ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Exhaust Backbox prices????

Clio Sport 172
My exhaust backbox is F***ED on my 02 172....Cheapest I could find is £138 fitted, by a local exhaust garage, Renault wanted £103 for the exhaust and then £20 for the bracket also needed, not fitted!!!

How does my fitted price of £138 sound?

Clio Sport 172
Just found one on Ebay, Brand new, fits Sports 172 2000 onwards, £97 delivered...£40 saving....does make me think of doing it myself....never changed one tho, how hard/akward?

Clio 182
Piece of piss matey, i changed my exhaust from the cat back..
Just soak your nuts in WD40 (lol) and take your time, really easy tbh

i've a used genuine Renault box for sale at the moment; looking for about £40; plenty of life left in it if that's of any interest

Clio Sport 172
i've a used genuine Renault box for sale at the moment; looking for about £40; plenty of life left in it if that's of any interest

How much life would i get out of it?

Dont wanna be changing it again in a few months time....:)

RS mk2 172
The clamp supplied by Renault is crap and you may have to stick a weld on to secure it or it will fall off. £138 supplied and fitted sounds ok.

How much life would i get out of it?

Dont wanna be changing it again in a few months time....:)

there's an advert for it in the for sale section but, from memory, i think it's done 20k and has been on the car for less than 18 months - i'd say it has a good 2 years left in it yet

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
If your thinking of keeping the car a while then I would get a new stainless job. It was only £250 for my powerflow and its much better in every way. It might save you ££ and bother in the long run!

Clio Sport 172
I had a quote off Longlife Stainless steel exhausts earlier, and bcasue I have had 3 of my cars done in the past with them they will do it for £140 all done....trouble is thats 15 miles away and my exhaust is hanging off...it aint gonna last 15 miles...:(

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I had a quote off Longlife Stainless steel exhausts earlier, and bcasue I have had 3 of my cars done in the past with them they will do it for £140 all done....trouble is thats 15 miles away and my exhaust is hanging off...it aint gonna last 15 miles...:(

Take it off and go get it then at that price. I drove around for nearly 2 weeks and went about 40-50 miles without a backbox to get mine done. It hurt the ears above 3,000 rpm but worth it!

Clio Sport 172
Had my exhaust fitted earlier, opted for the aftermarket £138 ( guy done it for £132 after ) one, as the Stainless wasnt convenient, couldnt get a slot until Sat afternoon....anyway, when I hit ariound 3000rpm, the exhaust sounds a little louder, deeper...will this be due to it not correctly sealed and blowing, or will it be down to just a different exhaust??

Shouldnt a new one be completely quite tho??

PH1 iceburg
I had an aftermarket cheaper (meant to be standard job) but it was so loud and boomy i coudnt take it. On motorways it was ridiculous.

Clio Sport 172
Just been back to the garage to get the new exhaust looked at, and found a blow where the new backbox joins the rest of the exhaust...

The mechanic said that it will quieten down after a few weeks when the backbox gets sooted up and that deadens the noise some what!!
How true is that statement?

Also I dont know if its in my head, but it does seem down on power a little after new backbox fitted, would a blow/poor backbox casue this?

Clio Sport 172
The exhaust I had fitted is just a standard type from a local tyre and exhaust garage, I rang around lots of garages and apart from having a stainless one made no one could get hold of one apart from the garage I went to...

How do you mean OE Renault stuff?

Is it what comes as standard on the cars, as I thought that would be the best??

What would be bad about fitting these type of exhausts?