ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 discs and pads

BMW 335i M-Sport

has any one replaced there front and rear discs and pads with good performance gear ( ie not the renault tin foil crap ) if so where from/how much

thanks rob (upside down in a hedge)

I got Hillpower to replace my front disks and pads with tarox (only thing HP supply)

They were £280 fitted and are very nice, noisier cos they are 40 groove but less fade (higher upper thermal limit)

Ta

Jamie

Why ar my tarox discs squealing everytime I break and a grinding noise from the pads? Realing annoying me

FRST and 106 GTi

just because of the grooves. Its always cleaning your pad... and slashing it.

Good disks, but comes with a price... see ya pad.

*puts on flame suit*

Sorry, but grooved discs that remove mythical gases which build up under braking are pretty pointless. Well, actually, they might be pretty, but thats about it really! The grooves have little to no effect on a road car, and especially on something like a 172. All they do add is more noise. Changing the pads will have a much greater improvement in braking. Or, fitting larger discs with better pads. But, I have to say, the 172 brakes (even on the track) are superb, and well balanced for road use. Ive driven AKs car (with Tarox front brakes) and they are much sharper, for sure, but thats not to say the std 172 brakes arent any good - theyre bloody marvellous!

*takes off flame suit*

Agree with JJ172: had "groovy" discs on my Scooby - eventually switched back to OE discs as they worked better...

I have found the standard 172 brakes to be absolutely excellent and also very durable - 22,000 miles and 2 track days so far and they still have loads left on them.

They have also stood up very well to the track use with little to no fade after several laps.

I have to say that I find them brill too. I was amased when I had my 12,000 service yesterday that there is only 20% wear front and 5% back. Thats after the same 2 track days as Mark and 1 airfield day(which really hammered them). I know some folks on here have said that the dealers tried to change all their pads at the first service - I reckon they must be conning them!!

Theyre great!

172rob m8... the 172 braking system is superb.. outa the box.. if there is nothing wrong with the braking system on your car.. then you are simply braking too late for the chassis mass and suspension / tyres..

there ya go... all a bigger or better set will do for you is lock the wheels more easily.. ie LESS CONTROL .. and then the abs comes in anyway.....

max deceleration will eventually be down to the adheision limits of the tyre......

if you fit discs as big as the wheel and 20 pot calipers....itll still lock at the same point.

also Ben m8.. :) the shock plays a crucial part here... the ability to respond rapidly to spring movement is crucial in the braking phase,, a shock that is too hard will cause the tyre to not track correctly in respect of the surface.

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 02 October 2002

max deceleration will eventually be down to the adheision limits of the tyre......

;)..........i dont go into too much detail remember.......lol

With the new pads and discs the brakes are a lot sharper but then I like that.....thats the problem with mods - you cant remember what the car was like before.....