ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Fuel Consumption

Having owned my 172 for about a week now I cant decide whether to beleive my fuel guage or not..

I have done 76 miles from a full tank and my guage is showing that I have used just over quarter of a tank of fuel, my trip thingy says that I still have 306 miles left before refill and that I am getting 32mpg.

Surely 76 miles should not have used over quarter of a tank, especially as its all been light throttle driving? My williams guage didnt even start moving untill I had done about 90 miles!!

:confused:

Lee

BMW M2C

They are amazingly economical cars really. I tend to see around 260 miles on a full tank before I fill up. Thats mainly commuting in heavy traffic with a good thrash at every given opportunity. With motorway driving I tend to see at least 300. By this time the needle is just above red, but when I come to fill up there is usually a good 10 litres left in the tank.

It may look odd, but it seems about right. Im near the red today, and will fill up on the way home. The trip computer says I have 80 or so miles left. When I come to fill up, although the needle is close to red I know there will still be plenty in there, usually around 10 litres as I mentioned.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Whats the going price to fill up a 172?

It costs me £40-£45 at the moment in my Primera.

Am I going to be pleasantly surprised or shocked at filling time?

Lee

BMW M2C

I always put a full tank of Optimax in. I cant remember how much it is per litre (84.9p per litre possibly), but based on having around 10 litres left in the tank, it costs me around £32.00 - £34.00 per week.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Ah thats ok then, so its about 10pence per mile [:)]

Thats better than I expected.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

I get about 300 miles before the light comes on, so 76 miles is bascially a 1/4 of that, and so the guage is right...

They do seem better in summer though?!

p.s. Do not trust the "miles left" on the trip computer!

Subaru WRX

I find with mine that my first journey to and from work of a week ( 50 miles ) seems to make the needle move to three quarters from full but then over the next two or three days it is still just above a quater and i get about 260 -280 miles depending on how bad the traffic is. If I fill up just when the light comes on I usually put roughly 44 litres of optimax in @ 79.9p per litre costing me 35 quid to fill up.

172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 07 January 2004

I always put a full tank of Optimax in. I cant remember how much it is per litre (84.9p per litre possibly),
Still about 79.9 at Moorecroft Lee!

I get about 350 miles from a tank which cost about £35-£40 (depending when i fill up) last one i red lined it to almost the bottom of the red line and it cost £40. I dont blast it that much as it takes till i get to work or home to be warmed up. You should see fairly good figures with a light right foot.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by griff_90 on 07 January 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 07 January 2004

I always put a full tank of Optimax in. I cant remember how much it is per litre (84.9p per litre possibly),
Still about 79.9 at Moorecroft Lee!
Thats where I usually fill up, and will be this evening. I used the Shell on the A5 Cannock on Sunday and they charge more!!

Ziel Nurburgring

Coco, go to the shell garage on Shinfield road. 79p PL and will cost about £30 from just above the red

herm i trust the miles left guage never done me wrong yet :) had it down to 26 miles left dunno why it hadnt gone blank tbh

normally takes about 35 to fill on motorway i tend to get 36-38 but anything is possible had 8 when 1/4 it and upto 52.9 on a very easy motorway run

First few segments of the gauge go down rapidly (first 75 miles or so) then it slows down. Trip computer is the best indicator of how much is left. I get around 30mpg on average.