ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Help me decide please

I dont know what to do.

Went to a garage to see a clio 172 went for a test drive checked it over, it all seems fine and really nice to drive.

Its an X reg with 21k miles on the clock its up for £7495.

I have a 1.4 corsa 1994 100k miles bodykit etc etc he said he would give me £800 for it. The book price is £500 - £600

I just dont know what to do should I buy it for £6695 with 6 months guarentee and they take my car.

or I have seen a private sale 172 30k on clock Y reg for £6400 fsh.

The question is do you think I should buy from a garage and pay more or go private, also how much do you reckon I would get for my corsa privately?

Im thinking about getting the private one and getting an AA check done on it. But I like the fact of 6 months guarentee.

What would you do?

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

x reg for £7495! thats way too expensive mate.

6 month warranty is nothing, get a private sale of a member on here!

7.5 k seems alot, there was someone selling a cup on here for that, i would buy a newer 172 for 7.5k - 8k with still some warranty on it (lets face it being a renault you will need it), i wouldnt buy a renault 172 that was out of warranty

Way too expensive for a x plater, especially seeing as someone on here is selling a cheap for £7750ish.

I think you lot are right I did think its abit expensive. According to parkers they go for £7400 from an independant dealer. I think parkers is wrong.

I would buy off this board but I live down in the south there doesnt seem to be many around this area. I am prepared to travel abit.

What do you think about the private sale for £6400 30k on clock, fsh

What age had climate control?

Quote: Originally posted by Manney on 08 March 2005

What are you after a mk1 172 or mk2 172.

The mk2s have climate control mk1s dont.
I would prefer a mk2 but cant find many in my price range around £7k.

I tempted to take a look at the private sale Y reg 30k, fsh for £6400

I could sell my car for £800 that mean the clio will cost me £5600 which is a bonus.

I paid 7k for my low mileage Y plate Mk1 172 back in august.

Would expect it to be worth only around 6k now.

The used 182s is starting to appear on the market have not helped mind.

Mk1 172 Exclusive No.17

Yes I would have a look at the Y reg one. If you dont like it walk away.

Also if I was you I would test drive the different versions i.e mk1, mk2 and cup to get a feel for them and to find out which one you like the best.

Worth noting the mk1 has different gear ratios than the mk2.

Quote: Originally posted by Manney on 08 March 2005

Yes I would have a look at the Y reg one. If you dont like it walk away.

Also if I was you I would test drive the different versions i.e mk1, mk2 and cup to get a feel for them and to find out which one you like the best.

Worth noting the mk1 has different gear ratios than the mk2.

I think I will nothing to loose

Thanks

Quote: Originally posted by Mark_Petty on 08 March 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 08 March 2005

Test drive em all.
i will try, I find it hard just going for a test drive then walking away especially when you get a pushy salesman.
Just say youve got other appointment.The best thing about buying anew car is you have such a wide choice.

What about a sligthly higher milage Mk1. Personally Id prefere something to have adveraged 14k/yr than 5k as it will he longer journeys ie less wear and you can get them cheaper.

A private sale Mk1with say 60k on is just over £5k which is a big price change,even if you budget £500 for the 72k serviceyou have a car with the same servicing as a 182 ie next service is a minor etc. (Smokeys selling his Mk1 for this sort of price).