ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 From Hell

Took my 172 in for a 24k service the other day, went to collect it and was told the off-side front top mount had some play in it and needed replacing, after a short disagreement they agreed to do the work under warranty even though the car is lowered and I was a happy man. Dropped the car off a few days later for the new top mount at which point they also fitted a new shock absorber. I collected the car and took the long way home, the difference was amazing, every bend was far more fun than ever before and I had much more confidence in the handling, I was well pleased............then surprise surprise it all goes pear shaped I get a knocking noise form the front off-side shock, investigated it a bit and found the shock was floating around in its top mount with about 10mm of play, took it strainght down to Renault who had it for 5 hours and got nowhere with it, so its back in again on Monday for two new shocks, suspension mods and some other b*ll*cks . Apparently its a problem with 172/cups. Anyone else experienced this? if so how long did it take to get sorted? Im spending more of my time off at Renault than at home and Im wondering whether its time to get rid as this is just one problem in a very long list. Please someone restore my faith:(

320d M Sport

loads of 172 have this problem.

to be honest with u if thats the only prob youve had with it then youve been very lucky!!! Theres loads of 172s out there that have for more stuff go wrong than this.

Cack innit?!

This certainly isnt the first problem with it, Id estimate its been in the Renault dealership 25 days in total due to warranty work. Im sick of the bloody thing.

Mk2 Clio V6 / 996 C4S

Sorry to hear that mate.

Touch wood, Ive never had a problem with a Renault yet. Apart from the V6s autochanger not working.

Goes back in today when Ive finished at work.

Good luck with that mate.:)

Taking mine in soon for its 24k service, fingers crossed mine doesnt need new shockers cant believe theyd be knackered at that mileage.

Never had that problem before on any cars ive owned, 5gtt, swift gti etc.

172 Stu..

Still waiting for the knocking noise to be sorted out on my 172 and surprise, surprise something else is wrong with the piece of sh1t, the throttle potentiometer is now faulty which basically means that the bloody thing wont rev over 2500rpm................anyone else got a Clio from hell:(

VW ....

only 500 miles on the clock but have to say im well pleased with mine & not a single prob ..... but hey .... its probably early days !

yeah mine has 14k on it has never had any warranty work at all!!

Suppose that i am a lucky one!

Thing is I need to sell mine - with all the bad stories floating about there is not much chance on this site!

insignia

mine has been pulling badly to the right but only when on acceleration after 4500 rpm,as soon as it pulls on cam pulls like a b**ch to the left.It has been to renault 4 times now.Originally they said it needed new suspension,wishbone and bearings.Cost £600.00.the car is 2 months old and has 4000 miles on.It has never been in a crash and even Renault said that it couldnt have been in a crash.But they were saying it wouldnt be under warranty(time to see my solicitor)

Anyway picked car up otherday,(because the first time renault looked at it steering wheel allignment had been messed up & traction control and service light kept coming on after they had had it) and to my surprise was told that it did not have £600.00 worth of damage and they had alligned and balanced it all and it, was the best they could do. He said you do tend to find cars like this have torque steer but i know what torque steer is. Anyway car still pulls like a b**ch.Guy at Reno has said they will take it in again and i am welcome to drive another 172 and see if theirs a difference.I know there will be.

My 172 never got fixed, had it for a year and it was in the garage 12 times once for 6 weeks, therefore they took itback a gave a good deal on a 182, touch wood havent had any problems yet.

insignia

if they cannot fix mine will they do the same? i suppose i will have to do they same and pay the extra cash for the 182?

I had been fighting with the dealer from april 03 till January 04, i wasnt willing to accept that the knocking was suppose to be there, okay if it was a knock that only did it every now and then you would accept it but around every corner and when parking etc gets abit annoying after a while, i did have to put some extra cash, they gave me 9500 px which wasnt good but they matched the figure that i was willing to pay to get rid of 172,wasnt much.