ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Front bumper

Hi, i went to see a y plate 172 today with 15,000 miles on the clock for £9000, it looked a really nice one and drove well but just 2 little things, the front bumper/spoiler had a big gap where it bends round the bottom or the lights on one side, the other side was ok, could this be just fitted badly and be corrected cheaply? i think it may have had a new one recently as there were stickers on the inside of the arch mouldings. The other thing was that it had had 3 owners in short space of time.

What do you guys reckon?

Thanks Gazza

Clio v6

Personally I would worry about it. Maybe a good idea to ask a 172 owner to drive it and see if it handles any more wibbly wobbly than normal.

I dont know any other 172 drivers around wiltshire/hampshire. I did manage 2 ring the last registered owner and they sold it coz of the insurance so might not be all bad. It is in very good condition but just this one bad fitting corner of the bumper.

Clio v6

As I recall Mk1s had various gaps between the headlamps and the bumper even on new "Untouched" cars. Perhaps Im a little to cautious.

Go to reno with the reg no and chassis no. and get them to pull the history of the car, if anythings been done by a reno dealer it will be on there.

Thats true i think, the other side isnt absolutly flush but this one side does stick out more than it should. The cars been checked for major repairs or write off so if someone just cracked or hit the bumper and had a new one fitted then i wouldnt be worried, all the wings and engine bay look good so no obvious signs of a big front end impact. If im spending £9000 i want it 2 be right and little things like this really irritate me. Sorry for going on but this time i want a car that i dont have 2 worry about constantly, my current Mgf has given me alot of stress.....lol

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Where is teh car located?

Someone may well be near by and can go have a look with you.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Members get access to the member list by area/postcode, so you could have seen who is in that area.

The first picture is exactly where i mean, right in the middle of the light by those slats, it sticks out alot i can get my hand half down the gap! the otherside is flush. I just wanted 2 know if it could be corrected?

Thanks 4 the offer.

Mine had odd gaps on delivery, bigger on the passenger side. It got worse over time but was corrected when the bumper had to come off for engine work. You could get a finger down it but now its nearly flush.

Might be worth knowing that the alternator belt should be changed at 36K or 2 years old, has it had that done ?, might be worth a check if your paying good money, its a bumper off job to change the belt.

I wouldnt bother. you can get a mk2 52 plate for 10k...isnt worth it, plus the number of owners will devalue it and also for piece of mind because it could have been in an accident.

I noticed this on my car it appears that the bumper it flexing away from the body behind it. However over time the otherside has done the same and now they are equal so you cant tell i would say there is about a finger tips width between the fron bumper and the body under the headlight.

Thanks guys, i think im gunna leave it as a couple of things dont add up and i think the salesman was lying 2 me and he wouldnt do any favours for me, gunna keep looking though, i actually prefer the mk1 to the mk2.

Thanks.