ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Gear knob change

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
Hi all,

I am making a few minor changes to the interior of my 172. I was wondering if anyone with a mk 2 Clio has any experience fitting one of the following gear knobs to a 172/182? Any comments, advice or warnings would be very helpful! :smile:

s-l300.jpg

Cheers,
Tony

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Can't be helpful but I'm strangely not a fan of that, and looks very cold!

Last edited:
  Clio 182 FF
I've got one of these knobs from Turkey the fit is really good but they get a little hot in the Australian summer.

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
Can't be helpful but I'm strangely not a fan of that, and looks very cold!

Very true it does look like it could get rather cold, but it is aesthetically more appealing than the standard mk2 knob imo.. and we all know looks trump functionality every day of the week!

I love that, looks incredible

Agreed, I think it looks very smart. It was offered as an optional 'accesory' for the 197/200 and the megane's I believe (twingo may also have a variation).

Pretty sure Rollerdan had one fotted to hes PB 172. Im not sure hes on here anymore but he did have a project thread.

I will have a search and see if I can find his project thread, thanks for the info.

I've got one of these knobs from Turkey the fit is really good but they get a little hot in the Australian summer.

How easy is it to fit mate? And haha good info, the temperatures here in the UK probably wont be an issue then :smile:

Clio 182 FF
Super easy to fit it comes in two pieces the base which attaches to your stick and you just screw the knob on I've added a strip of Plummer's tape to stop it rattling loose and I keep one of my kids odd socks to stick on it when it's parked in the sun I'll try to get you a pic if I can tomorrow.

Clio 182 FF
Very true lol what a pain in the bottom, I contanted the mess by cutting a hole in a garbage bag sticking it over the shifter and sealing it with a rubber band and just cutting it off with a hacksaw all the bits of plastic files all stay in the bag not all over the car.

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
Super easy to fit it comes in two pieces the base which attaches to your stick and you just screw the knob on I've added a strip of Plummer's tape to stop it rattling loose and I keep one of my kids odd socks to stick on it when it's parked in the sun I'll try to get you a pic if I can tomorrow.

That sounds rather reasonable, unfortunately I've read some of the posts on here about removing the old one 😞 A picture would be great, thanks.

The best (imo) is a phase one gearknob, nice feel and weight and looks really nice.

Just a little too plain for me personally, but I don't doubt it has a nice feel to it!

Easy to fit the new one... pain in the arse to remove the old one!

So I have heard, its one job im certainly not looking forward to 😅

I wanted a standard gearknob, so bought another complete damaged gearstick but with a mint gearknob, hack sawed the bar off close to the gearknob, clamped it in a vice TIGHT, then soaked it in lubricant upside down so it worked its way in (ooo err), came back a day later with a heat gun, a pair of molegrips and stiltons and lots of rag around it to protect the leather, BOOM it came off... Absolute PIG of a job unless you are swapping to an aftermarket one

Maybe:

Dremel it off
Hacksaw it off
Molegrips and heat it

Clio 172 Cup
I have got one on my 172 cup makes the cabin so much better absolutely smashed my original to bits getting off tho despite my best efforts lol 😂

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Do you still have a link to where you bought it from perhaps? :)

Use to be on eBay mate but BEWARE they’re cheap for a reason - the lacquer and decal comes off the top :(
Have a search on clio197.co.uk and you will see the bad news.

Twingo RS Phase 1
Use to be on eBay mate but BEWARE they’re cheap for a reason - the lacquer and decal comes off the top :(
Have a search on clio197.co.uk and you will see the bad news.
Ye i dont mind, its a cheap alternative for a short while. But i cant find a link anywhere do you perhaps have one? 😅

Twingo RS Phase 1
Ye if possible i'd rather have a fake and customize it. Its cheaper than an original one. And i cant seem to find the original one with the surround for it anywhere or the handbrake for that matter. So if anyone could find the link that'd be awesome :p

Clio 172 Cup
I have looked mate and they are selling on eBay for stupid money I think renault parts direct do an og one maybe