ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Engine problems

Clio 172
Hi,

Posting this on the off chance that it's been experienced before.

Yesterday, driving 172 (previously reliable and 62k miles) on quick country road. Overtook couple of cars, car running well, and then suddenly it felt and sounded like engine had gone to 3 cylinders and lost all torque. Dipped clutch and tried reving engine. Then suddenly for about 4 seconds it sounded as if the whole exhaust system was missing with that roaring sound. Engine then stalled and I coasted to a halt. Couldn't restart.

AA arrived and when I explained what had happened I got a very disbelieving look. Fuel, sparks, and exhaust system checked and ok. Difficult to tell if exhaust pulses from tailpipe were as strong as they should have been when turning engine over. Then it sounded as if the exhaust gases were trying to escape via the induction system!!!

We are guessing that the inside of the cat has collapsed or part of it has come away blocking the exhaust (stainless).

Car towed to local family run Renault garage (friends) and will be looked at Monday.

Anybody have any knowledge?

Thanks, Andy.