the 172 on Eibachs, but thats not suprising as thats what lowering springs generally do to a car.
I drove my Mk2 172 @ Palmersport before fitting the Eibachs, then again with the Eibachs on the same South-West track. As std the car rolled quite a lot in the bends, and could be slid across the track, which was great fun. With the Eibachs corner exit speeds were improved since there was less roll and you could carry more speed in. However, you couldnt slide the car through the bends anymore - it just gripped!

Overall, IMHO, on the track the std setup was arguably more fun, but the Eibachs actually make the car safer and faster on the road.

Because you seem to all be modifying them, i.e making them less friendly for day to day use, which you could of done by getting a Cup, and saving a packet while you were at it. All that for air con and ABS eh?

-Rob

Renault Laguna Coupe

My mods are Eibachs (Cup boyz do that too), exhaust (& that), strut brace (seen them on Cups), filter (ditto).

Same mods - just differing requirements for toys / luxuries.

And anyway when I bought my 172 there was no such thing as a Cup!

...leather seats, xenons, spare wheel, sound proofing, and exclusivity seeing that Cups are out selling 172s;)

Renault Laguna Coupe

LOL yeah. I still think that introducing the Cup was a master stroke from Renault though. Such a brilliant car for the money - completely blew the competition away.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 09 May 2003

Do any of you 172 owners regret not getting a Cup instead?

-Rob

What is there to regret? There is nothing between them, which I have proved. I just couldnt be bothered to switch the lights on! ;)